2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DNash9
I was under the impression that RWD cars were much easier to control than FWD?
I hope this was a joke.

Originally Posted by Swiffer
Buy a used RSX.
^^^This FTW

Allow me to clarify. I love the Z. I believe that it is an incredible car and would rather drive a custom Z than Porsche or Corvette any day. My problem is not that I am cheap or that I am not willing to sacrifice for the car. I'm a broke 18 year old headed to college to get a Master's Degree in Computer Engineering. I'm looking at 7 years of school...it's expensive. Thankfully, my parents have agreed to buy me a car. They also agreed to pay my insurance for the first few years as long as I keep my grades up. I am in the process of getting a job now; however, I couldn't afford a 300ZX with the money I'll be making at whatever local fast-food joint that happens to hire me. I'm not a kid that watched Fast and Furious and decided to start street racing...I love the Z, and am doing everything I can to get my hands on one, because I'm a teenage guy and that's my dream first car. I don't profess to be the most knowledgeable or most passionate about cars...all I can say is that I love that car, and that I'm doing everything in my power to get my hands on one...can you blame me?
You should work on your bachelor's degree before jumping into a Master's Program.

In all honesty OP, I would get something inexpensive with good fuel economy while you're in college. Concentrate on your school work and save for a nice car when you graduate.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Modrummer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the RSX, but from what I've been reading it seems that even it has high insurance if I get the Type-S (which is the only real option for a true sports car)
True sports car?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:47 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Can't blame you

Allow me to clarify. I love the Z. I believe that it is an incredible car and would rather drive a custom Z than Porsche or Corvette any day. My problem is not that I am cheap or that I am not willing to sacrifice for the car. I'm a broke 18 year old headed to college to get a Master's Degree in Computer Engineering. I'm looking at 7 years of school...it's expensive. Thankfully, my parents have agreed to buy me a car. They also agreed to pay my insurance for the first few years as long as I keep my grades up. I am in the process of getting a job now; however, I couldn't afford a 300ZX with the money I'll be making at whatever local fast-food joint that happens to hire me. I'm not a kid that watched Fast and Furious and decided to start street racing...I love the Z, and am doing everything I can to get my hands on one, because I'm a teenage guy and that's my dream first car. I don't profess to be the most knowledgeable or most passionate about cars...all I can say is that I love that car, and that I'm doing everything in my power to get my hands on one...can you blame me?
No,can't blame you.But as you are saying,there are priorities you have to face.
Listen,I'm up in years...more than likely older than your parents.
I'm sure you appreciate what they are willing to do...help you buy the car.
From what you have written,I feel you understand what I'm about to say.
Some cars are just cars.Some cars,very few are...just "special".They have what I call a "soul".
The 350Z is one of them.
Out of the 90 odd cars I've owned,only a handful--had "soul".The Z is unique in this regard because its quite forgiving(except in the pocketbook for stuff that you always want to do to it--its never really over.You say it is but
you are just lying...).The Z is vrtually trouble free.Of all the cars I've owned,
the few with "a soul" were usually a pain in the ***.Us that have had a bunch of cars always have one that they wish "they still had/never should have sold".Mine was a 62" Jag E-Type(XKE)roadster.If I had it today,it'd be worth
close to 90K.
Thats not the point.
The point is what "we" went through together.How "we" kept it running.
All the overheating,leaks did'nt matter.It was the experience,the sound,the ride that few cars offer these days.You had this feeling that when you did a fix,"he" said thank you.
Trust me,I owned an original 240Z(Datsun).The 350 is from the same bloodline...pedigree.
Its got a soul.
The other cars you mentioned do not.

Find a way to get that Z!

Last edited by JCITY; 03-01-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
805350z

Also, I was under the impression that RWD cars were much easier to control than FWD?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM
keniff536

Here are a few things to consider. Whose name will the Z be in? I think you wrote that you will be on your parent's policy. If that is the case, the car will have to be in your parents’ name. I don't think insurance companies allow the car to be in one name and insured in another. But this might be the least expensive(insurance wise) way to go if your parents are willing to do that. You would be added onto their policy and covered on all the cars your parents own. If the car is in your name, rates will be factored around you and only you, which I'm sure would cost more. The only draw back to the car being in your parents' name is that they can come take it whenever your grades drop. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

College student, you want a car with back seats to fit all the chicks your ganna be banging.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Suwaidi

From an economical perspective, take this reply into consideration. Buying a car involves a bunch of costs, including: Insurance, Maintenance, MPG (based on car to car), and the end Depreciation value. Since your parents have agreed to buy you the car, you don't have to worry about the initial investment. But, there's the day-to-day gas mileage, your monthly insurance, and any maintenance you have to perform. My advice;

(1) Look at multiple insurance companies, not just one. That means StateFarm, LibertyMutual, Geico, Progressive, Esurance (part of StateFarm), Nationwide, and whatever else you can find. I went with LibertyMutual, so did my roommate, and his friend too since they had the lowest quotes.

Insurance-wise, I would wait until the end of your first semester to start your policy. This is because most companies offer a "Good Student Discount" which is quite significant with most companies, and requires you to maintain a 3.0 or higher, which I'm hoping you'll be able to do.

Insurance depends on multiple variables. I remember reading that age-price won't be decreased until you're 21 or 25. Other than that there's your history, when you got your license, any discounts put into place, and if you're under your parents policy < Much cheaper.

(2) Mileage. I'm making 14MPG commuting 2 miles a day, or 20MPG on the highways. Think about gas prices in your area, and if the end result is worth it.

(3) Depreciation/Maintenance. There's an investment to made after your initial investment. Assuming you're getting a pre-07, you would have to pay any repairs out of your pocket. In comparison to your 2009 example, I'm assuming it would still be covered under warranty.

So, to answer your questions:

I'm just wondering whether the insurance will be doable.

Yes, it is doable providing that you'll be able to cover x amount each month. As I said before, try to find the best price with a reliable company. You could always work to pay off your insurance.

I'm not looking for numbers because those are almost impossible to determine without calling the insurance company (which is not exactly an option at this point because...well, let's be honest, my parents are sick of hearing about the incredible car that is the Nissan 350z).

Most of the insurance companies I've seen (if not all) allow online quotes. Put in your details, your hypothetical car, and get a quote. Note that in the end you can modify your deductibles, etc. - so that makes a HUGE price difference.

If I compare the insurance rates of a 2003 Z to a comparatively priced 2009 Civic EX, will the sports car factor still ruin my insurance?

They factor in a bunch of variables including safety features, age etc. - Best way to find out is to plug it in!

Or will the age of the car bring it down a bit?

I compared my 08 Z to an 11 Mustang and an 11 Camaro - Both the mustang and the camaro had lower rates. So in my test, it was.

In the end, it's up to you. I hope this post helps you in some way.

Last edited by Suwaidi; 03-01-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM
JedixSole

im 18. i had my 03 track since i was 17. insurance is 250 a month for me.

your gonna want a car with back seats and bigger trunk trust me. all i can fit is my backpack, some books, and extra clothes.

Last edited by JedixSole; 03-01-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
JedixSole

Originally Posted by elguaje909
I dont think any one under the age of 21 should own a z.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM
xX Lil Oly Xx

Originally Posted by JedixSole
im 18. i had my 03 track since i was 17. insurance is 250 a month for me.

your gonna want a car with back seats and bigger trunk trust me. all i can fit is my backpack, some books, and extra clothes.
+1 I'm 23 now. Also have a 03z since I was 21 and paying that same amount for insurance too.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Imo, just get w/e you want.

Rule of thumb: You gotta pay to play.

If you can't afford the insurance payment, then you can't play. Call up diff insurance companies n see the rate you'll get. And honestly, if you get a Z, act like typical 18 yr old, show off n total your Z, that only does the rest of us more good. Less Z's around so car won't be seen everywhere like camaros or mustangs.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM
R350Zz33

i pay 365 a month for my 2003 benz e500 i have 1 ticket red light(was really yellow) ur under 21 your an assinged risk deal with it when i turn 21 my rates will drop
Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Josh|Swag

I'm a 21 year old college student, the insurance in my car is in my mother's name, but I'm listed as one of the drivers. Insurance on my car is a little over $450/6 months, so $900-950 a year.

If you can, I'd tell you to take that route.
Just make sure you steer clear of wrecks and tickets because a wreck or a couple of tickets could make your insurance sky rocket. My sister, who is also 21, has had two wrecks, one in which her car was totalled, and her insurance is almost $2k more a year than mine.

As far as this guy telling you to buy an rsx, they're extremely ugly in my opinion. A friend of mine in high school had one, and I doubt insurance would be ALL that much lower, if any.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 AM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by Josh|Swag

As far as this guy telling you to buy an rsx, they're extremely ugly in my opinion. A friend of mine in high school had one, and I doubt insurance would be ALL that much lower, if any.
the legendary RSX is a big part of this site how dare you call it ugly.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 AM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by elguaje909
I dont think any one under the age of 21 should own a z.
you shouldn't think
dont hate cause your old and dont have a nice z like us youngsters
Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 AM
JedixSole

im on the verge of trading my Z for a S2K...

Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 AM
F34RL355
Banned

can u affored the gas? ~400$ a month?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Butros17

IMO I'd take the same route that I did. Go cheap turd car through college (I drove a Hyundai Elantra while completing a 7 year degree in architecture); and use the potential of the Z as incentive for all those days when you're not wanting to work on a project, or get up to make it to that 9am class after pounding dollar pitchers all night. Get through school, and save yourself (ie your parents) a ton of money. And make yourself the promise that once you have degree in hand, go shopping. I graduated in June 07, and picked up my brand new Z like 4 weeks later.

Theres no need for a car at all in college, let alone a Z. Most universities don't even allow freshmen to have cars. Add in the hassle of 15,000 potential drunken haters wandering campus; why dangle a pretty carrot out there for them to mess with?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:47 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
I hope this was a joke.

While looking at the Acura TSX and TL, I continued to read about the horrible torque steer in the TL...I know that RWD is harder to handle in snow and rain, but I assumed that a RWD would be better for a sports car...hey, I'm learning.

^^^This FTW

You should work on your bachelor's degree before jumping into a Master's Program.

Obviously I am getting my bachelor's first, but the career path I have chosen (software engineering) will lead me to obtain a master's as well.

In all honesty OP, I would get something inexpensive with good fuel economy while you're in college. Concentrate on your school work and save for a nice car when you graduate.
I'm thinking the same thing...As much as I would love a 350z, it does make more sense to get something cheaper. Now, that is not to say that I'll completely give up on the Z...but I definitely have backup cars./
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 AM
DNash9

I completely screwed up the last post...first time quoting...but you get the picture

Quick Reply: First Car