Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a 350 and I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:54 PM
MaelstrØm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CR-Z is a fuel-sipping people carrier, it has nothing to do with sports cars. It has a 0-60 mph time of 9.7s, and a whopping 122 hp I4 engine (with electric backup). Why don't we compare minivans and Subaru Outbacks while we're at it?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@ winchman, Who looks out the rear?
Old 10-02-2010, 03:57 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do when changing lanes and backing up.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Demxsr

So I went to see the car and it turns out it already has Brembo chamfer drilled and slotted rotors, so that's not an issue anymore. I haven't gotten the car yet because in the add he neglected to mention that his ride height on the front end is about 2 inches, I can barley fit my small finger between the wheel well and the tire, on the front and rear. The original owner also pulled the engine, put in a racing cams, pistons, valves, full exhaust (that rattles near the mid-pipe), re-flashed the ECU, and a cold air intake. The intake filter is so low I’d probably have to shorten it because of that amount of rain i get where i live. It also has some sort of "carbon clutch/trans"...? I think its carbon clutch plates, idk? Oh, and the clutch is super stiff, and would make a squeaking noise when i would pushed it in that i could hear when the engine was off. It was like doing a little leg press at the gym every time i shifter gears. All this work was done about 5 and a half years ago and I’m not sure how reliable all his stuff is, given its age and however he drove it. If anything goes wrong i can't just go into a dealer and have them work on it, because of the amount the engine has been modded. It is also limited the amount of after market shops i could take it to get worked on if anything went wrong with it. And the price to fix it would probably be outrageous. So i need to figure it out within the next few days. The car sounds absolutely amazing. The only thing is that slight rattle from under the gear shifter, when i looked under the car the exhaust midpipe was vibrating a bit so i think that's what the noise is hopefully. But my main concern is the ride height, I'm just hoping that I can adjust the coilovers to increase the ride height by a few inches, and with me taking off the CF lip it has on the front I think the bumper will be ok. If I can do this I’ll probably get it.

It’s at a used car dealer ship, and while the salesman was nice he was totally full of crap when it came to the car. He had papers of the parts and labor that was put into it but the numbers seemed way to high, it came out to be like 20K in parts and labor. But at least it really is the track edition and they think it’s the enthusiast.

I still need to figure out what I want to do, the car is so crazy i really want it but i think it might just cost too much to maintain. Also, the car was getting 8.8 MPG in the city, on my test drive, and every chance I could get I was opening it up a bit. But still, that’s freaking low!

Last edited by Demxsr; 10-02-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Demxsr
So I went to see the car and it turns out it already has Brembo chamfer drilled and slotted rotors, so that's not an issue anymore. I haven't gotten the car yet because in the add he neglected to mention that his ride height on the front end is about 2 inches, I can barley fit my small finger between the wheel well and the tire, on the front and rear. The original owner also pulled the engine, put in a racing cams, pistons, valves, full exhaust (that rattles near the mid-pipe), re-flashed the ECU, and a cold air intake. The intake filter is so low I’d probably have to shorten it because of that amount of rain i get where i live. It also has some sort of "carbon clutch/trans"...? I think its carbon clutch plates, idk? Oh, and the clutch is super stiff, and would make a squeaking noise when i would pushed it in that i could hear when the engine was off. It was like doing a little leg press at the gym every time i shifter gears. All this work was done about 5 and a half years ago and I’m not sure how reliable all his stuff is, given its age and however he drove it. If anything goes wrong i can't just go into a dealer and have them work on it, because of the amount the engine has been modded. It is also limited the amount of after market shops i could take it to get worked on if anything went wrong with it. And the price to fix it would probably be outrageous. So i need to figure it out within the next few days. The car sounds absolutely amazing. The only thing is that slight rattle from under the gear shifter, when i looked under the car the exhaust midpipe was vibrating a bit so i think that's what the noise is hopefully. But my main concern is the ride height, I'm just hoping that I can adjust the coilovers to increase the ride height by a few inches, and with me taking off the CF lip it has on the front I think the bumper will be ok. If I can do this I’ll probably get it.

It’s at a used car dealer ship, and while the salesman was nice he was totally full of crap when it came to the car. He had papers of the parts and labor that was put into it but the numbers seemed way to high, it came out to be like 20K in parts and labor. But at least it really is the track edition and they think it’s the enthusiast.

I still need to figure out what I want to do, the car is so crazy i really want it but i think it might just cost too much to maintain. Also, the car was getting 8.8 MPG in the city, on my test drive, and every chance I could get I was opening it up a bit. But still, that’s freaking low!
As you mentioned you take your chances buying a modified car. Work done well is reliable. Poor work is costly in the long run.

Our members often demand blue book plus for a modified Z. Fact is mods will get you zero $$$. Often the final price is less than blue book.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Wipe_Drive

8.8... exactly how hard were you driving it?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Demxsr

Not very hard. It was stop and go traffic in the city though, so it was a lot of sitting around. There was only about a few times where i opened it up to about 5.5K. The car is in a race set up though, or something near it.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM
WSchli1672

I agree with "Davidv" on making sure you find out on how the car was taking care of. Check out who did the modified work and if they are a good reputable company. I had mine done by "Rob" of ZCarGarage and anybody in NorCal area here will tell you he's top notch. Also regular maintenance done by Nissan on a regular basis also. I keep all maintenance records on it from day "1" when I bought it brand new from Nissan. The gas mileage is really low on the Z you mentioned. Mine's modified and I get 19+ in town, and have gotten anywhere from 25 - 27.2 on the highway. We drove from NorCal to Chula Vista on a trip which is an all day affair and I got 26 plus. Good service upkeep is what counts. Also in CA you have to pass the smog test only have CA State Legal Mods, i.e. s/c's are legal, but not turbo's. I have the vortech s/c which is state legal and went through smog test without a hitch. Of course I have other mods too, but it's all how the previous owner took car of the car. That is very important to know.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:01 PM
MaelstrØm

This is just me, but I'd be running away from that car. Highly modified cars are like custom homes - you have no idea what problems await you in the Frankensteinian hallows of the engine bay. Further, drivers who modify tend to be hard on their cars; another good reason to run away from it.

You can find many low-miles 350z from any year now that are relatively cheap. Don't mess around with it if you are at all risk adverse. You can find many used 350zs right now with full inspection reports and carfaxes, and dealers are desperate for a sale, so you can ride them down to the bottom.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Demxsr

I'm guessing that with how much mods are on the car that the MPG gauge doesn't work properly.

I'm not really sure how to find out all the info on the car, because I know the sales guys are lying about somethings. It may not be the case that they are doing that because something is wrong with the car, I just don't think they know how it was taken care of.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 PM
winchman

Like MaelstrØm said, run, run, run.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Dr. Venture

Personally, i would not buy a car that was pre modded by some other guy that i know nothing about.

Who knows what kind of things he has done, did, to the vehicle before you. I'd also like to know reasons of getting rid of modded cars. VALID reasons.

in any case. take the car b4 the purchase to a trustworthy mechanic to have it checked. let them run through it and see if its worth the purchase let alone the value that they are asking.

I have come across in my days people selling MINT looking rides, but when i get down tot he inspections of things i find all the BS that they are selling it for.

on a experience note, walk away from this car. because i am almost 100% positive that your going to be buying someone elses headache, or money pit.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 10-03-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Ronin82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Demxsr

Bringing it to a mechanic is a good idea.

Here is the link to the pics: its an 03 track w/ 34K miles
http://modules.dealercarsearch.com/u...aspx?id=682977

The engine basically looks stock, but supposedly the engine was pulled and completely rebuilt. I'm not sure how true that it, but there was definitely some none stock stuff in the block. I've also never heard a street car that sounded like it.

With racing pistons, ring, cams, valves, etc, even if well maintained and not abused do you have to replace all that stuff after so many years/milage?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Demxsr

Is there anything that can be macgyvered up to prevent water from getting to the cool air intake from heavy rain?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 AM
LollerShakes

Is there anything that can be macgyvered up to prevent water from getting to the cool air intake from heavy rain?
Dude do not buy that P.O.S. I would NEVER and i mean NEVER buy a modded car unless I knew the previous owner, OR i knew the shop it was modded at. Even then i probably still would not. I think you should run bro dont buy.
Btw those Sony Xplod Subs if that is anything like the mods, its all ebay crap. hell the wal-mart electronics department here sells those subs if that doesnt scare ya way, i dunno what does .
JL Audio W3's the way to go :/
Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Dr. Venture

If anyone here knows whose car it was perhaps you can get in contact with them. Maybe find out if it is worth the money, and why they had gotten rid of it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
gidiup

Are you kidn me... The car is $21,900 for an 03 Z???? Are you sure its a track? Did you run the vin? Did you see the carfax?

As some of the other guys said.. Run. I would run on the price alone. IMO.. Its mod'd.

Mod'd cars don't get extra money. Typically, they are worth less. If the guy is b.s.'n you now what else do you think is b.s.

I'm sure you think this is a great car..blah, blah, blah, but wait until it breaks down and you get the repair bills. If its mod'd they can be large.

Last edited by gidiup; 10-04-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bringing it to a mechanic is a good idea.

Here is the link to the pics: its an 03 track w/ 34K miles
http://modules.dealercarsearch.com/u...aspx?id=682977

The engine basically looks stock, but supposedly the engine was pulled and completely rebuilt. I'm not sure how true that it, but there was definitely some none stock stuff in the block. I've also never heard a street car that sounded like it.

With racing pistons, ring, cams, valves, etc, even if well maintained and not abused do you have to replace all that stuff after so many years/milage?
Very clean however ...this looks like all show-no go.

NOTE: OK if you want this Z offer $17,500 not a penny more.

Last edited by davidv; 10-04-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

03 track with very low miles, i wouldn't pay a penny over $13.5k if i really really really had to have the car for some odd reason

Look at this link https://my350z.com/forum/socal-marke...-red-350z.html

Last edited by terrasmak; 10-04-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: About to buy a 350 and I have a few questions.