Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

college + 350z = bad idea ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 AM
WhiteNoiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reminds me of a story I heard the other day. My friend was walking to his car in the campas parking lot as a guy on a long board went past him. He watched an XB back out, and the kid broad side the XB... the longboard kept going lol.

Last edited by WhiteNoiz; 08-28-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:16 AM
andy_meng1024

Originally Posted by scotts300
Ah, the good days at RU. Which campus? I'll assume New Brunswick, because if it was either of the others, I doubt you'd have such luck. I spent 7 years on the banks myself.

Those are some rich corn-fed college kids. You have a C-class and a 350Z on campus? The only time I ever had 2 cars on campus was when I had an absolute beater for the winters at RU. Most kids are lucky to have one car on campus.
Had. My C was leased and I bought my Z before the lease was over so I could leave the C in the shop while they took all my mods off. Most good cars are owned by international students so money is usually not a problem. We don't need to live in a dorm so cars are usually kept in apartment garage here.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nothing makes people wanna a key a car more than taking up 2 spaces.

I immediately think ricer douche regardless what kinda car. Dont park like that, esp at college where parking is a premium. Your car WILL get f'd.

IMHO, Z is an awful car for college. Unless u dont have many friends, 2 seaters suck for that time in your life

Originally Posted by Adrians07Z
I don't mind parking far away .. I either do that or take up two spots whenever I go places like home depot (my neighbor parks AT the door )

not really sure what a college would think about the two parking space thing

as far as college .. was looking at Georgia Southern .. I live just south of Atlanta and theres not many that offer mechanical engineering besides Georgia Tech which is a little over my budget .. haha
Old 08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
urbancamoM7

i bought a $200 corolla when i was in college and used it for school while my nicer car stayed in the garage at home. i had more fun in that beater than my other car.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Lento

I park my Nismo at Northeastern in Boston daily. For the past 2 years I have had no problems. I always park on an end spot slightly outside the lines to avoid door dings, and nearly always park my Z in one of the garages at night. (Never take up 2 spots though)

No problems so far having it out during the day though. Once I left it outside on a Saturday night and came back to find an empty 30 box under my rear defuser.

I would never think to get a beater to drive around. At the end of the day its a car, not a human being. I have a blast driving in and out every day... It gives me something to look forward too.

Just use your common sense and always choose a spot that is either:

1) End spot which allows you plenty of room to park outside the lines, avoiding other doors, but at the same time doesn't put you in the middle of a walk way or impede traffic.
2) Paralelle park in spots which are made for SUV's not compact cars.
3) Spots with structural barriers between you and other cars. (pillars, walls, etc)
4) Not near any known dangerous zones (for example in Boston... Roxbury)

5) Don't leave any valuables out in your car.... Don't leave your power adapter uncovered, don't leave any GPS suction cup markings on your windows, and close all your cubby holes.

Don't let people scare you. Just be smart and enjoy having a nice car to drive around

Last edited by Lento; 08-28-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Kirbaaybaayy

well im in highschool and driving mine there every morning and leaving it in the parking lot is scary lol but i park by people i know and under the camera its mainly all about where you park basically and ya use a cover
Old 08-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn .. thats alot of answers in a short period of time ..

looked at the southern poly website ... I'm gonna have to look at that option as well as georgia southern .. didn't know of it till now ... do they have a better program / reputation than georgia southern .. and I also noticed that there mechanical engineering program is brand new ??

guess I'll ditch the car cover idea then .. figured it would mess with parking permits and stuff, along with standing out .. regular cleaning and waxing should be sufficient

I'm not worried about making the payment and insurance .. got full insurance under my dads name since he cosigned the loan and just payed it last week for a full year ($1100) .. no way in hell I'd be able to afford the insurance if it was in my name even though I have a spotless driving record along with a CDL

my payment is a hair over 400 / month which isnt much for me considering I can make that easily by painting a car, or couple small jobs, or a few bumpers each month .. I know a few people / shops that ive worked for on the side before, and I have a booth at home I can do small jobs in if I have too

as for the car .. I probably need to stop worrying about it getting damaged and just enjoy it .. plus I can buff out small scratches and get small dings PDR'd (got one tiny one in the rear hatch, not really a dent just a flat spot sorta)
Old 08-28-2009, 06:48 PM
R350nate

ive had my z at school for 2 years and i got 3 dings within a month and none the rest of the time so i think its just probability. i agree with the advice that's been said about end parking spots. they need to invent a huge square of foam that has ur car cutout on the inside and goes over top of the car. Thus making ur entire parking spot one huge block of foam with a car in it! haha
Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Adrians07Z

.. now thats a good idea

have no idea how that will fit in the "trunk" of our cars though .. haha

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 08-28-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 PM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1

IMHO, Z is an awful car for college. Unless u dont have many friends, 2 seaters suck for that time in your life
This reasoning is terrible. What did you do in college, drive your friends around campus in circles looking cool and yelling out the window at girls? Who cares how many people fit in your car, who the f*ck wants to be the one driving anyway... my z is the ultimate get outta sober driver free card, nobody even bothers to ask because they know you can't fit. So unless you like to taxi your friends around or you just like having fun watching them get wasted without you then by all means, get some lame backseats. Besides what other car (within reason in the same price bracket) does better with the ladies than the z? Can't name too many... and you are lying through your teeth if you say girls in college don't care what you drive.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 PM
aRYip

i have no problem to keep my Z as i park my Z @ my university even the Z is almost one of the top ride @ my U (i know there are 1 prosche, few BMWs not even a M3, and few Benz no AMG, SL etc, only c-class and 1 s-class and 1 vette) the rest of them are civic, corolla, sunfire, van etc...
Old 08-29-2009, 12:11 AM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bag college so the Z gets no unwanted damage.The blue collar working man is the backbone of America.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:19 AM
Adrians07Z

two seater no good for college .. the main reason I bought the car

I own / have owned a few other 2 seater cars and love them .. don't have to taxi everyone around and the girls have a thing for them

as for no college and keep working .. no way in hell .. I'd rather go $60,000 in debt at college than work the rest of my life in the auto collision field .. plus EVERYONE from my teachers at tech school to the paint reps that got me the job told me to get out whilst I could

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 08-29-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Z33_kid

keep the car just find a good parking spot... some times i park in the teacher area so my car wont get hit since people dont know how to drive
Old 08-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Flick Montana

Just enroll at VT.

You'll be so thankful for every day you survive, you won't give a crap about your car being dinged.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM
I DTW I

Depends what kinda school it is. If it's a huge school right in the middle of downtown I wouldn't bring the Z.

But if it's like MY college, in suburbia there's nothing to worry about. Just get a low comprehensive deductable just incase.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Adrians07Z

VT

as for Georgia Southern .. its in the middle of nowhere .. I don't think I'll have too much trouble .. and parking in the teachers area is a good idea too

was lookin at southern poly .. its in marietta / atlanta georgia .. high crime and bad reputation for the school .. so thats off the list

seen good things about georgia southern's engineering programs .. so GSU it is .. now just gotta take the SAT oct. 10th and get accepted .. then I'll be closer to being 60K in debt
Old 08-30-2009, 06:01 PM
shogunxp

i never drive my Z to campus. very very bad idea. (if you love the car that is.)
Old 08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
shadyonedeath

You can't protect your car forever. Eventually some inconsiderate fck is going to ding it because he/she is too lazy to find another parking spot or lacks a sense of distance between your cars.

I hate it too, but you gotta live with it.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Flick Montana

You know, I was ticked when I got to our new apartment and saw how small the parking spaces were. Then I noticed that the guy who parks next to me is in a really nice 300ZX. I know he won't ding my doors.

Just park next to the regular who has a nice car. You park next to a beater and you're asking for it.

Quick Reply: college + 350z = bad idea ???