Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Serious Color Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003 | 11:20 AM
Nothing

Default Serious Color Question...

For all of you with a really refined eye for detail, I've been studying the different color of the Z's for a while now, and while I love black, I think I've noticed that black, unlike all the other colors, does not allow for the same shadows on the body of the car that usually highlight the beauty of the exterior design. Has anyone else noticed this? I think the difference is most notable when comparing the black to the chrome silver or liquid aluminum. This scares me...

Any thoughts?

N.
Old 12-12-2003 | 04:29 PM
TCL

My initial thought was that the Z's rather high belt line would be less prominant if the car was a metallic color. This was the logic I used when I placed my pre-order before any real Z's were available for viewing.

Now that I've seen all the colors in person, I think the metallic colors do more to enhance certain desirable features of the car (like the fender bulges). If I had to do it over again, I'd be torn between my current choice and Brickyard. Wouldn't know how to break the tie. Actually, what I have now is a slightly darker, higher metallic variant of Daytona Blue (that's another story).

Last edited by TCL; 12-12-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2003 | 05:51 PM
zlove

come on tell the story!!!
Old 12-13-2003 | 01:59 AM
TCL

Originally posted by zlove
come on tell the story!!!
Had the car repainted. Reasons and photos are here:

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/show...&threadid=1890

Here's another picture. This photo illustrates my point about how a metallic color enhances the fender bulges. Some angles bring out the base color and other angles bring out the metal flake.
Attached Thumbnails Serious Color Question...-nov207512.jpg  
Old 12-13-2003 | 06:20 AM
zlove

thx for the story

Oh and by the way -Nothing-, get a Daytona Blue!
Old 12-18-2003 | 08:41 AM
Nothing

lol... sorry, no DB for me

I think it's a hard tie between CS and SB... I like the new liquid aluminum option, but it's not available on track models

The only thing is that I've seen a few CS in Chicago, but never seen a super black...

N.
Old 12-18-2003 | 08:53 AM
drgenefish

the first Z I ever saw was a black one...they look awesome especially when shiny. Maybe in pictures you don't see shadows but in person you can see every line. With this said I still ordered a red because I know I won't be cleaning my car every other day. Still 6 weeks to wait
Old 12-18-2003 | 09:05 AM
Montez

The Pikes is a very nice color and brings out the total car as well, I love it on my Z we get comments on it and the Max all the time regarding the color.
Old 12-18-2003 | 09:20 AM
SunsetZ

Still waiting for a yellow like the S2000 has.
Old 12-18-2003 | 09:46 AM
seanrulz

Default Re: Serious Color Question...

Originally posted by Nothing
For all of you with a really refined eye for detail, I've been studying the different color of the Z's for a while now, and while I love black, I think I've noticed that black, unlike all the other colors, does not allow for the same shadows on the body of the car that usually highlight the beauty of the exterior design. Has anyone else noticed this? I think the difference is most notable when comparing the black to the chrome silver or liquid aluminum. This scares me...

Any thoughts?

N.
I have black, and I couldn't agree you more. You nailed it. Blacks are awesome, mean and aggressive but in terms of exterior modification, some lines and details are harder to catch than other lighter colors. But I still love my SB! If you get the darker colors, you have to keep it simple, subtle, clean.
Hands down on PPW. IMO it is the best color if you want to go wild. Also Carbon Fiber looks best with white colors... In black, you can't even see the difference unless you get to the car closer and stare at it for a while. And all kinds of colors of rims look simply great on whites! Completely opposite on black... not many chioces for black IMO.
Old 12-18-2003 | 11:42 AM
Nothing

Thanks for confirming my fears

oi... what to do, what to do...

N.
Old 12-18-2003 | 01:00 PM
AndyB

Default Re: Serious Color Question...

I think the black looks good not for the shadows, but for the reflections. If you keep it clean the streaks of light reflected in it show the shape of the car nicely. It adds a sense of mystery.

I chickened out of getting black mostly because it is the hardest to keep clean and swirl free. My last black car was a hassle.

I like the silver colors because they show the shape well (the wheel bulges, etc). They are also a little easier to keep clean. The shape of the Z looks a little German to me (large heavy shapes with round bulging contours) and I am sort of used to seeing those cars in metalic silver. (classic Mercedes / Porsche color) The silver gives it a solid muscular look.

I kinda like the DB for it's shocking nature, but it wasn't for me.

The only Z color I think they missed the boat on was the red. I would have ordered red if it was a brilliant bright red (like Porsche Guar's Red or Z28 red). The red they picked seems a little maroon/dark/brick to me. It's not a bad color, but my personal preference is that red sports cars be FREAKIN BRIGHT RED. (My red camaro was so red it hurt to look at in bright sunlight)

If i was REALLY picking nits I would have made the white just a touch cooler. But that mostly is my old school hotrod sense of aesthetics talking. The PP white is a beautifull paint.

AndyB

Originally posted by Nothing

Any thoughts?

N.
Old 12-18-2003 | 02:03 PM
ViZion

super black is also the only color that doesn't come with a clear coat. this straight from the mouth of the nissan service manager.

therefore it chips more easily and takes a lot more work.
Old 12-18-2003 | 02:22 PM
iris

Metallic does show off the lines of the car better (esp'lly if it's a little dirty), if that's what you're looking for. Black is stealthier, more mysterious.

Go with CS.
Old 12-18-2003 | 04:43 PM
adamslad

I just got Super Black with charcoal black leather, and after less than 300 miles on the odometer, it's badly in need of a wash. It's by far the coolest look for the Z... for the 15 minutes that it's clean! No regrets, though! I love it!
Old 12-18-2003 | 08:41 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Adamslad - Get a California Car Duster man! You won't regret it. Especially with black!