Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Guard Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 07:17 AM
Todd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Guard Needed?

One thing I'm worried about it the total lack of any kind of door ding protection. Can someone Photoshop a small bumper guard along the door to see what one would look like? I just hate for irresponsible people to beat the hell out of the side of my Z like they've done with my current car!
Old 06-01-2002, 07:04 PM
blackknight

Park in the back of the lot......waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back!!!!
Old 06-01-2002, 10:41 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by blackknight
Park in the back of the lot......waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back!!!!
I try to do that now, and sometimes you just CAN'T. Like if you drive your Z to some kind of "event" where the parking guys are directing you.

I plan on buying a thick car cover. It won't get rid of the dings, but it might eliminate some of the scrapes.

I've also thought about sewing a flexible rubber "pad" into the cover that would run along the door. That way you get the best of both worlds: you don't mess up the Z's lines and you get door protection. Plus for car thieves: out of sight, out of mind.

Heck, maybe somebody even makes a padded car cover with built-in door protection. Maybe we here on my350z could even custom request something like that from a manufacturer and make it available from the my350z store. California Car Cover says they can "custom make" car covers. I wonder if they can put a door protector foam or rubber insert in there. I'll call.

Never mind. I just called them and they don't and won't. They said "but if you do that, you can't roll it up." I said "you could just cut a couple of horizontal slits in the foam or rubber and then fold it up." Duh.

I'll start working on this for my350z and if it turns out its workable maybe we could put it in the store. We could sell it for cost or maybe use the profits to help with running the board.

Jay, you out there? You think that's a good idea or not?

Last edited by BrianZ; 06-01-2002 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:12 AM
TCL

I thought I remembered seeing some magnetic door guards once that you could slap on when needed. Don't know if they are still around.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:10 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by TCL
I thought I remembered seeing some magnetic door guards once that you could slap on when needed. Don't know if they are still around.
I've seen those before. I still think I'd prefer something in the car cover.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:23 AM
jeffw

Originally posted by TCL
I think that's a really cool idea EXCEPT the fact that magnets pick up little metal shavings over time. Eventually, the pads will start scratching the paint.

I remember a guy posting to ZCAR talking about them. He just went to a sign shop and had them make some custom magnetic signs.
--
Jeff