2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the Z or buy an audi A5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 AM
vndr09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2008 Touring Z with navi; then switched to a 2009 Audi A4 2.0T. Yes, it's not an A5, but it's got the same suspension, interior, engine, tranny, luxuries, etc etc etc.

I have now switched back and have a G35 coupe. It's not as fast as the Z, but I missed everything about the Z, but wanted a back seat...so I got the G.

I'll tell you a little about my 13 month ownership of the A4.

INTERIOR: As everyone above has stated, the sound system is way better. I didn't even have the B&O system, but it was better. The interior is nicer. Duh, it's a luxury car. Now compare the G35/G37 interiors to the Audis, I'd go with the Infiniti...the Audis have a bunch of cheap material that hides real well...and I mean real well. But the interior of the Audis do look really good. The seats in the Z/G are much more sporty than the Audis. They grip you on the sides, whereas the Audis is more of just a regular seat. If you want a sporty seat, you'd have to bump up to the RS5 or the R8.

EXTERIOR: Not much to say here; it's all subjective. However, I did transform my A4 into what I thought looked pretty good ...

However, you can spend a lotta money and make just about any car look good; especially our Z/G's! The one advantage of the Audi's exterior is the LED drl's. Everyone loves those, and I'm not gonna lie, they are sick. But I still like the body flow and design of the Z/G's exterior MUCH more than the Audis.

PERFORMANCE: Hands down, without a doubt, never going back to Audi, the Z/G's destroy the Audi. I spent a lot of time and money making that 2.0T engine as fast as it could get. As people have mentioned above, I got the APR tune. I even got the stage 2 upgrade. I got the high flow cat, S4 exhaust, and best intake I could find for the car. Granted, I didn't upgrade the pulleys, manifold, and other areas of the car. But I did the most common modifications that people do to make their 2.0T Audis fast. I will say this: the pull on the car from 4k-6k rpm's is ALMOST as fast as a stock G. It doesn't compare to a stock Z. And that's AFTER all of my modifications. Also, once it hits the 3,5000 rpm point, the engine spools up to the redline so fast that you can't really experience the acceleration for much time at all. It's like this: you feel the nice power in the Z starting around 3,500k all the way up to your redline...and that lasts for a while. And you can do that and feel a decent amount of power all the way up through 3rd gear. Sometimes through 4th. In the Audi, you feel that power for maybe 1/3 as long as the Z/G because the turbo shoots the engine through its powerband so damn fast. You can hardly enjoy the acceleration. Plus, after you get through 2nd gear, the Audi feels like it's slower than molasses. Idk why, but after driving my A4 for a year, and test driving a few A5's, it just never satisfied me after 2nd gear.

Handling wise: the Z is the best handling car under $40k, except for maybe an RX8. The Audi is horrible...granted, I didn't have the S-line suspension; but I'm still extremely confident that the S-line suspension still won't compare to our Z/G's.

I know I don't sound to educated in the high-tech areas of comparing these cars, but after owning my 08 Z for 22 months, switching to the Audi for 13 months, I've decided to go back with a G35 coupe just a few months ago. Don't get the A5. Don't even get the S5. If anything, get a 2007-2010 335i coupe and get the Dinan software on it...easy boost to around 400hp; and it'll still be around $8k less than the S5. But still, I love the Z/G's...never going with an Audi A4/A5 again I can tell you that! I hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:26 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by vndr09

PERFORMANCE: I will say this: the pull on the car from 4k-6k rpm's is ALMOST as fast as a stock G. It doesn't compare to a stock Z. And that's AFTER all of my modifications. Also, once it hits the 3,5000 rpm point, the engine spools up to the redline so fast that you can't really experience the acceleration for much time at all. It's like this: you feel the nice power in the Z starting around 3,500k all the way up to your redline...and that lasts for a while. And you can do that and feel a decent amount of power all the way up through 3rd gear. Sometimes through 4th. In the Audi, you feel that power for maybe 1/3 as long as the Z/G because the turbo shoots the engine through its powerband so damn fast. You can hardly enjoy the acceleration.
What years were the G and Z? DE or HR? Both? 5A or 6 speed?

What you're describing (with what you're feeling) is midrange pull from torque and longer gear ratios. If you enjoy that type of driving experience American muscle cars have loads of it, slower revving, longer gearing but lots of torque. Cars with smaller displacement, close gear ratios, turbo/modded tend to rev and hit peak power quickly.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:15 PM
vndr09

2008 Z. So HR. and a G35 coupe. So DE (they didn't make HR G35 coupes. Both were/are manual. So I got the revup G. And I understand what you're saying, but the Audi only felt that way AFTER the tune. The G and Z never felt that way.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:33 PM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have both. Two different animals, the a5 definetly turns heads and gets Tons of cons. Nothing out weighs rear wheel drive sports car handling though. You need to figure out which car is capable of more fun and performance and that may be the z IMO
Old 07-01-2012, 07:40 PM
zaimer

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
i like audi interiors and sound system quality but that's it. A5/S5 just doesn't compare to the distinct way the Z drives and feels.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 AM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Like everyone else said. Friend was deciding between cars (3 series, a5, g37, is250). The A5 was a turd on performance and didnt have the best interior. The more I looked at it, it was like meeting a girl with tons of make up, it looked sexy at first but as time passed and the illusion wore off, Audi could have done a lot more work on the appearance to make it look bolder.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 AM
juvi22003

I would say S5 but since u said its a waste of money...oh well. U dont wanna be like me where i went from a fast car to a slower car but nowadays i guess its about looks.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 AM
juvi22003

Originally Posted by dfresh713
Like everyone else said. Friend was deciding between cars (3 series, a5, g37, is250). The A5 was a turd on performance and didnt have the best interior. The more I looked at it, it was like meeting a girl with tons of make up, it looked sexy at first but as time passed and the illusion wore off, Audi could have done a lot more work on the appearance to make it look bolder.
Maybe he can just buy my Is250
Attached Thumbnails Keep the Z or buy an audi A5?-483280_10151001656399116_525936332_n.jpg   Keep the Z or buy an audi A5?-531423_10151001657939116_749714436_n.jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Kimosabe

So i test drove the a 2011 a5 a few days ago. To be honest, I wasn't looking for a better performing car than the Z. Just something new. That being said, I did like the luxury aspect of the car. And i really think it's a thing of beauty with the S package and new LED tail lights. Interior was great, and like most of you said, awesome sound quality. Performance was a lot less impressive than I anticipated. It was very depressing. That being said, I know I wouldn't modify the car performance wise. So I haven't passed up the idea yet. I decided to wait till next year to get the car. That way I won't be trading in or selling the Z as it will be cheaper and I can save for a larger down payment. I spent the day detailing the hell out of my Z, and went for a drive and fell in love with it all over again. I don't think I can part ways from the car. Only way is if i get something faster. So until next year.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 PM
man03999

or

I LIKE BOTH!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 PM
bluelineshooter

Originally Posted by Kimosabe
So i test drove the a 2011 a5 a few days ago. To be honest, I wasn't looking for a better performing car than the Z. Just something new. That being said, I did like the luxury aspect of the car. And i really think it's a thing of beauty with the S package and new LED tail lights. Interior was great, and like most of you said, awesome sound quality. Performance was a lot less impressive than I anticipated. It was very depressing. That being said, I know I wouldn't modify the car performance wise. So I haven't passed up the idea yet. I decided to wait till next year to get the car. That way I won't be trading in or selling the Z as it will be cheaper and I can save for a larger down payment. I spent the day detailing the hell out of my Z, and went for a drive and fell in love with it all over again. I don't think I can part ways from the car. Only way is if i get something faster. So until next year.
Have your cake and eat it too! Good plan!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A5 is def sexy car. but like any other cars, i see way too many A5s around here.i do see alot of Zs too, but A5 def more. and yes, maintanence and parts cost is gonna go up. DYI is gonna be pain in the ***, and its alot more complicated. i have a audi A6,and its a pain in the *** to work on. lots of sensors and electrical stuff. if you are able to deal with these issues, its not a bad car.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:03 PM
FairladyBlue

waiting is always the best thing to do. never fails, no remourse, better options
Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

have come across quite a high number of people that got the A5 as well as other Audi vehicles and within a year or two they have endless issues with the vehicle mechanically.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:29 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by rich2342
I have heard though about a persistant issue with oil sludge in these engines.
10k oil change interval probably doesn't help.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 AM
deeno

Unless you wasn't oil consumption, new piston/rings, leaks , high cost in maintenance/parts etc....get it.

Stay with the Z it's a crap load more Reliable. I can't even tell you how many a5 come in on a flatbed at my dealer...