Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

...a shift **** will repair everything.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:58 AM
MaelstrØm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Why don't you take it back to whoever installed it and get it fixed?

My transmission has over 80k and is flawless.

I have numerous posts complaining about the oil consumption issue, I have no problem complaining when I have issues.
Why would you assume I have not? I have had both the transmission and engine replaced under warranty. The car is going back in shortly for more issue investigation, but I'm not paying for things they can't fix. That is the catch-22 - if they decide it isn't warranty, they are going to bill your ***.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:10 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by MaelstrØm
Let me just restate - my CD009 has just a few thousand miles on it. It is basically new. And I can get roughness and clunking with the clutch fully depressed and the shifter carefully moved into gears, and it has ALWAYS been like this, from day one. I am VERY tired of people accusing the driver. Based on the descriptions, it sounds like the transmissions vary greatly in how they are configured or how they operate. If you drove my car, you would notice it too. It isn't a driver factor in many cases.

I'm going to go and drive another 350z this weekend just to see if it does the same thing.
Your post does not say anything about trying to get it resolved. Therefore I asked if you were going to return it to the repair facility.

If it has such a small amount of miles and was done by Nissan how could it not be under warranty?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 AM
MaelstrØm

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Your post does not say anything about trying to get it resolved. Therefore I asked if you were going to return it to the repair facility.

If it has such a small amount of miles and was done by Nissan how could it not be under warranty?
Yeah, it is under warranty. I'll let you know what happens, it's going in next week.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I've got no issues with the 6MT in my '08. 45K miles, Redline MT90, Nismo adjustable short shifter. I've owned nothing but MT cars since I started driving in '74, and the Z is pretty close to the top, at least IMO, as far as smooth, quick shifting, although I can't even force myself to shift without rev-matching. Worst I ever had was my '88 M3, which had a MT that sounded like rattling a coffee can full of bolts, followed by a '88 Lotus Esprit Turbo, which had a horrible linkage system. Best was a '68 Alfa GTA (race car) with a MT full of cross-drilled lightened gears and bronze syncros. I guess some of the Z issues must come from the driver, not to insult anyone (or imply that I'm Mario Andretti), but you can't just slam any MT from gear to gear without a certain level of skill and precision. I've been a passenger with a lot of guys who just don't get that, and they burn through MT'S and clutches as if they were meant to be replaced regularly.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MaelstrØm
Yeah, it is under warranty. I'll let you know what happens, it's going in next week.
Cool good luck!

Originally Posted by dcains
I've got no issues with the 6MT in my '08. 45K miles, Redline MT90, Nismo adjustable short shifter. I've owned nothing but MT cars since I started driving in '74, and the Z is pretty close to the top, at least IMO, as far as smooth, quick shifting, although I can't even force myself to shift without rev-matching. Worst I ever had was my '88 M3, which had a MT that sounded like rattling a coffee can full of bolts, followed by a '88 Lotus Esprit Turbo, which had a horrible linkage system. Best was a '68 Alfa GTA (race car) with a MT full of cross-drilled lightened gears and bronze syncros. I guess some of the Z issues must come from the driver, not to insult anyone (or imply that I'm Mario Andretti), but you can't just slam any MT from gear to gear without a certain level of skill and precision. I've been a passenger with a lot of guys who just don't get that, and they burn through MT'S and clutches as if they were meant to be replaced regularly.
My first MT was a '72 BMW 2002 It had 180k, had been thrashed by it's PO and worked fine until it was totaled by a drunk driver on the 405 in Carson, Ca.

Next I got a 72 2002 Tii, that was my favorite car I have ever owned and I miss it daily (also totaled by an as*hole that ran a red light on Fairfax in L.A.

The clutch in my Z was diagnosed as "on it's last leg" 20k miles ago and is working fine. I am sure I will be able to milk it until my stroker and Act can go in.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 07-30-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:41 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Getting off-topic, I know, but the pre-'84 BMW's did have great MT's, until BMW switched from bronze synchros and brass gear selector forks to molybdenum synchros and aluminum shift forks. I did eventually "fix" the M3's MT by sending it to a place called Metric Mechanic in Kansas City. They "upgraded" it with the older type bearings/synchros/shift forks, and it came back smooth as butter. I currently own 3 Alfa Romeo Spider's, which have long been known to have a balky second-gear synchro, and are also very sensitive to oil type used. I had a machinist friend undercut and cross-drill the gears, which reduced the rotating mass substantially, and they know shift like that old GTA I used to have. None of them has over 150hp, and the gearboxes were overbuilt for racing, so lightening the gears isn't a big risk, but I wonder if anyone's tried something similar to lighten the Z gears?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:33 PM
thatguy0009

Do you guys find it almost impossible to go from 2nd to 1st gear when you're going at about 15 mph? It seems like the car will only allow me to get into 1st at VERY low speed like 5 mph..... I have an HR.

My friend has the 2010 VW Golf GTI and his 2nd to 1st shift was smooth when going at ~10 mph...
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM
hellman_x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 04 and went to an 06 and the shifting feel felt like it was a different car. Luckily no oil consumption. It's easy to say it's the owners fault or bad driving but CD009 means there has been 8 freaking revisions of the trans.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 AM
doshoru

Originally Posted by thatguy0009
Do you guys find it almost impossible to go from 2nd to 1st gear when you're going at about 15 mph? It seems like the car will only allow me to get into 1st at VERY low speed like 5 mph..... I have an HR.

My friend has the 2010 VW Golf GTI and his 2nd to 1st shift was smooth when going at ~10 mph...
That's pretty normal. Even if the car does allow you to do it, you're putting a lot of stress on that 1st gear synchro. The rpm differential between 2nd and 1st is obviously the largest of any gear change. *IF* I absolutely need to downshift into 1st, I rev match.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a good example of no skills. and i am sorry to say this. but knowledge should allow you to understand that if the vehicle is already moving then 2nd gear is all you should be in when dropping to those kinds of speeds. Less you are just moving along ALREADY in 1st there should be no reason to be in 1st. Besides of course coming from a full stop.

BUT....if you really wanna drop down to 1st then i would suggest learning to REV match, although i do not recommend that going that slow. But hey...it could happen!

as far as the VW goes no one gets the fact that if you notice a VW when shifting the RPMs stick high for a few seconds longer. Allowing that smooth "rev" matched sensation. Kinda why i hate going slow in VW's..dislike the rpm sticking. Jap vehicles have that quick drop of rpm. which in return will jerk us around when doing so.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 08-01-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic
Premier Member

The only reason I can think of to go into first while moving is if I have NO brakes and am about to hit something.

I think this kind of thing is what is "wrong" with the transmissions.

(Jon Stewart "mob" guy voice) "No disrespect"
Old 08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
slc-350z

To me, the 350z transmission seems fine. I recently bought a new WRX and I can tell you, that car sets the bar pretty high for the worst shifter/transmission feel. It's so notchy and fast shifts from 5th to 4th or 3rd to second is painful. When I get back into the Z, everything feels smooth as glass... well, all except the craptastic clutch and all it's chatter. Grrr.

My 97' Prelude has the best clutch/transmission/shifter combo out of any car I've ever owned.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Corbic

I thought WRXs supposedly have the worst trans.. .
Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 AM
engleman

To the guy shifting from 1st-4th, its going to feel like ****. Your synchronizer hates you. I have a 2003 Touring 6MT, 80,000 miles on the original clutch - shifting is very notchy. So notchy sometimes I miss 2nd gear on 3500rpm regular shifts, or 3rd on speed shifts. I have grown used to it, however, and I noticed that I get that classic 'syncrho-scream' when shifting to 3rd, such as some of the Z32's exhibit whilst speed shifting. I plan on changing my fluid this weekend in the transmission and the differential, as well as adding a new shift-****, so I'll report back with my findings.

At any rate, I have a 600hp Eclipse GSX that makes the Z transmission look like Excaliber, lol. But coming from multiple 04 Mustangs, including a hopped up Roush, this transmission is ultimately better in every way.

Last edited by engleman; 08-11-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Bullitt5339

Originally Posted by engleman
To the guy shifting from 1st-4th, its going to feel like ****. Your synchronizer hates you. I have a 2003 Touring 6MT, 80,000 miles on the original clutch - shifting is very notchy. So notchy sometimes I miss 2nd gear on 3500rpm regular shifts, or 3rd on speed shifts. I have grown used to it, however, and I noticed that I get that classic 'syncrho-scream' when shifting to 3rd, such as some of the Z32's exhibit whilst speed shifting. I plan on changing my fluid this weekend in the transmission and the differential, as well as adding a new shift-****, so I'll report back with my findings.

At any rate, I have a 600hp Eclipse GSX that makes the Z transmission look like Excaliber, lol. But coming from multiple 04 Mustangs, including a hopped up Roush, this transmission is ultimately better in every way.

Except for the shifter, unfortunately. I absolutely love my MGW shifter in my Bullitt, and wish I could get that feel in the Z. Solid gates with no slop anywhere. Now, anyone complaining about shifting a Z should go drive a Tremec equipped 01-04 Mustang and try shifting it at 6500rpm's, that'll make you appreciate what you've got.

Simple fact is that as a manual transmission gets "beefed up" to handle extra torque, a byproduct seems to be notchy or hard shifting, it's just a fact of life. Ever driven a T56 equipped Viper?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Kimosabe

Driving manual 101:

You should never have to downshift to first gear unless you come to a complete stop. 1rst gear is designed to get the car moving, after that, second can do the rest.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by Kimosabe
Driving manual 101:

You should never have to downshift to first gear unless you come to a complete stop. 1rst gear is designed to get the car moving, after that, second can do the rest.
I have a few friends who like to do that, forcing it into first while rolling. It irritates me.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 AM
PeterSellers

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339
Simple fact is that as a manual transmission gets "beefed up" to handle extra torque, a byproduct seems to be notchy or hard shifting, it's just a fact of life. Ever driven a T56 equipped Viper?
I'm starting to believe that as well. A beefier trans is going to have more massive gears, and I suppose that makes sense then that since changing gears involves moving them somewhat that is just going to take more effort than it would compared to a Honda.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hate when people compare RWD tranny to a FWD tranny. the feel of a FWD will always "feel" better because of the shift linkages. If will feel smooth with no vibrations.
we are shifting straight from the tranny.

Quick Reply: Why do we have the worst tranny?