Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Clutch Burnt Smell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Neo105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new 350Z GT4 has it as well, but i dont have it when i'm driving the car but only when i get out of the car... i have 1000 Km on it (600 Miles) and it's getting less i guess... i figured it's normal...
Old 04-12-2005, 07:07 AM
bluedemon

i know exactly what smell your talking about. i got stuck in new years eve traffic going up a ramp in the universal studios parking garage. it must have been a 35 degree incline. it was the only time i had ever wanted an automatic tranny, but anyways after about an hour of that i finally reached the top and my clutch just smelled fried. the nasty smell stuck around for a couple days. i should have just stayed home.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:54 AM
desiZ

i get the same thing everytime i drive her hard, its like a sulphurish smell... since my windows are usually down when i drive her hard (cause i love hearing the engine)... i never figured it was coming from inside... my buddy (who's a car enthuziast) says its cause i'm not shifting properly...
Old 04-12-2005, 05:53 PM
bcheng4jc

i was driving on the highway one night and i started to smell a REALLY bad burnt smell of the clutch inside the cabin. i was cruising on the highway in 6th gear with my left foot on the dead pedal. i was sooooooooo confused. i thought it was the car in front of me. after a few minutes the smell had gone away. i never thought of it until it happened 2 more times after that first time. so strange.....and i still dont know what it is?!? randomly sometimes i would get a very slight slight hint of burnt clutch smell.

Last edited by bcheng4jc; 04-12-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:29 PM
myz8a4re

i hear alot about some of you getting the smell in the cabin. i only smell it when my windows are down. but you guys may be drving without the "circulation" air mode on wich allows outside air to enter the cabin. i might get the smell in the cabin if i opted for this mode but i always run with the air in the car recirculating just so i dont get any outside air smells(school bus exhaust, sulpher water sprinklers, etc)......i wonder if were all experiencing the same thing or theres a few individual problems here....could there be a clutch problem on the z's? this one would be hard to get by since any dealer could easily say the clutch has been abused or misused!

-justin
Old 04-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Loic

Red face

I actually started this post more than a year ago…since, I put in excess of 20k miles on y roadster and occasionally still get the same smell. It happens every time I work the clutch hard i.e. after few hard runs or during traffic jam while stuck on a ramp…
During regular operation or even while using the car on the track (Street of Willow or Buttonwillow) I never had this problem…I just learned to live with it…

LOIC
Old 06-20-2006, 11:17 AM
3five0_GT

Originally Posted by Loic
I actually started this post more than a year ago…since, I put in excess of 20k miles on y roadster and occasionally still get the same smell. It happens every time I work the clutch hard i.e. after few hard runs or during traffic jam while stuck on a ramp…
During regular operation or even while using the car on the track (Street of Willow or Buttonwillow) I never had this problem…I just learned to live with it…

LOIC
Damn thing happened to me too. 06' GT Roadster.
Revved to 3000rpm and bam, the sticky thang happened.
I had to pull over because the smell was so bad and I could not get the car moving. Once I came to a complete stop in the seven- eleven parking lot, I started the car but I couldn't get it into gear. So turned the egine off and left the key in the on position and still, I could not get it into any gear. I turn the ignition off and then was finally able to get into a gear. I was all smiles. Started the car and same thing happened. I couldn't get it into a gear. So I turn the car off again. This time I put the car into gear first and pressed down on the clutch, then tried to start the car. The car jerked like it would when you would stall. Weird. I never had this experience before from a manual transmission. Not even in a Honda civic.

Someone stated the smell goes away after a day or two.
It's been 3 days and when I went home yesterday, poped the hood open and I can still smell it. I must have burned it real bad. Driving is fine, but I feel that the car does not sound the same and feel the same. May just be me, but I dont have that deep tone anymore. I get more of a humming sound. Weird. Input would help.

Should I take it to nissan to check it out or waste of time?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:02 PM
s31t8n8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to your dealer and take the mechanic for a drive. Let him drive it first and then you drive it. From this he might be able to tell you if it's the clutch or not.