Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
350zwaters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from a S2000 i think the z is super quiet and comfy lol
Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have rode in my NISMO when I had my JIC single. Now that was fugging loud!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Because luxury car
Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Nibiru

My ultimate goal for the car is to have a Z which should have originally came from Nissan. That's a super quiet coupe that makes about 300whp and has a much nicer interior.
Considering its a sports car i would rather have Nissan not install all the heavy sound detening material and get rid of some of the other added extra weight. If i wanted a superquiet coupe that makes 300 HP and has a nice interior i would have bought a Mercedes.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Ronin82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A $1,000 isn't that bad for adding class and refinement to any car.I also realize that this is a sports car, but that doesn't mean it has to be loud with a lot of driving noise.
Dynplat the whole interior?? How do you not like the sound of your Z??

Originally Posted by eddogz
Answer the tire question... I'm switching out my tires this week due to loud Falken FK 452 tires. As a tire wears it gets louder.
Are you guys rolling in Z's with lift kits and huge off road tires or something, because I dont know this "noise" people are crying about,... then again my upgrades drown out "noisy tires", LoL!!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well this is definitely not a fantasy thread, it's a plan of something that will happen. A $1,000 isn't that bad for adding class and refinement to any car.

I also realize that this is a sports car, but that doesn't mean it has to be loud with a lot of driving noise. Just a minor gripe I plan to fix. I will post before and after decibal levels to confirm success.

All cars are just tin cans. To make them quiet, you have to add sound deadening materials. That adds weight - something counterintuitive to a sports car.

As others have indicated, you can definitely reduce the road noise with the proper choice of tires. Of course, you sacrafice grip/handling sometimes when you go to a softer/quieter tire.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
If i wanted a superquiet coupe that makes 300 HP and has a nice interior i would have bought a Mercedes.
The wife drives an Mercedes SLK and while it is a few steps up from the Z, it's not really that quiet or soft riding. Like everything else involved with a car, it's all about compromises.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My ultimate goal for the car is to have a Z which should have originally came from Nissan. That's a super quiet coupe that makes about 300whp and has a much nicer interior.
Your goal and Nissan's goal were apparently two different things......
Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Your goal and Nissan's goal were apparently two different things......
His goal and 99.9% of every other Z owner's goal are apparently two different things!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Because luxury car
^^^^^This
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM
ny garbage_juice

buy a prius, as quiet as a power wheels car and just as fast
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
NZMOWND

Originally Posted by ny garbage_juice
buy a prius, as quiet as a power wheels car and just as fast
if not faster!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
ny garbage_juice

Originally Posted by NZMOWND
if not faster!
lol exactly. easy decision
Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
winger492

dumb thread is dumb
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
jumbosrule

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I happen to agree with the OP and had great success with DIY dampening. The biggest difference was in using a hoodliner for me, but I also put down a butyl rubber dampener behind the doors, under the carpeting and in the trunk. Each section was done over a few hours on a weekend so I was able to feel/hear the difference after dampening just the hood, just the doors, just the trunk, etc.

Yes I added about 45 pounds to the car but it's not even possible to feel that weight. Not even a consideration for me with the benefit of what it does to the inside of the car.

I should mention this is the third car I have done this to - and after my first car I decided it would be standard for every car I own from now on. Totally improves the interior feel, better sound from the stereo, more solid, fewer rattles and squeeks... nothing but good things to say about doing it.

The Z really is designed as a sports car and so I would expect a few luxury items to be left out. Nissan saved the luxury items for the Infiniti line - but even those benefit from aftermarket dampening.

Keep in mind there are a lot of different products out there. There are dampeners like Dynamat and BoomMat, but those are meant to be applied under an insulation layer for ambient sound reduction.

I would recommend starting with a hood liner.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 01-10-2012 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tachiro-X (06-28-2017)
Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
killnine

On a related note, I just bought a stereo with 8 15" subwoofers and a 5000 watt amp and it's kinda loud too. Anyone have any ideas on how I could quiet her down some?

I do like your determination though, and I'm in for pics of your DB meter before and after.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I asked a simple question. Goodbye forever friend.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Mr. Nibiru

Originally Posted by eddogz
Answer the tire question... I'm switching out my tires this week due to loud Falken FK 452 tires. As a tire wears it gets louder.
I understand the tire noise is probably the biggest offender. I was hoping for some input from members on what they have done to quiet the Z33 down.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Mr. Nibiru

Default Thanks.

Originally Posted by jumbosrule
I happen to agree with the OP and had great success with DIY dampening. The biggest difference was in using a hoodliner for me, but I also put down a butyl rubber dampener behind the doors, under the carpeting and in the trunk. Each section was done over a few hours on a weekend so I was able to feel/hear the difference after dampening just the hood, just the doors, just the trunk, etc.

Yes I added about 45 pounds to the car but it's not even possible to feel that weight. Not even a consideration for me with the benefit of what it does to the inside of the car.

I should mention this is the third car I have done this to - and after my first car I decided it would be standard for every car I own from now on. Totally improves the interior feel, better sound from the stereo, more solid, fewer rattles and squeeks... nothing but good things to say about doing it.

The Z really is designed as a sports car and so I would expect a few luxury items to be left out. Nissan saved the luxury items for the Infiniti line - but even those benefit from aftermarket dampening.

Keep in mind there are a lot of different products out there. There are dampeners like Dynamat and BoomMat, but those are meant to be applied under an insulation layer for ambient sound reduction.

I would recommend starting with a hood liner.
This is exactly what I was hoping to get out of this thread. I will definately do the hood first.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Mr. Nibiru

Default Compromise.

Well here's the deal. You don't have to compromise. This is exactly what the aftermarket is for. To fix the shortcomings of the manufacterer.

Here a video for the rest of you. You know who you are.

And for all you haters on this forum, which is like half of you, here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deCsa1bagwM

Quick Reply: It's too loud in my Z.