Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
View Poll Results: Should I sell for a fuel efficent (35+) car?
Don't sell, live life, have fun with your sports car.
88.00%
Sell, save cash for the future, then buy a faster sports car.
12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Should I Sell my Z for a four cylinder??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
doshoru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reminds me of the gas crisis in 2008. You had people selling their trucks and taking losses or new loans in the $10-20 THOUSAND range to save $500 a year in gas. Lolz...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
DK 350z DK

Keep the Z and cut back on going out to eat or something that you could live without. Easy as that.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Raybrant

Originally Posted by DK 350z DK
Keep the Z and cut back on going out to eat or something that you could live without. Easy as that.
Keep Z, cut-back on eating => weight loss => less weight on Z when driving => better fuel economy.

WIN-WIN SCENARIO!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:01 PM
drivessidewayz

Yes sell the Z. But instead of a Civic, come buy a Sentra from me Tons of people are swapping their cars for more fuel-efficient vehicles and I'd love to have a Z on the lot

Srsly though, keep the Z.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM
NyCSnEaK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the Z, once they milk us till the end of summer the gas price's will become more pocket friendly, so individuals can get ready for the holiday season. "They" do it because they can and we are at their mercy.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
gregom

Just drive a bit more economically... For instance a lot of people don't know that when you are decelerating by letting off the throttle, the engine uses no fuel at all as long as your in gear and the revs aren't high. So keeping a safe following distance from cars in front, don't be tapping the brakes all the time because the car in front is slowing down... and when coming to a stop light you can use a little downshifting to slow. Don't coast in neutral or with the clutch disengaged. All of these techniques can improve your MPG by a few if your really conscious of your driving.

If your really **** you can turn off your engine at stop lights, but don't bother if you may only be sitting for 20 seconds or less. Starting the engine up uses the equivalent of about 20 seconds of idling on most petrol engines.

Last edited by gregom; 04-06-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:41 AM
NZMOWND

Originally Posted by gregom
Just drive a bit more economically... For instance a lot of people don't know that when you are decelerating by letting off the throttle, the engine uses no fuel at all as long as your in gear and the revs aren't high. So keeping a safe following distance from cars in front, don't be tapping the brakes all the time because the car in front is slowing down... and when coming to a stop light you can use a little downshifting to slow. Don't coast in neutral or with the clutch disengaged. All of these techniques can improve your MPG by a few if your really conscious of your driving.

Everything was going good till you said..

If your really **** you can turn off your engine at stop lights, but don't bother if you may only be sitting for 20 seconds or less. Starting the engine up uses the equivalent of about 20 seconds of idling on most petrol engines.
wow really??
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Swimminggerman

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Answers to your questions -

1) Should I keep X or buy Y?
Do a cost comparison for yourself and think about:
- Values of the different vehicles & their estimated depreciation for the period you are considering
- Fuel efficiency values for each vehicle compared to your average distance driven for the period you are considering
- Debt/Interest cost of all loan costs (including any closing costs)
- Loss/Gain that you would take on the sale of your current vehicle compared to its value
- Driving/Owner Experience and Satisfaction (How much is it worth to have X car that you really want instead of Y car that you're just ok with?)

2) What mpg do u gett:
- 28mpg on the highway for long stretches of good roads
- 22-23mpg driving a mix of city and highway
- 19mpg if I'm driving a mix of city and highway in a spirited mood
- 12mpg if I'm all over the throttle doing mountain/canyon runs

3) Any recommendations:

What is it that you really want to accomplish?

Examples:
1) I want to not have a car payment.
2) I want to pay the least each week for gas.
3) I want to pay the least combined each month for gas and car payment.
4) I want to have a car that is fast and fun to drive.
5) I want a car that is safe and practical.
6) I want a car that says "hey, i'm frugal with my money" to people.
7) I want a car that says "hey, i'm successful" to people.
8) I want a car that makes the panties drop.

The question is not about gas, because $4k spent on a different car will buy a lot of gas for your paid off car.
Well put. Look at it anaylitically. Personally I would not want to spend an extra 5k of money to purchase another car. $40 a week from 5000 is 125 weeks or 30 months. Thats over 2 years you can drive your z before you reach the additional 5k that you'd spend on the civic. If you bought the civic, youd pay the 5k plus whatever regular fuel cost is for those 2+ years. Lets say you pay 20 a week for fuel in the civic. That will be 2500 bucks in gas used by your civic at the 2+year point, on top of the additional 5k cost of the car. so do your real question is "Should I spend 7500bucks, loose my Z and get a civic?" Answer NO. get real man. 22mpg is not bad. I got 27 in my HR. Playing with it all the time, but again it wasnt a DD. I had a 9in lifted 4 runner on 35's getting 14mpg as my dd. pay to play. Finish school. dont go out as much (ie lack of social life) and have fun when your done with school.

btw, sorry i miss read the 4k and used 5k, but you get the picture.

also, i doubt in 5 years you'll keep the civic, if you mod the z and love it you may keep it. but then again maybe not. so save the dough, pay for school and only post when you add something cool to your car.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
vics350z

What you have to ask yourself is will you be ok with driving a weak car and having everyone else pass you by or do you want to do the passing?????
Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

watch and see! the day you buy your 4 cyl civic or whatever all the gas prices will start to plummet
Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
DozJr7

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Answers to your questions -

1) Should I keep X or buy Y?
Do a cost comparison for yourself and think about:
- Values of the different vehicles & their estimated depreciation for the period you are considering
- Fuel efficiency values for each vehicle compared to your average distance driven for the period you are considering
- Debt/Interest cost of all loan costs (including any closing costs)
- Loss/Gain that you would take on the sale of your current vehicle compared to its value
- Driving/Owner Experience and Satisfaction (How much is it worth to have X car that you really want instead of Y car that you're just ok with?)

2) What mpg do u gett:
- 28mpg on the highway for long stretches of good roads
- 22-23mpg driving a mix of city and highway
- 19mpg if I'm driving a mix of city and highway in a spirited mood
- 12mpg if I'm all over the throttle doing mountain/canyon runs

3) Any recommendations:

What is it that you really want to accomplish?

Examples:
1) I want to not have a car payment.
2) I want to pay the least each week for gas.
3) I want to pay the least combined each month for gas and car payment.
4) I want to have a car that is fast and fun to drive.
5) I want a car that is safe and practical.
6) I want a car that says "hey, i'm frugal with my money" to people.
7) I want a car that says "hey, i'm successful" to people.
8) I want a car that makes the panties drop.

The question is not about gas, because $4k spent on a different car will buy a lot of gas for your paid off car.

I agree with most of what you said, except the bold. A Z is not a car that says, "I'm successful."
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Z04

it's your car, do what you want with it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 PM
alphaomega

Buy your self a used honda civic and use it for daily driving and the Z will be for the weekends. But I SAY "DON'T GET RID OF YOUR "Z" (especially if is already paid for!!!) CAUSE YOU WILL BE SORRY WHEN YOU SEE SOMEBODY DRIVING PAST YOU UNABLE TO CATCH UP TO THEM ON YOUR "CIVIC".
Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM
jak

I would keep the Z!!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:27 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

if you have to ask, sell it.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by NZMOWND
wow really??
So are you going to explain your disagreement or just respond like a 16 year old girl?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lulz

Originally Posted by DozJr7
I agree with most of what you said, except the bold. A Z is not a car that says, "I'm successful."
I wasn't saying that the Z was successful. I was saying that the Civic was successful. HA!

I was just pointing out that people choose cars based on different reasons. For someone growing up on a farm, they would probably think that someone driving a newer Civic is successful. For someone growing up in the ghetto, they would probably think that someone driving a Z is successful. For someone growing up with a silver spoon in their mouth, they're going to look down on anything you have.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:07 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Sell the Z and get a 90's Honda or Toyota, or whatever is cheap and reliable. Then you save money on insurance, gas, and have money left to spend.

Graduate college, find a decent job, then get something you really want and can mod the hell out of.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mr Environment

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Sell the Z and get a 90's Honda or Toyota, or whatever is cheap and reliable. Then you save money on insurance, gas, and have money left to spend.

Graduate college, find a decent job, then get something you really want and can mod the hell out of.
Get yo pockets swoll -

Sell the Z for $10k, buy a bike for $100. Then you'll save money on insurance gas, taxes, etc.

Put the $10k in the bank drawing interest.

Buddy up with a fraternity or another student and just party with them and crash at their place. Then you'll save money on room and board.

Find a person from each of your classes and follow them to their dorm, then borrow their book when they aren't looking. Borrow some pens and paper too while you're at it. Then you'll save money on textbooks too.

Ride your bike to the local Soup Kitchen for meals. Then you'll save money on not needing a gym membership (bike ride), and you'll save money on food.

Turn tricks at night and add the money to your bank account. Make sure to keep a little for the weekly health department visits too.

Finish College, take your money and put down as 25% on a starter home. Then you'll save on no PMI.

Don't get married, don't have kids. Then you'll save millions.

Die alone and sad, because you don't have a Z.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Zing!

Civic? Why not an s2k?

Quick Reply: Should I Sell my Z for a four cylinder??