Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please help, looking to finally get myself a Z :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
scrillasherv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, looking to finally get myself a Z :)

Hey all,

New to the forum, thought it would be a good forum to join to get some info on 350'z from guys who have them.

I understand there are a million of these posts, but I thought I'd put mine since I haven't seen any on google or on any forums about my particular question.

I am finally looking to get a Z. My budget is 13-14k. Just like most people, I am looking to get a good deal on a used one. I am patient and check every day to see new deals, and have no problem waiting for a good one for a good price.

My question is, which year am I best off getting? I have heard the 03's have the most problems since they are the first year they were made. In my price range, I have noticed I can get an 03 with lower miles, an 04 with 70-90k miles, or an 05 with higher miles as well. Which year would be the best to get (least repair/recall problems, those kinds of things) and also how reliable would they be at such mileages above 70k or so? Which maintenance would generally have to be done around then and how much does it cost?

Sorry I wrote so much, just really looking for some help.

Thank you in advance for all the help
Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. But learn to use the search function or else people will flame you!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Sor

I would go for the '04. Stay away from the '03. Also do some search into the '04.5 models. GL

Last edited by Sor; 08-27-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of '03, '04 and '05. The '05 has the least mechanical issues. Little things, but nothing major that I'm aware of. I've got an '05 with around 49k and I've had no mechanical problems.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 PM
scrillasherv

i'm real sorry, I actually did use the search bar, and looked up reliability, but all there was was people bashing on people for stupid stuff and not even answering their question. thank you guys for actually answering my question, any more feedback would be great. thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM
2k6-z33

Yeah go with the 05...
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM
scrillasherv

For example, an 05 with 95k miles would be better than an 03 with say 70k? Both costing $12.5k.

Thank you
Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
pbass6811

I gotta say that I bought an '03 w/81k and all I've replaced is the driver's side headlight ballast(and I put new suspension parts on it, but only because I wanted to, not because it needed it!)! The windows work. The tranny shifts smoothly! The motor purrs! All the electrical stuff works(lights, mirrors, turn signals, the ONE acc outlet! !)! I have friends with newer cars that aren't as solid as my Z! I understand 1st year new model bugs, but if the car has been taken care of, shouldn't be a big deal.

I'd rather have a well-maintained '03 than a ragged-out '05...

I take it all back...my ONE cupholder won't pop out now(ONE cupholder! REALLY?)! I had to pry it out and now I'm afraid to push it back in! P.O.S.!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 PM
scrillasherv

What kind of maintenance have you had on it? And how many miles do you have on it now?

Btw thanks for the response and YES I AM A HOOSIER, born in Indianapolis, representing the Colts here in San Diego.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:02 PM
pbass6811

Sweet! GO COLTS!

So far, I've only done the oil change and the suspension swap. I have a truck that I drive ALOT(I play bass guitar in a working band and it's damn near impossible to haul gear in a 350Z, except for a couple of basses...or one bass and a groupie! ), so I don't put many miles on the Z. When dealing with used cars, I think how the car was maintained by the previous, or current, owner is way more important than the model yr. Like I said, a well-taken care of '03 is still a better buy than a poorly taken care of '05!

Right now, I've got about 82k on it...

Last edited by pbass6811; 08-27-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 AM
scrillasherv

I'd really like to get the 6 speed manual on it. I'm thinking worst comes to worst and I need to replace the clutch soon after I buy it, is it a replacement that I could do? I'm not too good with car repairs but I learn quick and enjoy following a DIY. I've had a Ford Ranger Truck....which is pretty easy to replace parts on. Is the Z relatively easy to replace them as well?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you looked at the RSX? Fast and reliable.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ you kill me.

My 2003 is pretty much perfect. Wear and tear aside I have had
a perfect ownership experience. Take your time and find a great
car. Be willing to travel to pickup.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
pbass6811

Originally Posted by lgear080
^ you kill me.

My 2003 is pretty much perfect. Wear and tear aside I have had
a perfect ownership experience. Take your time and find a great
car. Be willing to travel to pickup.

And since I just found out that you can put remote start on a 6mt car...I like my "previously enjoyed" '03 Enthusiast even more(although I did hafta drive 100 mi to get it, the trip home was worth it!)!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 PM
albaugh81

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Have you looked at the RSX? Fast and reliable.

Nice car.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
scrillasherv

Originally Posted by albaugh81
Nice car.

I've actually seen some posts on forums as I look around, and been thinking about the RSX Type-S. Wouldn't touch an rx-8 with a ten foot pole, rotary isn't the way I'm going to roll. I've just driven rear wheel drive and really enjoy the feel much more than a front wheel drive, although I haven't ever driven one. A while back my friend totaled his rsx while I was in it going around a rounded 90 degree turn at 85 mph, and all i remember was the car just going straight forward into the trees.

Couldn't tell if you were sarcastic about the RSX hah, since it's a Z forum
Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 PM
bloodwings19

Years really isn't as important as how the car was maintained, but if you have patience, you can find a really nice car. Try craigslist, they offer the best option to buy a car, if it isn't hoarded by dealers. Some sellers are so desperate to sell that a lowball price they would accept. Look at this:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/1347520055.html

Just a little above your budget and the car's mileage isn't all that high. Don't buy a car if you can't see it in person because pictures will not pickup the true condition unless the pictures are very closeup, and it is costly to do transport car. If I was in your shoes, I'd pickup a Z that isn't daily driven and well-maintained, just like my car except I'm not selling (and my co-workers/friends are lining up if I do- lol). Besides driving it, the first thing I check is if the car has been wrecked/rebuilt, or not, than check the front bumper, the Z is notorious with freckled bumpers if daily driven. Then I check the cigarette holder to see if it has been smoked in, or not. Look at the interior, if it isn't used as a primary car, the interior should have some new car smell, or the interior parts don't look worn (driver's seat). Patience is the key to find a gem, you'll find someone.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:56 PM
scrillasherv

Originally Posted by bloodwings19
Years really isn't as important as how the car was maintained, but if you have patience, you can find a really nice car. Try craigslist, they offer the best option to buy a car, if it isn't hoarded by dealers. Some sellers are so desperate to sell that a lowball price they would accept. Look at this:

Just a little above your budget and the car's mileage isn't all that high. Don't buy a car if you can't see it in person because pictures will not pickup the true condition unless the pictures are very closeup, and it is costly to do transport car. If I was in your shoes, I'd pickup a Z that isn't daily driven and well-maintained, just like my car except I'm not selling (and my co-workers/friends are lining up if I do- lol). Besides driving it, the first thing I check is if the car has been wrecked/rebuilt, or not, than check the front bumper, the Z is notorious with freckled bumpers if daily driven. Then I check the cigarette holder to see if it has been smoked in, or not. Look at the interior, if it isn't used as a primary car, the interior should have some new car smell, or the interior parts don't look worn (driver's seat). Patience is the key to find a gem, you'll find someone.
wow that helped so much, thank you so much for helping me out. I was afraid I'd get flamed for this, but everyone's been helping me out quite a bit. appreciated!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:58 PM
scrillasherv

Originally Posted by Tannoy
lol....did he really think it would hold? Although I did the same thing in cali driving a 91 Eclipse back in 91. Just passed a car doing about 60 going into the turn and my friend saying "Don't do it, don't do it. go straight"...BAM into the dirt embankment we went........lol. Wheels turned car went kinda straight.....Live and learn.
DAMN. That is crazy. Yeah, he wasn't wearing his contact lenses and the turns looks almost like a slight left turn that you could prob make going fast. But it swoops up and to the left 90 degrees. I always have a fear with front wheel drive cars now, even when being a passenger in a front wheel drive merging on one of those spiral entrances to the freeway, I can't help but hold on. I've had a Jeep, a lifted truck, and a BMW 325i, and all are RWD and take turns better than any fwd hah
Old 08-28-2009, 06:03 PM
scrillasherv

Originally Posted by bloodwings19

Also, that car's salvaged :/ some people buy salvaged but I personally won't touch one. thanks though!

Quick Reply: Please help, looking to finally get myself a Z :)