Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I remove my spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SHIVtheGREAT
I took out my spare when I dropped two 12''s into the trunk. I put a can of fix a flat in the car, though. When I took it out, it was pretty easy to notice the weight difference over the rear wheels. I've never noticed a weight difference when I fill up the car, though. I think this is because the density of the spare wheel is much greater than the density of gasoline, so the spare is easier to feel (like dropping a dumbbell in the trunk). I doubt that my acceleration was affected much by removing my spare (I had it out for a few months before I put my subs in), but it felt a little quicker and smoother off the line.

And to all the haters, I greatly enjoy ghetto thumping wherever I go. Makes driving much more entertaining.
LOL ghetto thumping
Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
SQBassHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Single 10 will fit behind the drivers seat, plenty of bass, no need for ghetto thumping.
i fart more bass than a single 10"...

Originally Posted by sdZ33
I always ghetto thump in my Z!

And to all the haters, I greatly enjoy ghetto thumping wherever I go. Makes driving much more entertaining.
correcto mento

to op,
take out your spare if your doing it for a purpose, i have to agree with alot of ppl with " if your worried about weight then take out your AUDIO"
dont get me wrong i have a "ghetto thumpin" system in my car (13w7 wich weights ALOT!!!) and i love it, but im not worried about weight .....

you cant have everything OP, you got to give a little, cant have both..... but at the end if ur happy with-out the spare, then take that **** out....lol..
Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, might as well remove your spare tire, Nissan has. I went to look at new cars today & both the Nismo 370Z and the 40th anniversary edition 370Z no longer have a spare tire, this is the new spot for the Blose sub woofer. I believe the sales agent told me the 40th anniversary edition has a portable air compressor in this location as well, though I didn't personally see the air compressor.

I don't believe the weight loss is going to be too significant, IMHO.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:05 PM
theleonard350z

I had a custom box mad for my Z. it held 2, mephis mojo's 10" and mono block 2500 amp. I also kept spare tire in there. the car did feel slower. I recently removed the box, and one sub and placed the other sub in the factory box behind drivers seat. still have amp. i also removed tire and the car feels just a tiny bit faster, but not a big diffrence. If i were you, dont even worry about it. get some lightweight wheels..
Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Armed Ferret

If you go to a track, you can remove the spare from the well while you're on the track.

Otherwise, no good will come of removal. Google "Murphy's Law" for more information.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by SQBassHead
dont get me wrong i have a "ghetto thumpin" system in my car (13w7 wich weights ALOT!!!) and i love it, but im not worried about weight .....
Agreed. I kill my FI when I drive. 1000watts + 12 inch FI = nice excursion...
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 PM
SQBassHead

Originally Posted by vo7848
Agreed. I kill my FI when I drive. 1000watts + 12 inch FI = nice excursion...
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 PM
PrimeX

I took out my spare when I dropped two 12''s into the trunk. I put a can of fix a flat in the car, though. When I took it out, it was pretty easy to notice the weight difference over the rear wheels. I've never noticed a weight difference when I fill up the car, though. I think this is because the density of the spare wheel is much greater than the density of gasoline, so the spare is easier to feel (like dropping a dumbbell in the trunk). I doubt that my acceleration was affected much by removing my spare (I had it out for a few months before I put my subs in), but it felt a little quicker and smoother off the line.
I rarely post, but I real life laughed out loud at this.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Subdermal

Originally Posted by sdZ33
I always ghetto thump in my Z!
lol +1...bishes love teh vibrationz
Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I took mine out for two years, then decided it wasn't worth it. IMO keep your spare.

Also, make sure your lug wrench is the correct one. I have aftermarket wheels and lugs . . . and I discovered (at the most unfortunate time) that my lug wrench would not fit.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be more concerned about being 130 lbs b4 removing a spare tire...LOL!! just kidding.

I have wilwoods with my Volks. I decided to remove the spare because i am not able to use it regardless. So why even keep it in the car?

B4 i had the BBK and Rims i took out my spare anyway to save a lil weight also due to the 2 10 jl custom box i had in the back as well. To each there own i say. So if you want to remove it then remove. If your scared of a flat and that one day that you'll need it then keep it. Its all choice of luck in the end anyway. So far since 04 i have not had a problem with mine out. Also could be i watch where i drive regardless. I do not think it will make a diff in or out that you would feel anyway.

also DO NOT USE FIX A FLAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE people who use that CRAP!!!!! always makes me do extra unneeded work.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 07-24-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Hsummer

My current car didn't come with a spare, it came with runflats. Since runflats don't grip well and ride like wagon wheels, it no longer has runflats either. It's nothing a AAA card won't handle.

Like everyone else has said, if you're going to the track, take it out, along with your stereo stuff. Otherwise, you'll see just as much of a weight reduction if you drive around with a half tank of gas as opposed to a full tank.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 AM
JTZ0327

Leave it alone. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 AM
AmnCruzie

Originally Posted by hpka365
Get AAA and take the spare out. Are you lowered?
I couldn't fit the spare on my car if I tried.
^+1... My brakes are way too big. So what I did is take the spare out and replace it with a tool bag incase anything goes wrong (weighs less than the spare, but still has a bit of weight to it). I've already used those tools (on my car and on approx 7 others) several times, where as I never used the spare a single time... I consider it a more than fair trade

Last edited by AmnCruzie; 07-27-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Clean Z

Originally Posted by AmnCruzie
^+1... My brakes are way too big. So what I did is take the spare out and replace it with a tool bag incase anything goes wrong (weighs less than the spare, but still has a bit of weight to it). I've already used those tools (on my car and on approx 7 others) several times, where as I never used the spare a single time... I consider it a more than fair trade
good idea. I have already removed my spare... now I just need to get a tool box
Old 05-17-2020, 12:42 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted what you guys may suggest.

I checked to see if my spare would fit my rear calipers (akebono) and no problem there. I had doubts about clearing the big fronts, but no go (calipers way too big for spare). So, my question is should I just leave the spare out (the little sucker is heavy at about 32 lbs) since it would only be good for a rear flat but no good for the fronts?

I've got a good roadside assistance policy with my insurance, but it would suck to get a rear flat to. Dropping the weight would be nice (keeping jack and sockets in case I could just remove any 4 tires for repair, etc. I know it's kind of dumb question, but keeping a 50% possible use spare?

I have 9.5" front wheels and for curiosity I put it in the spare compartment just to see and it is way too wide; sticks inches above that rear deck level. I had thought that maybe I'd get a used wheel+tire that would clear the front calipers (therefore the rears) to keep as a spare, but no way it would fit in spare compartment.

I'd imagine that most of you would say to keep the spare in the car for possible rear flat. I don't travel very far on any given day, so I don't go on long cruises for example.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:04 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

R, I would suggest scouting out a 370Z space saver spare specific to the Sport model (with the Akebono brakes). And don’t forget to get a set (5) of shanked lug nuts specific to Z34

Personally, I don’t go anywhere without a spare (except in my Benz which doesn’t have a spare...) 🙁

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-17-2020 at 05:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
BigBlue (05-17-2020), jhc (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 02:24 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Agreed, took me a minute to realize the anchor in my trunk no longer fit after getting my BBK. Meanwhile I bought a can of Slime/Fix a Flat then found a Z34 spare at a salvage yard here for $80.
The junk man wasn't happy after I paid cash then told him they're listed at $185 on Flea Bay.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 05:05 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
Agreed, took me a minute to realize the anchor in my trunk no longer fit after getting my BBK. Meanwhile I bought a can of Slime/Fix a Flat then found a Z34 spare at a salvage yard here for $80.
The junk man wasn't happy after I paid cash then told him they're listed at $185 on Flea Bay.
Yeah, keep looking if you go that route. I think that Fleabay has only one specific to Sport Z34.... 250 clams!!

Oh, and John..... shame on you. Please don't bring your Slime'd tire to my shop. Yuk, that stuff is NASTY!! Used to have people come into both the car shop and bike shops I've spent time in. Our bike shop only did tube replacements. Patches? Are you kidding me? With all that green shid in the tire? Uhhh, no.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:20 PM
calvin.w

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Only question here then is does the 370Z akebono spare fit into the 350Z's spare hidey hole?

Quick Reply: Should I remove my spare tire?