Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil/dirt on undertray?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM
davidmrqz3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil/dirt on undertray?

I inspected my under-tray this morning and noticed it had oil/dirt accumulated on the top of the under-tray. It wasn't a big portion of oil... it was more so just dirt with a little bit of oil. I have the ZSPEED under-tray and I normally scrape a little bit but the under-tray isn't damaged. Does anyone know where its all coming from or if its normal? I don't have a jack at the moment so I can't fully inspect it. My car also doesn't leak oil and it doesn't leave oil when I park somewhere. Any input will be appreciated. My last oil change was 3k miles ago. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
rearranged (01-09-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 01:36 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Your Z doesn't leave oil when you park somewhere because it's falling onto your undertray. We cannot advise on where it is coming from with the limited information you provided. Depending on where on the undertray the oil is dropping, you will have to remove it and fully inspect everything, there isn't really any other option. I would keep a careful eye on your oil level until then
Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

i have the same issue. however the culprit for my leak and urs may be different. For me i pinpointed it to be the rear main seal and the leak was coming from the area where the transmission bolts to the engine (that is where the rear main seal is). It would never drip on the ground but i could see oil balling up into droplets at that area. i had to buy 3 or 4 cans of brake cleaner and spray the entire area down starting from the front all the way back to the transmission to clean the area and pinpoint the leak. I highly suggest you do the same to pinpoint your leak since it sounds like something I have also.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:05 PM
ZmanIsCool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak?

Bummer. As it's a problem, you can use an oil leak detector dye which will show you active leaks after running the engine for a period of time, using a florescent light for illumination.

It would be a good idea to clean your engine and surrounding areas with engine cleaner to help you narrow your search zone.

Good luck!