Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bought new Z this weekend. Did not notice CURBED WHEEL!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 07:35 AM
mxpx_8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought new Z this weekend. Did not notice CURBED WHEEL!!!!!

Guys and Gals I need some help!

I just bought an '04 Touring Z this past weekend (Saturday). It was supposidly flat bedded from another dealership. It only had 40 miles on it. Which is more than I really wanted, but not too many.

Well anyways I just noticed today that the right front wheel is curbed all most 80% of the diameter! The salesman stated on Saturday that he would call me in a couple of days to see how everything is going. What do I tell him in order to get the wheel replaced. I Sware I did not do it. And I am afraid they will try to accuse me, you know how dealerships are. I have been so careful with the car for the two days I have owned it. I have not even came close to parking next to a curb.

Please help!

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:43 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Wow. You should REALLY inspect a car from top to bottom before taking posession of it. I bet you'll never make that mistake again. You can try a couple of things--take it to the dealer and see if they'll have it refinished or replaced for you. Explain the situation and take the chance on them being cool or total jackasses. Or you can have a wheel/tire place refinish the wheel for you. Either way, you may end up footing the bill.

How bad is the damage?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:53 AM
WayneTN

Default Re: Bought new Z this weekend. Did not notice CURBED WHEEL!!!!!

Originally posted by mxpx_8
The salesman stated on Saturday that he would call me in a couple of days to see how everything is going. What do I tell him in order to get the wheel replaced.
DO NOT WAIT until the salesman calls. Call the dealership now and tell them that the car was supposed to be delivered in a new condition and that, although you missed seeing this damage when you bought the car, it was obviously there when they delivered it to you. I would ask them to replace the wheel with a new one. Maybe they will. If not, ask them to have it repaired for you.

btw, was it dark when you took delivery? Did they have the car parked with that side towards a building where you wouldn't notice it when you walked up? If they knew about the damage, maybe they tried to keep it from being noticed. Just a thought.

Anyway, good luck.
WayneTN
Old 10-06-2003, 09:10 AM
mxpx_8

Thanks for the replys.

It was parked in the light inside. I did look it over three times. Inside and out. Actually I took a while to look it over. I can't believe I missed it! That is what worries me. Maybe they covered it up so I would not notice?

Great idea about not waiting. I will call right now!
Old 10-06-2003, 09:17 AM
alienx

You can't catch everything, unless you already had the same experience with another car and knew what to look for.

I had cracked mud guards on the right side of mine. I only saw the front one. The back was cracked too. I should have looked at the body around the mud guards to make sure whatever broke them didn't damage the body as well. I got lucky, but I could have had a problem.

I would call the dealer immediately and tell them. Hopefully, they will see you are sincere, and replace the wheel. I wouldn't offer them the chance to refinish it. Make them order one from Nissan.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:52 AM
MadMax76

That's why I will have a video camera with me when I will be taking my Z home. Oh, and of course I would like to document such an occasion too .
Old 10-06-2003, 09:58 AM
mxpx_8

Originally posted by MadMax76
That's why I will have a video camera with me when I will be taking my Z home. Oh, and of course I would like to document such an occasion too .
Ohh I did notice something else on the car when I was inspecting it. Maybe you guys can also help me with this. On each side of the car, just in front of the rear wheels, there are what look to be clear plastic protector (?). They are on the lower half of the car just in front of the rear wheels, the side closest to the front of the car. Any ideas? I need to look at another Z to see if they have them. I am thinking that it my be some type of protector for shipping.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:19 AM
Conceyted

Originally posted by mxpx_8
Ohh I did notice something else on the car when I was inspecting it. Maybe you guys can also help me with this. On each side of the car, just in front of the rear wheels, there are what look to be clear plastic protector (?). They are on the lower half of the car just in front of the rear wheels, the side closest to the front of the car. Any ideas? I need to look at another Z to see if they have them. I am thinking that it my be some type of protector for shipping.
I have them too? I dunno what they were but one side was put on poorly and it was already coming off some, so I went to pull it off, it is a film. Same material as a clear bra... i was pissed but i had to pull it off. The other side is on perfectly and I am gonna leave it for a while. You can get it off but it isnt easy!
Old 10-06-2003, 11:33 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by Conceyted
I have them too? I dunno what they were but one side was put on poorly and it was already coming off some, so I went to pull it off, it is a film. Same material as a clear bra... i was pissed but i had to pull it off. The other side is on perfectly and I am gonna leave it for a while. You can get it off but it isnt easy!
those are rock guards and are supposed to prevent your paint from getting hit with rocks kicked up by your front tires. That part they're on sticks out a little and is prone to getting chipped. you should not have taken it off.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:37 AM
mxpx_8

Originally posted by zeroday
those are rock guards and are supposed to prevent your paint from getting hit with rocks kicked up by your front tires. That part they're on sticks out a little and is prone to getting chipped. you should not have taken it off.
Excellent! Thanks for the reply! I was starting to wonder if it was missed by the dealership and they were to remove it. I will leave it on then!
Old 10-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Conceyted

Originally posted by zeroday
Well, one of them was peeling bigtime. About 1/8 of it was already up off the car. They must have installed them wrong. Anyway, sucks for me, looks alot better without them though.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:42 PM
mxpx_8

Well, one of them was peeling bigtime. About 1/8 of it was already up off the car. They must have installed them wrong. Anyway, sucks for me, looks alot better without them though.
At least some moron did not curb ur wheel!
Old 10-06-2003, 04:52 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They shouldve put the clear film on our front bumper! Its a good thing I have mud guards. Even with them I notice little nicks right behind the front guards from rocks.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:53 PM
archman350z

Sorry to hear about the wheel. Unfortunately, stuff like this is hard to take care of. The law pretty much states that once you sign the paperwork, it's legally yours. It may be too late for you, but hopefully others will read this thread before buying their cars.

Always thoroughly inspect the car BEFORE signing anything. However, keep in mind that you may not (and are likely not) going to find everything that may be wrong with the car, so focus on the big stuff. The cars must pass a Nissan inspection by the mechanics before being sold, so they will likely catch anything mechanically wrong. And remember, up until the very moment where you sign the papers, you can refuse the car until they fix what is wrong, no matter how small...even if you custom-ordered it from Japan, you still have the right to refuse it.

There are, inevitably, somethings like these wheels that will slip through the cracks. Don't quote me, but I think there may be a legal loop-hole here in that if you promptly bring the problem to the attention of the dealer, you can still get it fixed. The law often uses language like "a reasonable amount of time," so the sooner you find it, the better.

Even if the dealer is not legally obligated to replace the damaged wheel, it is still in their best interest to do so. A mad customer can have a serious impact on your business. The cost to replace this wheel will be minimal for the dealer because they'll get it "at cost" anyway. In fact, if you dealer DOESN'T offer to replace the wheel, post it here and us 350Z owners will make it known...all across the planet...
Old 10-07-2003, 08:14 AM
fairladyz33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure learned that lesson...the first time I washed my car after I got it, I noticed a scractch on my roof right above the front windshield. It was about 15cm long!!!!, but not too deep, so I just let it go...but ya...it still pissed me off that I hadn't inspected the car before I took it from the dealer.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:20 AM
RedHerring2

You said touring, are they 18s? If they are 17s I have a rim that you can have. I too had two ( minor ) curbed rims, but two are perfect.

Oh yeah, I replaced them with some very nice 19s and they are just sitting in the garage.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:25 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

GL, I hope you get the wheel replaced.

Did a salesman do a walk around with you and point all the features, ect? If not, write them up when you get the survey in a few weeks.

Its best to be nice and kiss their a$$, and hopefully it will pay off.

If you bought it at my dealer (ACADEMY NISSAN) then you can forget it, LOL.

As far as the clear bra on your side skirt. That is exactly it, a clear bra, but much thicker than the front end clear bra's.

I would reccomend a clear bra, I ahve no scratches, dings, ect.

BUT DO YOUR HOMEWORK on clear bra's. Their are some lousy installers out there, including the dealer.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:44 PM
mxpx_8

Originally posted by RedHerring2
You said touring, are they 18s? If they are 17s I have a rim that you can have. I too had two ( minor ) curbed rims, but two are perfect.

Oh yeah, I replaced them with some very nice 19s and they are just sitting in the garage.
WOW! Thanks for the offer, but they are the 18's.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:49 PM
mxpx_8

Originally posted by zand02max
GL, I hope you get the wheel replaced.

Did a salesman do a walk around with you and point all the features, ect? If not, write them up when you get the survey in a few weeks.

Its best to be nice and kiss their a$$, and hopefully it will pay off.

If you bought it at my dealer (ACADEMY NISSAN) then you can forget it, LOL.

As far as the clear bra on your side skirt. That is exactly it, a clear bra, but much thicker than the front end clear bra's.

I would reccomend a clear bra, I ahve no scratches, dings, ect.

BUT DO YOUR HOMEWORK on clear bra's. Their are some lousy installers out there, including the dealer.
Yeah he did a walk through of the car. And now that you mention it I remeber as the salesman and I were walking to the car the detialer kid was rubbing it down. The salesman was ahead of me quite a bit, and the two were whispering to each other as I apporached. And they stopped when I got next to them. We were directly next to the curbed wheel! And then it seemed like they were trying to get me to look at the inside of the car!!! AHH HUH! I wonder if they knew about it.... I had a feeling something was up, that is why I started looking over the outside of the car. Damn I wish I had noticed that wheel @)#($*@#

Anyways I called the dealership today and low and behold my salesman has the day off. I spoke with the new car manager and he stated that I would have to talk to the salesman to get something set up. FYI I only do the run around one time. If I call the salesman and he acts dumb then I escallate. At least I have some ammo....I have yet to get the servy thing they hold very dear.....
Old 10-07-2003, 03:44 PM
jackwhale

Be calm and just tell them that the wheel was damaged. It doesn't cost them that much to fix it--they probably contract it out. It's also a good opportunity for the dealer to demonstrate that they want to provide you with good service. If they won't pay for this, then it is time to look around at other dealers.

I had a couple of curb scratches on my right side wheels. They were going to fix them but I ended up adding a few more and finally I just took all four wheels and had them re-powder coated. Cost $75. each wheel. The dealer can certainly work a better deal with someone.

You also can learn

Quick Reply: Bought new Z this weekend. Did not notice CURBED WHEEL!!!!!