Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tired of being Harased to Race(long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Enron Exec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that Jetta drivers stare at the Z alot more then any other drivers. Can anyone else back me on this?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Phatmitzu

Did you have a "TRY ME" bumper sticker on??

Old 12-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Jason Bourne

I don't get much attention in NY/NJ/CT at all. I've never (in 8 months and 13K miles) had anyone "rev on me" and the closest thing has been a few people staying close to me on the highway at around ~80mph to leverage my V1 detector.

Maybe I just drive more conservatively on the street or maybe its the fact that my bone-stock, always-dirty, silverstone Z just doesn't look flashy enough to attract attention.

JB
Old 12-22-2003, 06:15 PM
longbowe

I had these two guys in an E36 M3 try to get me to race once while I was looking for a hotel on El Camino. I was tempted, but I decided they just wanted to boast a kill, and my ego wouldn't let me. So I gave myself the excuse that I was looking for the place anyway. Worked for me.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:08 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by EL Diablo
The Z intimidates people as well as provokes a feeling of envy for
many people. Many times all sorts of cars will rev on me or fly by me
just cuz the Z makes you feel that way. Most of these
drivers know thier car cant beat me but they want to see the Z go!
It's like you expect your favorite Rock Stars to be wild and crazy,
well I guess most people just assume that when they see a Z they
expect a certain behavior. Sometimes they get it and most times they dont.

Damn took the words out of my mouth. Nicely put!

Everytime I get tempted to race I think of that scene from Back to the Future where Marty gets tempted by those guys in the truck to race. Last second he peels out backwards and realizes he would have been T-boned by a Rolls Royce at the intersection.

I think people challenging the Z is a very flattering thing. A person wouldn't look for a race if the opponent wasn't worthy.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:28 AM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have not been challenged once to my recollection while driving my z. people just stare, smile or ask questions about it... and the occassional, "NICE CAR!" shouted out at me. at the stoplight, the ricers usually start off real slow to let me pull ahead.

when i had my mustang cobra, everyone wanted to race for some reason. i drove the same way i do now, but for some reason i was always getting called out. i raced the first 2 cars and then after that point, thought, "this is dumb, it isnt worth it." i just ignored the revs after that. they would speed off from the light, spinning their tires. made them look really dumb.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:57 AM
BIGGY

Kinda sucked that my girlfriend was there at the time, but these two girls were walking ahead of us to their car. They stopped at mine which was right next to theirs and peeked in the windows. When the g/f and I were getting in they yelled out "we really liked your car". I don't think I've ever been complimented on my car before? But it reassured me that the Sunset color wasn't a bad choice.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:26 AM
ricka

here in Phoenix, when I first got my car ppl would drive by me and yell out the window how they liked my car, blah, blah and that was nice, but now ppl aren't too excited to see it. I guess it's because there are a lot more on the rode.... Every blue-moon someone will try and be a bad-a$$ and race me, but I USUALLY let it go
Old 12-23-2003, 08:32 AM
MA4

are you female? maybe they ar more interested in giving you some mardi gras beads...
Old 12-23-2003, 03:44 PM
mpfstew

Originally posted by ricka
here in Phoenix, when I first got my car ppl would drive by me and yell out the window how they liked my car, blah, blah and that was nice, but now ppl aren't too excited to see it. I guess it's because there are a lot more on the rode.... Every blue-moon someone will try and be a bad-a$$ and race me, but I USUALLY let it go
Down here in Tucson there are still alot of young kids that start driving too aggresively when they are close to me. Of course my car is usually the brightest car on the road when it's all clean and polished up.

This morning I had some ricer in a Celica doing everything to stay ahead of me on my way to work. Funny thing was I wasn't speeding at all and he was swerving in and out of traffic and doing 90 in a 50 to beat me to the next light.

I still get alot of attention down here, mostly from people who haven 't been out of the trailer park in 8 months.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:04 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I probably make a lot of people mad because i absolutely baby my Z with the exception of Sunday's i take my car out of the city onto the twisties and "blow the carbon out." Other than that, in town i baby it. I have all sorts of people in all imaginable vehicles trying to race at stoplights and whatnot and i just ease off and cruise. Actually i go slower than the speed limit most of the time and just pimp.....it draws more attantion like that. Just do everything slow like you're in a car show ;-)
Old 12-23-2003, 06:15 PM
NY 350Z

im on hempstead turnpike everynight (i live off of it) and same sh*t,BUT day be4 yesterday i got lucky.A blue G35 flew by me FAST so i wanted to go after him but i said,its not worth it,x-mas time,i dont wanna kill any1. but then a black integra pulls up along my side and downshifts and is cruisin next to me,so i floored it to about 60ish needles to say i pulled hard. then i slowed down and he kept goin. after all i see is a cop chasin him. haha

sorry that took up your time,but i thought it was funny.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:27 PM
SublimaZe

Where I live there's still only a few (but growing every day), most people are just curious, it's all part of driving a fast car.

some are idiots some are just playing around, just remember it's your foot on the pedal, not theirs..
Old 12-24-2003, 11:48 PM
time4aspliff

I've been challenged by all types of cars-everything from a Mini Cooper S to a senior citizen in an M5. I completely ignore everybody. I usually just turn up The Clash or The Jam and drive real mellow. I reserve that type of conduct for the track.

I've never been a Honda guy but you've also gotta remember that there are some legitimate sleepers out there. My buddy from work has a stock looking 91' Civic hatchback with a turbo motor that can smoke a stock Z. I've also got a 1988 4wd turbo Celica (that looks like a regular 1988 Celica GTS) with a built 3SGTE motor that is capable of high 12's with street tires and full interior.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Norel350Z

Originally posted by NY 350Z
im on hempstead turnpike everynight (i live off of it) and same sh*t,BUT day be4 yesterday i got lucky.A blue G35 flew by me FAST so i wanted to go after him but i said,its not worth it,x-mas time,i dont wanna kill any1. but then a black integra pulls up along my side and downshifts and is cruisin next to me,so i floored it to about 60ish needles to say i pulled hard. then i slowed down and he kept goin. after all i see is a cop chasin him. haha

sorry that took up your time,but i thought it was funny.
My buddy, who also live in east meadow, has a Blue G35c, he show boats it a little, but hes not much of the racing type, if its an auto, with 4 breaklights (he has both the fin and center light on) then its him.. we def need to all meet up sometime, there are alot of Zs in this general area, however i think alot of them are owned by soccer moms, and grandpas, and don't really understand what owning a Z is all about

Last edited by Norel350Z; 12-25-2003 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:00 PM
NY 350Z

maybe it was him. we def gotta meet up. we cruised with 2 z's a couple weeks ago. but yah,maybe tomorrow night or sat night.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:15 PM
snoopy20

I still have yet to decide on a Z but when some Z guys pull up next to me, be it on the highway or light, they rev on me, pull away and slow down, gun it or whatever. I guess if I decide on the Z I'll get to be that dick to someone that doesn't own one. LOL...whoever tries to rev on me should be glad I don't have a gun..... I get annoyed easily, especially when I'm trying to relax.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:07 AM
JPizzle

what annoys me the most is when slow cars intentionally go out of the way to pass your car because I guess that makes them feel special? If I have nothing better to do I'll sometimes gun it really quickly and cut them off just to be an *******...it's fun when you're bored =)
Old 12-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The numerous 10" wide burn-out & drift marks decorating my streets to get to the highway announce my territory LOL. I dont go out looking for a race at all, but I never pass one up just cause it's fun, I usually end up talking to the people I race and just kicken back and having fun. But most of the time I drive the Z they way I love to which is fast, controlled, and a lot of wheel spin and chirps. Can't wait till I go FI, the neighbors will whole-heartedly love me then...
Old 12-28-2003, 07:54 PM
kanenj01

my story is about the same for northeast, no one revs me, i have not raced the car at all, prob cuz of the high cost of insurance. except for my own cousins whom i hang with alot. we have one z 04 (mine) g35 coupe 03, honda crapcord 95, dodge neon sport 96 and dodge intrepid2000. but just like my mecanic says; never race hondas, they always have an excuse for losing and the race is not over till they win. i now totaly ignore my own cousins on the highway. no racing for me i guess, maybe i will look for trouble after i get bigger tires.

Quick Reply: Tired of being Harased to Race(long)