Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Info i didnt know about nissan's

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 06:19 PM
Soma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info i didnt know about nissan's

Dealer told me today that there is a burn in chip (i cant remember if he said on all or some nissans) that cause's the engine to run rich for the first 2000 km and after that the computer leans the mixture up. he brought this up when we were talking about some of the palms that can communicate with the ecu.

any thoughts on this? is it true? why do they do this?
Old 09-11-2002, 09:07 PM
Subw00er

What a great idea!

A more rich setup will make the engine run cooler because less air is mixing with the combustion. The more air you have in an explosion, the bigger the explosion! The bigger the explosion, the more heat you generate.

When an engine is breaking in, you want the engine to heat cycle - heating and cooling the parts. You dont want the engine getting too hot (ie no hard driving) or the parts (cylinder,rings etc) will not form perfectly. The better the parts jive together, the higher compression there is = bigger bang = more HP.

So if they are running it rich in the begining, then leaning it out when the parts are broken in, sounds like a perfect setup.

All you pros out there, does this sound right? I'm working off of gas powered RC car methodology.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:47 PM
Wiley

Sounds about right, LOL gas RC cars. I blew so much money on my RC-10GT.

OH, one thing. You may not care, and if you want you can tell me to shut the F up or whatever.

On a properly running engine the is actually NO explosion to speak of. What you usually get is a wall of flame that starts at the top of cylinder and moves rapidly down the cylinder wall. An explosion is normally referred to as "detonation." Detonation can be very harmful to motors, depending on the severity, and the frequency of occurance. Factors such as bad gas, high cylinder temps, high cylinder pressure, timing problems, and others can all cause it to happen.

Sorry just some useless CAR GEEK knowledge you will never be able to impress anyone with. Time for bed