Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why do internet toughguys try to make fun of FI 350Z's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bunch of bike guys made fun until I pulled on them.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm on my phone and on vacation but I've read several pubs on different outcomes between the Z and the 5.0... In fact the GT posted the quickest time between:
-Miata
-Evo
-370Z
-Mini
-VW GTi

One other thing I'd like to point out that the Z can not... Th GT is as fast in a straight line as it is in the corners. The 370z overheats the brakes and overheats the car. After reading your references I didn't realize the test has been several times and I appreciate keeping me honest. I just can't remember what damn magazine I read but I'll post it when I find it.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Mustangs do handle better than Z's btw.

WRONG!
I suggest you look here and this is a 2003 (listed as 2002 here) 350Z..not HR . The 2011 GT has it beat...but that's another animal with 412 HP.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/vi...l_raceway.html

Last edited by ronn1; 12-01-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM
R350Zz33

If no ones hating your doing something wrong /thread
Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM
TheWan

I'm on my phone and on vacation but I've read several pubs on different outcomes between the Z and the 5.0... In fact the GT posted the quickest time between:
-Miata
-Evo
-370Z
-Mini
-VW GTi

One other thing I'd like to point out that the Z can not... Th GT is as fast in a straight line as it is in the corners. The 370z overheats the brakes and overheats the car. After reading your references I didn't realize the test has been several times and I appreciate keeping me honest. I just can't remember what damn magazine I read but I'll post it when I find it.
Lol! Not trying to be witty, but come on man, 2 of the cars listed arn't really competitive against the 5.0 Mustang at all! how in the hell is Miata suppose to keep up with 400 hp in a straight line?

Even so, the result of the race will base heavily on the race track. the more cornering there are, the further back mustang will rank. There's no doubt about that. 3 of the cars listed WILL definitely out handle the mustang. (idk anything about mini or gti... so correct me if I'm wrong...)

I am not stating that the mustang isn't fast. Ford did their homework in the engine department with their 2011 5.0 engine and it has very capable speed in a straight line. What I am trying to say is that Z's had/have/and will have better handling than a mustang (I thought this was what this entire discussion was about?). I understand that 370Z's arn't the most reliable car ever built. but they do their job, and once it gets to the corner, it will beat almost any other car in that budget (Like the mustang ). Just like how 5.0 mustang will best just about any car in ITS budget in a straight line (Camero SS?).

Like I stated earlier. Mustangs will dominate the Z in drag races and hwy pulls. Z's will dominate the mustangs at the track (as in Corners). That's how it's always been and how it always will be as long as Ford doesn't drop that stupid live rear axial of theirs...

P.S. Hope your vacation is going well! Where are you visiting? (If you don't mind me asking)

Last edited by TheWan; 12-01-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

No one makes fun of the LS swap Zs lol
Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Got 13K+?

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292254

Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWan
Lol! Not trying to be witty, but come on man, 2 of the cars listed arn't really competitive against the 5.0 Mustang at all! how in the hell is Miata suppose to keep up with 400 hp in a straight line?

Even so, the result of the race will base heavily on the race track. the more cornering there are, the further back mustang will rank. There's no doubt about that. 3 of the cars listed WILL definitely out handle the mustang. (idk anything about mini or gti... so correct me if I'm wrong...)

I am not stating that the mustang isn't fast. Ford did their homework in the engine department with their 2011 5.0 engine and it has very capable speed in a straight line. What I am trying to say is that Z's had/have/and will have better handling than a mustang (I thought this was what this entire discussion was about?). I understand that 370Z's arn't the most reliable car ever built. but they do their job, and once it gets to the corner, it will beat almost any other car in that budget (Like the mustang ). Just like how 5.0 mustang will best just about any car in ITS budget in a straight line (Camero SS?).

Like I stated earlier. Mustangs will dominate the Z in drag races and hwy pulls. Z's will dominate the mustangs at the track (as in Corners). That's how it's always been and how it always will be as long as Ford doesn't drop that stupid live rear axial of theirs...

P.S. Hope your vacation is going well! Where are you visiting? (If you don't mind me asking)
Finally found it but was disappointed when I saw who did the event... C&D .

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/best-handling-car-for-less-than-40000-370z-vs-evo-mustang-gt-gti-miata-mini-jcw-feature-car-and-driver-2011-ford-mustang-gt-page-1

It was based on the best handling cars for less than $40k and that's why the Mini, GTi, and Miata are in the discussion. For the most part the Mustang romped everyone(pg5) minus the Evo. It's faster in a straight line and faster on a track but it's slower around the cones. They do compete with the 370z(Direct competitor actually other than the Genesis 3.8) and that's a fact. The one thing the Mustang kills the Z in is options. The GT is not the top model in the line up and there's a dedicated racing model... Meaning you can spec one out for a racing series from Ford Motorsports. The Boss 302 murders a Nismo on track duty and the GT500's are just scary... I'm aware of the price difference but the options are still there. After all... Z's in Japan are the equivalent of what Mustangs are here.

I just landed in Puerto Rico for my grandma's bday and my grand parents 62 wedding anniversary. Thanks for asking... I feel guilty that my car is being supercharged and I haven't been there for the whole install.

One thing to the OP... Look at how some of the guys are here, straight dumbasses. Haters will hate but will hate more when your an idiot... I get props from every make you can think of(Porsche to Lambo's) because I just cruise, I don't cause trouble, and don't harass other cars to race. Look at some of the cars on the forum, If you drove any other car that wasn't a Z and saw some of the garbage that's on here... I sincerely doubt you'd respect even a FI'd Z. That's just a thought and I honestly believe that no one can argue that fact at all. My car isn't even in the top 50 "nice" cars on MY350Z but man there's a lot more horrid examples running around here.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 PM
TheWan

Finally found it but was disappointed when I saw who did the event... C&D .

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tang-gt-page-1

It was based on the best handling cars for less than $40k and that's why the Mini, GTi, and Miata are in the discussion. For the most part the Mustang romped everyone(pg5) minus the Evo. It's faster in a straight line and faster on a track but it's slower around the cones. They do compete with the 370z(Direct competitor actually other than the Genesis 3.8) and that's a fact. The one thing the Mustang kills the Z in is options. The GT is not the top model in the line up and there's a dedicated racing model... Meaning you can spec one out for a racing series from Ford Motorsports. The Boss 302 murders a Nismo on track duty and the GT500's are just scary... I'm aware of the price difference but the options are still there. After all... Z's in Japan are the equivalent of what Mustangs are here.

I just landed in Puerto Rico for my grandma's bday and my grand parents 62 wedding anniversary. Thanks for asking... I feel guilty that my car is being supercharged and I haven't been there for the whole install.

One thing to the OP... Look at how some of the guys are here, straight dumbasses. Haters will hate but will hate more when your an idiot... I get props from every make you can think of(Porsche to Lambo's) because I just cruise, I don't cause trouble, and don't harass other cars to race. Look at some of the cars on the forum, If you drove any other car that wasn't a Z and saw some of the garbage that's on here... I sincerely doubt you'd respect even a FI'd Z. That's just a thought and I honestly believe that no one can argue that fact at all. My car isn't even in the top 50 "nice" cars on MY350Z but man there's a lot more horrid examples running around here.
GTR~! /thread

lol! If you go out of "regular" mustangs, that's entirely a different story.
The main point of this entire discussion was, in equivalent trim and year, which car handles better Z or Mustang? I think I proved that Z's handle superior to Mustang if you have to start talking about different option of the mustang... just saying. (As in, there's no BOSS model for 2002-2008 mustangs when 350Z's production ended, and no equivalent BOSS trim for 370Z)

So you're going FI! Congret! Hope you'll like the feeling of V6 pulling like a V8. Now you can beat 5.0's in a straight line! Built engine? stock? Vortech? Stillen?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I really hate those dumb tests, to do it right they need to put all cars on equal rubber.

BTW the 370Z brakes are actually pretty good, the problem is the aero on the car does not allow any cooling/air flow to them. Minor problem, and easily fixed.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM
JeffJohnries

Old 12-02-2011, 07:16 AM
MaelstrØm

Back to the original point: the reason people don't trust 350z FIs is that they are unreliable. Before you get too excited about that statement, I did a survey a while back on folks who did FI their VQ engines. The result was that the average engine life was 22,000 miles, and many of the FI owners were on a second or third engine.

In other words, the VQ doesn't hold the power that well. If you FI it, be prepared to replace the engine after a shortened lifetime. However, that is true of many cars that are not factory FI. You need to lower compression, tighten valves, etc. for FI, so a built engine is the way to go if you want to do it on the 350z. Just doing a bolt-on is asking for trouble, long-term.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

OP: yeah, mustangs and camaros are totally better, serially. FI is for punanies. Reel men dont need bold ons. Now go make fun of a ricer.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

People are going to hate:
  1. Your car is fugly
  2. Someone is jealous

A nice car is a nice car, who cares? They're are tons of knuckleheads out there so who really cares what a stranger has to say.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Those aren't true Zs.

They're bastardized.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Recent 5.0 GT's and older GT500's... 2004+ Cobra's with independent rear suspensions handle better too.
sorry I came from mustangs. to include the 2001 GT and the 2003 Cobra. Helped a buddy rebuild an 1984 snoop nose hatch with a carbed GT40 engine.... it was nasty except the rear end sucked big time on handling.

I have to highly disagree. Handle in the since of whole shot on the drag strip...Yes.

handle as in turning at high speed...hellz no.

I tried to turn and the car went straight into a curb. I traded it one day after I fixed the damage.

GT5000s older had too skinny a tire too compare or compete, newer gt500 are fat hogs that should be burned at the end of the assembly line!

However the new new GT500 actually makes the HP the manufacturer claims, still clocking in at 2 tons, its not an impressive move from Ford against Nissan Sales

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 12-02-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MaelstrØm
Back to the original point: the reason people don't trust 350z FIs is that they are unreliable. Before you get too excited about that statement, I did a survey a while back on folks who did FI their VQ engines. The result was that the average engine life was 22,000 miles, and many of the FI owners were on a second or third engine.

In other words, the VQ doesn't hold the power that well. If you FI it, be prepared to replace the engine after a shortened lifetime. However, that is true of many cars that are not factory FI. You need to lower compression, tighten valves, etc. for FI, so a built engine is the way to go if you want to do it on the 350z. Just doing a bolt-on is asking for trouble, long-term.

not out here on the east coast. Most FI are stock block running on 50-100K miles out here. Its all about the proper tuning and knowing the customer. Older more responsible non daily driver tunes (IMO) should be a bit more agressive than a 23 year old who is at the track 3 times a week. So it all depends on the tune and the person.

I have been on 3 engines NA, before boost. Because of that I built.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

we have somehow gotten away from the reality of the topic.. none of the "parking lot haters" care about skid pad etc.. they are just speaking off the cuff.
It boils down to the fact that domestic guys are domestic guys.. import guys are import guys... and its also FAR cheaper to mod up a Mustang then it is to get into a FI 350z. To each their own. I will add that 350z guys are total d#cks to ea other too.. its the biggest p@ssing match ive ever seen. Mustang guys arent so bad.. so again, i say to each his own.

Each factor carries its own weight to whomever is speaking negatively.

Whcih btw is the reason i NEVER , read NEVER attende car shows.. its like a mass of ppl walking around talking sh#t about cars.. its a group hysteria.. very very very odd to me.

i like my car, im 34, i dont give a fuh fuh fuh fuuuh if someones talking ish.. its what ppl do.

Last edited by bmccann101; 12-02-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
MaelstrØm

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
not out here on the east coast. Most FI are stock block running on 50-100K miles out here. Its all about the proper tuning and knowing the customer. Older more responsible non daily driver tunes (IMO) should be a bit more agressive than a 23 year old who is at the track 3 times a week. So it all depends on the tune and the person.

I have been on 3 engines NA, before boost. Because of that I built.
First, I highly doubt that coastal location affects the reliability of the engine.

Second, I agree it depends on the tune and the person.

Third, IN GENERAL, most FI on stock blocks are not running 50-100K miles. As I mentioned, I did surveys on this from FI owners (both here and on another forum). Of the reporting people, the vast majority had replaced an engine due to failure after FI.

It sounds like you did a build-out on yours - if so, then you aren't part of the reporting group.

Whether that means the vast majority of FI setups are installed wrong or tuned wrong, or whether it means the VQ is fundamentally not good for FI, is irrelevant to the fact that if you go FI, you stand a very high chance of losing your block around 20-30K miles.

I would be happy to run another survey and formalize it more if I could be sure I'd get enough people reporting. In fact, I could include questions about transmission counts, etc. It all depends on what the moderators will tolerate.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:19 AM
drivessidewayz

^^
This reminds me of the nitrous debate...nitrous doesn't hurt your engine any more than a supercharger or turbo. It's how you set it all up that makes the difference.

It would be nice to get a detailed survey, but an accurate one would be rather pointless *imo* because in addition to different shops doing the installs you have:
different cars to begin with
different parts
different tunes
different drivers
different driving situations
different geographical areas
etc.

Anyway on the original topic: "haters gonna hate". I've never actually heard anyone talking crap about my car, but I don't really care. I'm happy with its progress and my ability to drive it so people can talk all they want.

Quick Reply: Why do internet toughguys try to make fun of FI 350Z's?