Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Manual Owners - What's your driving position?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Ak48z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol some things people complain about... maybe you are just overwhelmed with options from this fancy seat thingy and should switch to a fixed racing seat? K.I.S.S keep it simple stupid... or is it stupid simple?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 PM
CoronaStylez

I would agree with getting used to the car. When I first drove mine it felt like something was off but after about a full day of driving noticed that it is an extremely driver focused car. I broke a few bones so sometimes I grunt getting into and out of it but in my seat I feel at home.

My only gripe is sometimes when I'm throwing gears my elbow hits the seat warmer.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Darkside Mojo

Originally Posted by KingBaby

At 5'9 you should be one seat position from max and the recliner is whatever your taste?

I'm 6'2 and fit perfectly at max.....I mean like a glove perfect. Only minor problem is when one of my buddies get in the passenger seat, their arm interferes with my shifting. That does not happen with females.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak48z
Lol some things people complain about... maybe you are just overwhelmed with options from this fancy seat thingy and should switch to a fixed racing seat? K.I.S.S keep it simple stupid... or is it stupid simple?
^^^^ This. OP is really over thinking the entire thing. I simply get in my car and drive and what I am wearing has really no affect.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm 6'3" and ride with the seat all the way back and slightly reclined. I find that position to be perfectly comfortable. I prefer a straight arm driving position so that works really well. And my car is a manual transmission.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkside Mojo
I'm 6'2 and fit perfectly at max.....I mean like a glove perfect. Only minor problem is when one of my buddies get in the passenger seat, their arm interferes with my shifting. That does not happen with females.
Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I'm 6'3" and ride with the seat all the way back and slightly reclined. I find that position to be perfectly comfortable. I prefer a straight arm driving position so that works really well. And my car is a manual transmission.
Same here I'm 6'4, it's all the way back and reclined all the way back. For us bigger guys that's the only way we can get that's perfect driving position.

We leave it that way no other way to rearrange it

Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM
boost'nvq35hr

i cant really help you to much as i only have one seating option available since i am 6 '3 and 250 lbs i have the seat all the way back and fully reclined with the seat as low as it will go and still wish i had another inch to slide back. i have been thinking about ways to get more room from modifying the back of the seat to different seating brackets just haven't had the time to experiment yet.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM
whatZheck

I am 5'11"(shrinking, lol), but my 29 inch inseam gives me as long of a body as a 6'4" inch guy. The car fits better than most, although it would be better if the steering wheel were telescopic and adjustable.
I was also going to say doggie style.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
icer5160

Received 428 Likes on 323 Posts

I'm 6'1"(about 215lbs) and I don't even have my seat fully adjusted to the back/reclined(I'm probably 1-2 notches before the absolute rear). Note I have a 06 Base(no electronic seats!). I'm a bit of an aggressive driver on the roads where I live. So I like to stay in an almost upright position. No low rider bs(I'll leave that to the Honda guys). Sitting upright allows for control with authority and at the same time lets the bucket seat do it's job when cornering. I have complete back support and side support so I'm not sliding around or bracing myself against the door with my left arm. The picture Kingbaby posted is almost exactly the way I sit, except since my legs are longer, my knees stick up just a little more, therefore I adjusted the tilt of the bottom to be slightly steeper.

Overall it really comes down to a matter of opinion and comfort. It's taken me about 2 years(since I've owned the Z) to really find my "happy place" in the seat. Proper elbow room, peddle feel, and shifter reach are all very important. But getting those things AND being comfortable in the process takes some trial and error. I almost forgot to point out, mirror viewing angles and blind spots are also a pain to cover in this car. The back window is just a small slit in the rear view mirror and the quarter panel windows are almost useless since the headrests block them. Anyway, that's my 2cents on the matter.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im 6'3" and my seat is almost all the way back with the steering almost all the way down. I like to have it by my knees so i can drive with my knew and push in the clutch at the same time if im eating or getting directions from my phone or something. My seat is also upright, never understood the whole tilting the seat back. its not a recliner.
On long drives my a** does start to hurt though because the seat seems a little uncomfortable on the right side. Ive driven a few other cars though one with a Sparco fighter and the other with the Bride not sure on the model and they were bothy comfy. I love the feeling of being sucked into the seat and not moving.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
OP must have short legs.
LOL stumpy...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I actually like my fixed bucket seats , they are more comfy for about the first 2 hours. only problem is the harness and not being able to more or adjust when driving.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Slyguy_38

I've discovered that I have shorter legs than I thought that I had. I have to either move the seat up to use the clutch like I would with most other M/T cars. Other option is to remember how the Z has a different engagement point then most other M/T cars and you don't need to depress the clutch pedal all the way to use it.

I tend to also slide a little in the leather seat and inevitably slouch a little, adjust the seat for that too. Then discover I'm slouching and straighten up. Then have to readjust the seat again.

Ugh
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Jbakes727

I'm 5'5" so I have to sit real close
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Steve-O Z33

For the best car control and ergonomics, you should sit where your back is straight (not leaned way back or slouching) and where your arms are close to a 90 degree angle while gripping the 10 and 2 positions on the steering wheel. Also keep in mind that you want at least 10" between you and the airbag.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 AM
JedixSole

Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Unfortunately i'm built like a monkey with long arms and short legs. I'm only 5'8" and i like to drive with my arms slightly bent and my legs (clutch leg) ever so slightly bent when the clutch is totally depressed. The best way i've found of sorting this out is with an NRG short wheel hub. This works a treat for me and i can drive for hundreds of miles, get out of the car without the slightest ache or pain anywhere. I find the Ricer drivers with their seats so far reclined that they are horizontal hilarious as this is neither safe and a great way to give yourself back problems.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Slyguy_38

Thumbs down

I've always thought it was funny seeing the driver's head so far back in a four-door car that you can see it through the rear door window. Cap is usually on backwards and fake gold teeth too...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 AM
kingdom

I actually have this exact same problem OP.... Probably because Im short. My problem is that when I feel comfortable at the steering wheel Im too far from the pedals. When Im comfortable at the pedals im too close to the steering wheel.

I have the seats with the electronic button for adjustment and every day I tap it once or twice to get it a mm closer to what I want. The next day I tap it right back and so the cycle goes.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 AM
kingdom

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
Unfortunately i'm built like a monkey with long arms and short legs. I'm only 5'8" and i like to drive with my arms slightly bent and my legs (clutch leg) ever so slightly bent when the clutch is totally depressed. The best way i've found of sorting this out is with an NRG short wheel hub. This works a treat for me and i can drive for hundreds of miles, get out of the car without the slightest ache or pain anywhere. I find the Ricer drivers with their seats so far reclined that they are horizontal hilarious as this is neither safe and a great way to give yourself back problems.
short wheel hub? I should look into that. I actually did the opposite on my old rsx when I got a racing steering wheel it was too close to the turn signal handle and I had to get an extended hub.

Quick Reply: Manual Owners - What's your driving position?