Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

near death/hydrolock experience!!!! (cai)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
haeshik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Jenkins651

Wow I have honestly never thought about it, but by all this you guys are saying I can't buy a vented hood with my aem intake installed ? It makes perfect since if I stop to think about it though...but would a cf hood be allow enough water in to cause this to happen?

Last edited by Jenkins651; 02-08-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 PM
BonesZ33

Originally Posted by dynamic21
To those calling Californian's morons for "not knowing how to deal with rain", please enlighten us? You must think we're purposely driving into these f--king puddles? lol... gimme a break.

The So-Cal rain this year kicked my *** a couple of weeks ago when my AEM CAI sucked up water and killed my engine for a couple of days, but it's been fine since. There's really no "knowing how to deal" with rain other than taking precautionary steps like having good tires, installing bypass valves on CAI's or removing CAI's altogether, and of course driving safely for the conditions. If you hit a puddle, you hit a puddle, wtf are you going to do? Sometimes you see them too late and can't avoid them. Some puddles look completely innocent shallow little things and they end up being really deep when you actually hit them. What about situations when you can't go around a puddle or all of the above? lol

There's nothing like a semi-truck driving next to you on a freeway blowing water directly at your windshield like a fire hose and taking away all visibility. Add blistering rain and make the car a low profile 350z that has a very difficult time in wet conditions, and yet somehow it's never a problem for us "dumb" Californians.

I didn't know you had so much pride in your..... state
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
blitz2k1

Moral of the storey....get a water bypass valve/filter !
Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
dynamic21

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
Amazing response, I give it a 10.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More rain coming this week!!! Dont get caught underwater like this guy!!! AEM BYPASS VALVES IN STOCK!!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

lol. laughing at the poor car owners expense and the well placed/timed ad to cash in on his misfortune.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
lol. laughing at the poor car owners expense and the well placed/timed ad to cash in on his misfortune.
Hey man if it helps it helps... Might save someone's motor. and to the OP glad ur motor is ok. I had this happen once to my old 94 Maxima but at the time i just let it sit for 2 days in the summer heat and she started right up.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if the car is cranking then its not "hydro locked" evidently it is spinning internally so nothing is locked. The water only creates PSI not allowing the pistons to move with out an explosion.

You probably need a new MAF. Also i would crank the car with all plugs out and let w/e's inside splash out. You probably sucked in water from the exhaust as well. I mean if your in a flood and the car dies. What possessed you to Crank her up with out a snorkel? hm hm hm.

Your Z is to be saved very easily. I did the same thing back in the day with my BMW. You Live and you Learn.

Anyway clean her up. Get some NEW plugs. But do not put them it until your posotive cylinders are dry. I'd unplug the fuel pump relay as well so that fuels is not being splashed inside as well. That way you know its dry. Get yourself some carb cleaner and go to work on each cylinder Hole. then crank and crank till it looks like no more splashing and is dry. also get a new AIR MASS METER!! or MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR!! however u want to call it.

then you should be fine.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
BonesZ33

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
More rain coming this week!!! Dont get caught underwater like this guy!!! AEM BYPASS VALVES IN STOCK!!!!

Whats the point of buying a 300 $ CAI, than buying a 50$ Bypass so water does not get in your engine? Why not just buy a short ram intake for a lot less and never have to worry about it.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Dr. Venture

i have driven in TYPHOON style rain storms and i have an INJEN CAI. No problems for my Z thus far.

DUKE bought an AEM CAI and in one week just from rain we already changed his MAF.

Mine is direct front behind the grill and his is behind the left corner marker on the bumper. Go figure.

Might be luck or might just be design, who knows.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
WhiteNoiz

Scary. Glad your car seems to be ok.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

He said he cranked it again trying to start it in 10" of water? Really, really a bad idea. You should be glad it did NOT start, would have made matters worse. Once you get it running I would do an oil change about every 100 miles for a month or so. Doubt the engine is ruined.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:52 PM
maxstyle

Whats the point of buying a 300 $ CAI, than buying a 50$ Bypass so water does not get in your engine? Why not just buy a short ram intake for a lot less and never have to worry about it.
Take it easy, There is nothing wrong with providing your engine a breath of fresh air. And to be honest if someone wants to spend the money to do so I personally don't think you should criticize them for doing so. they are not trying scare anyone into buying something they don't need but for those who would rather be safe than sorry it is a cheap insurance policy to help prevent such situations.

This is a far more effect solution than the "water repellent" pre filters injen sells
Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 PM
TSG-Z

Same exact thing happened to me, with same intake! My car was dead though.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM
3-fifty-WeEe
Banned

hahaha ouchy ma ma
Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Z_Trend_Setter

here's my car after i finally got it to turn on. that's all water coming out hahaha. crazy huh?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oX8Bx4qhkA0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oX8Bx4qhkA0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Dr. Venture

yeah you guys have to understand then when you try to start your car int he water and the exhaust is under as well. That will suck back the water after trying to start it with the back psi sucking back.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_Trend_Setter
here's my car after i finally got it to turn on. that's all water coming out hahaha. crazy huh?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oX8Bx4qhkA0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oX8Bx4qhkA0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I think I would keep the high revs to an absolute minimum for a while?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
this is precisely why we stock these!!!

People are retarded, look at that. never would have guessed this picture was taken in california

more like 'people's republic of california'

yes i know it sounds like im hating on CA, but im not!

That seems like a worthwhile investment for anyone purchasing a CAI. If that 1 or 2 extra HP is worth it to you in getting a CAI and the risk of hyrdolocking is not, then id suggest getting one of these and supporting your my350z vendors (Gruppe-S). I have a friend here in Charlotte who's motor was most likely saved by one of these!

Quick Reply: near death/hydrolock experience!!!! (cai)