Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

new to the 350Z, wheres VTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 08:15 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok ok go easy on the kid. SO hes fortunate...although I admit he sounds a little ungrateful. Im just more concerned with the fact that the story has big enough holes to drive a truck through.
First of which it is obvious that your dad makes the money so knowing how he feels about speed he would never fund FI for your RSX. And I dont think you splurging the money to make an RSX hit nearly 250 rear wheel. Even at cost you would be shelling out some serious cash.
Second even if that is true I doubt your dad made his money by being an idiot. If he was concerned about you speeding aka (safety) why would he by you a 2 door sports car. Because its an auto? He would more likely to put you in an Armada or H2 Hummer.
Just my two cents.
By the way...wlecome
You will find we are not quite as ignorant as some of the people you might be used to on the Acura/Honda sites. We actually follow logic and do not believe everything we hear without actually thinking about it.
Im not necessarily knocking you but do suggest that if you are here to "bend" the truth....that u do it elsewhere.
Thanks
Old 10-30-2003, 09:15 PM
soupnazi1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valid points, EnthuZiast.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:20 PM
dchengmd

Nice use of logic there, EnthuZiast! Great post!
Old 10-30-2003, 11:01 PM
longbowe

Default oh and by the way

I think everybody else has said all they can about your story, but if what you were asking is "How come the Z doesn't have that big surge in power at 6000rpm like the VTECs do?", then the answer is that Nissans (and Toyotas) use a continuously variable vale timing system. It's called CVTCS in Nissans, and something else in Toyotas. Hondas use the "Variable Vale Timing Engine Control (VTEC)" system, but their implementation isn't continuous. It kicks in with that extra camshaft (guys who actually know this better than me, please check my facts), which is why losing your timing belt is so much worse on a Honda than on a Toyota (Nissans use timing chains for the most part).

Which means, you pretty much get most of the power, most of the time (lots of power over a very broad power band).
Old 10-30-2003, 11:05 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Thank You guys
I just have alot of respect for the people here and dont like it when someone thinks that this is a site of mindless zombies and yes men.
We'll pull out the B.S. Flag one someones A$$ at my350Z!
Old 10-31-2003, 12:47 AM
Westby

Old 10-31-2003, 06:03 AM
Jetpilot718

So what if its an auto (if this story is even real), ever seen The Run? That Z is an auto, and it does some pretty harsh shitt...
Old 10-31-2003, 06:52 AM
jedoublery

Still, how did you get 247rwhp out of the RSX???
Old 10-31-2003, 07:03 AM
KONVERTER

Nismo exaust wont be noticed... sounds like stock but a bit louder... and you can always say Nissan put on a new exaust on the cars...

Nismo Headers, High Flow Cats... intake will be noticed under the hood but why would he open that...
Old 10-31-2003, 07:16 AM
WashUJon

I wouldn't flame this kid, but I sure would flame his dad!

His dad bought him a RWD sports car to slow him down! pffffffhahahahahaha

ooook.

You're lucky you have a father like that, I hope you know. I would have helped you to buy your own USED car with YOUR money...
Old 10-31-2003, 07:36 AM
350zluvr

Originally posted by Jetpilot718
So what if its an auto (if this story is even real), ever seen The Run? That Z is an auto, and it does some pretty harsh shitt...
I have that movie, and I am quite sure that the 350Z in there is a manual - 6 spd.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:45 AM
Z-Gem

Originally posted by cusdaddy
how in the hell did your RSX pull 247whp????
Port n Polish Head, IM and Trottle Body
(flows better than an S2000 HEAD!)
Spec C Toda Cams
Toda Valve Springs
JE Pistons 12:5:1
Custom Ti Rods
Skunk2 Ti Retainers
Comptech Race Header
Tanabe SRM
Balanced Crankshaft
Injen CAI
Grounding Kit
UR pullies
Twin Spark Plug Design to each Clyinder
K24 Block

John
Old 10-31-2003, 07:47 AM
Z-Gem

Default Re: Re: new to the 350Z, wheres VTEC?

Originally posted by SweatyPalm
You might learn once you actually lost your lung. Give me your dad's number I want to speak with him. Little Gemmy's been naughty.......
lol yeh right. im grateful for the car. i miss VTEC alot tho. the 350, just does pulled well enough, or at least as i thought it would.

john
Old 10-31-2003, 07:56 AM
Z-Gem

im grateful for the car. its new, its nice, but it doesnt seem like its "mine". do you all remember your first car? for some you loved it, for others you hated it. well i loved my Type S. everything about it was me. thats something this Z will have a hard time acheiving.

I cant say i deserve this car. my grades are good with a 3.89 GPA and a 1480 SAT scores, but i know i have put my dad threw hell like most kids. the choice to get this car was not at all my decision, and prior to getting it, that nite i had told him how much i love him for buying me the Type S.

honestly and truthfully, both my parents spoil me. they say, its their way of saying sorry. since bothing parents own their own firms and started them when i was born, neither had time for me as a kid. and now that im leaving they remind me each day of how much they love me.

so in talkin with my dad the real reason for the switch came out, safety. he wanted me to be safe in any car i was in, and the type s, just wasnt going to cut it. it was too fast (9.1 - 1/8), and weighed next to nothing. with the loss of many friends from accidents including a reccent close friend, i cant help but honor him for his decision. he told me, he didnt like it knowing how much i loved the car, but the love i had for my car was overshadowed for the love he and my mom have for me.

hopefully with this i can become friends with all of you. i may have started off badly, given myself an image of some spoiled kid, but im totally different in person. the words i type here simply cant express emotion or anything else.

anyways, ill have the car dynoed shortly to see what an auto pulls. then the CAI will be added and then ill be back to square one and saving for an audio system. Its pretty chill not hvaing to shift, but like you all who have changed before, i miss the control i had. hopefully you all see it from my prespective.

John
Old 10-31-2003, 08:00 AM
Z-Gem

Default Re: oh and by the way

Originally posted by longbowe
I think everybody else has said all they can about your story, but if what you were asking is "How come the Z doesn't have that big surge in power at 6000rpm like the VTECs do?", then the answer is that Nissans (and Toyotas) use a continuously variable vale timing system. It's called CVTCS in Nissans, and something else in Toyotas. Hondas use the "Variable Vale Timing Engine Control (VTEC)" system, but their implementation isn't continuous. It kicks in with that extra camshaft (guys who actually know this better than me, please check my facts), which is why losing your timing belt is so much worse on a Honda than on a Toyota (Nissans use timing chains for the most part).

Which means, you pretty much get most of the power, most of the time (lots of power over a very broad power band).
with all VTEC motor, both cams are working till VTEC. the only difference is the higher lobe is pushed to the center while the two lower lobes are pushed aside. with the i-VTEC system incorperated in the new accords, si's and rsx's, the VTEC only affects the intake cams while the older VTEC affect both exhaust and intake cams. less rotation mass = more power.

john
Old 10-31-2003, 08:10 AM
roark

deleted....

Last edited by roark; 10-31-2003 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:10 AM
mdelia

Originally posted by Jetpilot718

You sure on that Jetpilot? I could have sworn one of the camera angles you can watch is from the shifter, and its definately a 6spd. I was also fairly sure that they were using the Track model, which is only available in the 6sp, correct?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:22 AM
Stailey

im having trouble believing that some of you dont believe an rsx-s can get 247, its more than possible, and even w/o any FI.... there is an rsx-s(FI) right now thats hittin around 440's to the wheel...
here is a vid, its 3.6mb
http://nsxsc.com/439rsxdyno.mpg
and here is the dyno results
Old 10-31-2003, 09:50 AM
Z-Gem

Originally posted by Stailey
im having trouble believing that some of you dont believe an rsx-s can get 247, its more than possible, and even w/o any FI.... there is an rsx-s(FI) right now thats hittin around 440's to the wheel...
here is a vid, its 3.6mb
http://nsxsc.com/439rsxdyno.mpg
and here is the dyno results
seeing that u noticed that, did u notice the dyno for a all motor RSX with Spec A cams? 215whp with a 2.0l stock RSX block and no port n polish job. i was using a K24 block (2.4liter) and Spec C cams to achieve those numbers, not to mention i have my head ported along with my Throttle body and Intake Manifold bored and tampered to match.

John
Old 10-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Z-Gem

Originally posted by KONVERTER
Nismo exaust wont be noticed... sounds like stock but a bit louder... and you can always say Nissan put on a new exaust on the cars...

Nismo Headers, High Flow Cats... intake will be noticed under the hood but why would he open that...
thats the thing. on my last car, he never just decided to look under my hood without me being presented, but he did ask on numerous occasions when i was present to open the hood. im thinking of waiting a month or two after he has seen and gets to know the car to add the CAI.

john

Quick Reply: new to the 350Z, wheres VTEC?