Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan will replace my engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 04:46 PM
onefastdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan will replace my engine

Well, finally got a call back from Nissan. The engineers want to pull my engine and send it intact back to the factory so they can tear it down and figure out why it's losing oil. The dealer said to drop the car off and they'll drop in a new engine. Should take 7-10 days.

Work will be done at Torrance Nissan (thanks HFM).

I hope the 350Z's don't end up like the E46 M3's with all their engine failures....
Old 01-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Bertg

Have you had your car serviced at Torrance Nissan before? How's their service department? I ordered my car from them and am just wondering what kind of service to expect. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:45 PM
pimp1911

I know this might be wishful thinking but will they reset your odemeter.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:50 PM
CottonWoodz

Originally posted by pimp1911
I dont think the Odometer is for miles only on the engine..
Old 01-10-2004, 01:07 AM
XtaZee

Originally posted by pimp1911
They should issuse you a certificate from the delarship doing the work saying the engine was replaced at your current odometer's milage. This along with the repair order which states the milage when then work began.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:17 AM
MSOsr

Under most states' laws, replacing the engine does NOT authorize the odometer to be reset. The service order will show the mileage on the CAR when the engine was replaced.

The odometer is for the car.....not just the engine.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:32 AM
FairladyZ

Glad I dont have oil issues. What was your problem? Good luck ever selling that car. I know I would never buy it if the engine got replaced. Under warranty or not.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:18 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

I believe this is the first engine replacement I've heard of (unless supercharger added). Was it burning oil or was it blowing out somewhere?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:33 AM
samw1978

What happened?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:56 AM
dmazyn

I think I may have the same issue, my first oil change the shop said it was about 1/2 a quart low after 3000 miles and again a little over 1/2 at 7000 when I switched to Synthtic. Now I am ready for aonter change and the gage is reading lower than I remember it showing.

Anyone know what the normal oil reading on the gage is?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:57 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Nissan will replace my engine

Originally posted by onefastdoc
I hope the 350Z's don't end up like the E46 M3's with all their engine failures....
E46s engine is unique to itself.

As we know the VQ has been around for years, and is constantly reviewed as one of the top 10 engines. One of the ranking catagories is reliability.

Rest assured, another "BMW failure" event will not happen with us.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:44 PM
jckolnturn

Originally posted by dmazyn
I think I may have the same issue, my first oil change the shop said it was about 1/2 a quart low after 3000 miles and again a little over 1/2 at 7000 when I switched to Synthtic. Now I am ready for aonter change and the gage is reading lower than I remember it showing.

Anyone know what the normal oil reading on the gage is?
That's an oil pressure gauge on the dash NOT an oil volume gauge. If your oil is so low that you are showing low pressure you've got big problems. The only way to check your oil is to get out of the car and get your hands dirty and check the dipstick.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:50 PM
onefastdoc

I did not have any noticeable problems. There was never any oil leaking from below, never saw any oil burninig from the exhaust. The car has been babied, properly broken in, oil changed every 3000 miles. I noticed that at my first oil change, the oil that I drained out didn't really look like 5 quarts. I didn't think much of it then, but every time I checked my dipstick the oil level would get lower and lower. Didn't have this problem with my highly boosted Supra Turbo or my las 300ZX Stage IV Twin Turbo.

I've been debating on whether or not to just get rid of this car and buy something else. I don't want the headache of dealing with this problem. Just imagine if the new engine they replace it with has the same problem. That would really suck.

My attorney is eager to take NNA to court so I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Go Speed Ricer

As matter of fact I have that same problem.... I didnt know whether I was burning oil because there are no visible leaks? When I change my oil I fill about 3 quarts and wonder what happened to the other 2 lol. I am currenly using mobil 1 syn and changing it every 3k, I currently have 27 k miles on it. My vin# 000256. Keep updating on the situation I am very curious as to how your ordeal turns out for I will most likely follow your foot steps and I hope for the best for you and your situation
Old 01-10-2004, 07:19 PM
barrybell

[QUOTE]
Well, finally got a call back from Nissan. The engineers want to pull my engine and send it intact back to the factory so they can tear it down and figure out why it's losing oil. The dealer said to drop the car off and they'll drop in a new engine. Should take 7-10 days.

Nascar can change a engine in 40 minutes, I guess the dealer techs will need a manual. Read time 9 days replacement 1 day....
Old 01-10-2004, 09:33 PM
droideka

I'm burning 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart within 1K miles after a fresh oil change. I'm going to do a compression check and leak down along with starting an oil usage monitioring program with my dealer here shortly.

I'm not going to sell the car, but I am going to find out what the **** is going on. Early build, 07/02, <2000 VIN, 23K miles.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:06 PM
kzshin

Does this happen in any of 04 350Z????
Old 01-11-2004, 08:39 PM
D'oh

Have you guys checked your valve covers to see if there is any oil seeping through the gasket? I have a tiny bit of oil around the valve covers and I recall someone (I think they were affiliated with Crawfords) mentioning a similar experience.

In my case, I do not use any appreciable amount of oil between changes, but maybe others have worse leaks that are causing oil loss.

Also, do any of you notice drips on the garage floor under the car? That would definitel indicate that something isn't sealing properly.

-D'oh!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:48 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its also possible if you didnt use the oil plug flange you could be leaking tiny amounts over the 3 month time...

though I kinda doubt itd leak; every other car gets by without it.

Id argue to nissan that you want a new car not a new engine. you could try lemon laws to assist you in that.

with thousands of Zs on this site; and tens of thousands around the world(not to mention millions of 3.5VQs in other cars); this has never been a recurring topic. first time Ive ever seen it. wouldnt assume every 350Z is a time bomb quite yet. mistakes do happen; thats why there are lemon laws.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:55 AM
hfm

Default Re: Nissan will replace my engine

Originally posted by onefastdoc

Any news?

Oh, btw, regarding odometer, like MSOsr said, it doesn't get reset.

Quick Reply: Nissan will replace my engine