Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just bought an 06' Touring Roadster...Brakes/Suspension

Old 10-13-2016, 04:55 PM
MCM334

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Just bought an 06' Touring Roadster...Brakes/Suspension

I have absolutely zero mechanical abilities. I can tell you the 0-60 times but nothing mechanical.

I bought a 2006 Roadster with about 45,000 miles on it a month ago. I debated putting this in the new owner thread but I have had it for a month. I had a 30 day warranty. Literally the day my warranty expired I noticed the following and would like to see if any board members may know what is going on:

1) Brakes squeak pretty loudly upon braking. They brake effectively but squeak every time...how bad is this?

2) Worried about this one - every time I go over a bump I hear this squeaking or on uneven road. I thought it was the hood but I don't think it is. Any thoughts?

I realize its painful how little I know, but I love my Z and want to make sure I take care of it. First post and look forward to sharing more with you guys!

Cheers!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:07 AM
Timmy Tran

Hey man, I was in the same boat as you when I first got my roadster. No worries.

1) probably brake pads squeal. Very easy DIY to change them out. YouTube and this forum has a lot of information on that.

2) that's a very vague description, might wanna add more info. Lots of knowledgeable people on this forum, give them info to help ya.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:04 AM
BurgerBob

I would check the pads for the brake squealing. The noise you are hearing over bumps is most likely the suspension, not the hood. At that age things begin to wear. May be a worn bushing.

If you search around here there are a ton of threads detailing how to check and change them out. Bushings I would not do myself unless you are up to it. Pads are easy enough though. Definitely check them first before just replacing them, even new pads can squeal.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:16 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the forum. As Timmy and Bob have said, its worth taking a look at your brake pads to make sure they are not down to the rivets (worn out). Chances are its nothing more than the back of the brake pads needing a smear of copper grease, this will stop the squealing especially if you have Brembo's fitted. The squeaking sounds to me like it could be your drop links.
Both jobs are easy, there are YouTube videos on both of these and it'll be worth taking a look especially one to do with failing drop links as this'll give you a clear idea whether this is your problem. Your knowledge will grow over time and with each job you do so don't worry yourself about it. Fix these two problems yourself and your confidence will soar.
The following users liked this post:
MCM334 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 09:19 AM
MCM334

Exclamation

So upon realizing my original description was vague I did an experiment. I drove to work with top down...noise continued. Kept top up for lunch. No noises.

It is obviously something with the top (which doesn't occur when up). Maybe drop links on the anti-roll bar?

I have done a search of the forum but so far nothing quite like it.