Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

About to buy a 2004 6MT 350z, looking for your guidance. (Hawaii)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:12 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Kauai350Z
Is 11k a good price for it?
That's an average price. I think you'd be fair to offer $9000 - $9500 depending on condition. Like Travis says, location is a big determining factor on price and so is supply and demand. Look for any faults that will require monetary attention and base your value on that. Since it's a 10-year old car, it'd be a really good idea to have a local mechanic inspect it before you agree to the purchase; it'll be $150 well-spent.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:36 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Geo location IS everything as has been mentioned. Here in Northern California, people are ASKING ridiculous prices for HR '07-8s. Average asking is a couple grand MORE and have more than twice the mileage! Check SF Bay craigslist if you think I'm exaggerating.

So its all relative. I would tend to think that an $11k Z ON KAUAI, likely (don't know for sure) where pickin's are relatively slim (grand total of two Zs in Kauai craigslist...), $11k asking isn't bad. Buy for $10k and I think it's decent.

BUT... it's not a 'VERT!! Part of the lure of the funky one is that it is. Note that I'm NOT saying to buy it, just that that's the main attraction on Kauai or anywhere in the islands.

If you are bent on a Z-VERT, you may have to expand your search...

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/6057386446.html

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/ctd/6048614060.html

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/6066202125.html

...as examples. After doing all the back and forth fact finding with whatever ones you like, puddle jump it to HNL and have a look to do the deal. Be 80% sure of the car beforehand.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:17 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Guys remember he is in Hawaii...

We get milk for $3 where he gets it for $12...

I'm going to guess $11k ain't bad assuming everything has such a huge import tax there.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:17 PM
Kauai350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Geo location IS everything as has been mentioned. Here in Northern California, people are ASKING ridiculous prices for HR '07-8s. Average asking is a couple grand MORE and have more than twice the mileage! Check SF Bay craigslist if you think I'm exaggerating.

So its all relative. I would tend to think that an $11k Z ON KAUAI, likely (don't know for sure) where pickin's are relatively slim (grand total of two Zs in Kauai craigslist...), $11k asking isn't bad. Buy for $10k and I think it's decent.

BUT... it's not a 'VERT!! Part of the lure of the funky one is that it is. Note that I'm NOT saying to buy it, just that that's the main attraction on Kauai or anywhere in the islands.

If you are bent on a Z-VERT, you may have to expand your search...

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/6057386446.html

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/ctd/6048614060.html

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/6066202125.html

...as examples. After doing all the back and forth fact finding with whatever ones you like, puddle jump it to HNL and have a look to do the deal. Be 80% sure of the car beforehand.
Thank you so much for your input. You bring up a lot of valid points. I offered 13.5 OTD on the 08 Roadster with the dealer. I noticed it said it's the enthusiast model but it has things like leather and heated seats and what appears to be premium speakers and brembo calipers. Is that a typo on their end?

Would you rather take the 07 for 10k or the 08 for 13.5k?

I'll take pictures of the 07 tomorrow for you guys. The KBB on it is around 11k so I feel like it'd be hard to negotiate. Is the aftermarket headers/exhaust system without the proper sensors a big deal? Here in Hawaii we dont have emission but how much is that to fix?

Last edited by Kauai350Z; 03-31-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:45 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thank you so much for your input. You bring up a lot of valid points. I offered 13.5 OTD on the 08 Roadster with the dealer. I noticed it said it's the enthusiast model but it has things like leather and heated seats and what appears to be premium speakers and brembo calipers. Is that a typo on their end?

Would you rather take the 07 for 10k or the 08 for 13.5k?

I'll take pictures of the 07 tomorrow for you guys. The KBB on it is around 11k so I feel like it'd be hard to negotiate. Is the aftermarket headers/exhaust system without the proper sensors a big deal? Here in Hawaii we dont have emission but how much is that to fix?
Looking at that '08, my first thought, "Hmmmm, GT.... but someone stole the GT 18/19s...." Check of the VIN: Grand Touring.

But, it's possible that for certain markets, perhaps Hawaii Region, the GT wheels were not made available for one reason or another. Not out of the question. When I worked for Datsun/Nissan a lifetime ago, there were always exceptions to many rules.

Asking someone which is the right choice is like asking someone which woman (or man or whomever) is the right choice for someone. Only one person can make that decision. They both have reasonably low mileage but again, one is a coupe, one a Vert. You decide.

Don't know about the sensor issue. I don't mess with that stuff. But if it's an O2 sensor you're referring to, well, it's not just about smog compliance, it's about how the car runs OVERALL. The 02 sensors are perhaps the MOST KEY data feeds to the ECM and without their proper operation, performance/mileage will be shid.

Honestly, more I think about it, if the guy won't let you drive the car, I'd walk away. If some people honestly think their cars are such hot shid then why are they selling?? That's a load if I ever heard one. Jeebus, it's just a damm 350Z....

And when someone does such a hack job as to leave CELs on and to just drive it without fixing the issue. Ehhhhhhhhhhh..... cannot stand Mickey Mouse "mechanics"....

My apologies to Mickey Mouse.

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-01-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:48 AM
kauai1800

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha Everyone. Well this is a bit ironic as I bought the car mentioned above yesterday for $4500. (Note I'm a *different* noob on Kauai and not the thread starter.) It IS very rough cosmetically but that's kinda what I was looking for, a cheap fixer upper. It literally had algae growing in the reverse lights. I'm spending all day today detailing the car working on paint etc. I'll try and post some "after" pictures as I go along. The top will need replacement but underneath all the small problems I can see a decent 350z wanting to come out. What's funny is I was just looking to register for a 350z forum and the very first thread that pops up is this one!
Old 04-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Kauai350Z

Originally Posted by kauai1800
Aloha Everyone. Well this is a bit ironic as I bought the car mentioned above yesterday for $4500. (Note I'm a *different* noob on Kauai and not the thread starter.) It IS very rough cosmetically but that's kinda what I was looking for, a cheap fixer upper. It literally had algae growing in the reverse lights. I'm spending all day today detailing the car working on paint etc. I'll try and post some "after" pictures as I go along. The top will need replacement but underneath all the small problems I can see a decent 350z wanting to come out. What's funny is I was just looking to register for a 350z forum and the very first thread that pops up is this one!
I actually bought another one yesterday! Maybe we can meet up once you get yours fixed up? Where are you located? You have some serious cojones buying it but I do believe you can out enough money into to fix it up. I just told my girlfriend this and she told me to tell you that they were a few years between tune ups so I'd recommend DOING everything.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:18 PM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Lotta "Kauai" goin' on...congrats to you both...
Old 04-02-2017, 01:43 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Ok, this is twilight zone stuff ... Small world
Old 04-02-2017, 02:28 PM
kauai1800

Oh that's funny.

I live in Wailua Homesteads on East side. I saw you're in Kekaha. Maybe working at PMRF? Cool that we both got Zs on the same day. What did you score? Here or on Oahu?

This car was neglected but mechanicals seems ok. I drove it around for 30 minutes. I took a code reader and it was throwing a code P0302 which is a misfire error. Car runs and drives ok so I think it's something minor. Su the previous owner was a 70 yo sweetheart. It's true she didn't take care of it (I might not either when I'm 70 ;-) but it has a lot of potential and with only 65k miles car is still pretty low mileage for a 2004.
I already got the radio working and am working all day in just cleaning it up. Su lived way up in the mountains and so it's always wet up there.
So what's the main thing I'm cleaning up on the exterior? Something I bet not too many people deal with....ALGAE!! Lol. Yes there's algae in every body panel cut line..every light recess..every door handle etc.
Despite the tear in the roof the car isn't moldy and doesn't have water damage. It's just got algae on the outside and fine red Kauai dirt on the inside.
The car needs a lot of small things.. one motor on top (bow motor?) isn't working. I'll need to completely replace the top. It has crappy Chinese tires that need to go at some point. But as you'll see living here there's not many places to go fast, seldom over 60..so lots of speed parts don't really make a lot of sense here.

But driving up Kokee is a blast and yes let's definitely meet up and talk story. PM me or I will you if I can figure it out.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Kauai350Z

Default Update!

So I ended up purchasing the 42,000 mile Magnetic Black 2007 Enthusiast AT Coupe for $10.2k. It has after market headers, and after market exhaust tips, to my dismay it is not a true dual exhaust and has a semi annoying drone when going uphill in a low RPM.

But besides that? I love it to death. Already changed the oil, ended up using Catrol GTX 5-30 and a NAPA Silver filter. (Selections are limited here) Next up is changing the trans fluid, so I got 4 quarts of S-MATIC at $64, ouch!

Also, here is the mandatory pictures after a full detail, clay, polish, and ceramic wax!

ebay image hosting

Thank you guys for your help, I am going to post in the new car section. Because I got it at such a good price, I have a lot of play money on it as I was going to purchase a new Corvette so, it's easy for me to spend good money on it.

ALSO!!! kauai1800 and I met up to check out each others new Z's as theres probably only a handful on Kauai. We then proceeded to chase each other through windy mountain roads with some of the most scenic backdrops imaginable and he ended up showing me an awesome hike that had breathtaking views!

ebay image hosting

Already loving the 350z community!!

Last edited by Kauai350Z; 04-09-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:20 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Do the tranny filter also they're cheap. I would get more fluid and take back what you don't use. It depends on how much you can get out, If you drop the pan and and clean it out four might not do it.

Nice ride btw
Old 04-10-2017, 03:43 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

headers will add to the drone, may get worse if you change out to a true dual
Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

ALSO!!! kauai1800 and I met up to check out each others new Z's as theres probably only a handful on Kauai. We then proceeded to chase each other through windy mountain roads with some of the most scenic backdrops imaginable and he ended up showing me an awesome hike that had breathtaking views!

Already loving the 350z community!!

Wow, you live right on Hwy 50?? Driving thru Waimea when I was there, made the comment, "Man, if I lived here, this would be where I'd live...." about Hwy 50.

And that dense foliage shot.... Waimea Canyon or Na Pali area?

In Maui now just chillin'.

View from Mala's Ocean Tavern, our #1 go-to in town when I don't feel like cooking. (Like the entire first week here when we go get reacquainted with the restaurant owners and staff; then I settle in to cook good stuff sourced from the Farm Market for a week; then the final week back to the restaurants. Laff. )
Old 04-10-2017, 02:01 PM
kauai1800

Aloha Kauai350Z and everyone else,

Hawaii squad representing

Yeah that was a great ride and super nice to meet you. We should have gotten a photo of our cars together.

Yours is looking even better after all that waxing. Sweet.
Today I heard a 350z exhaust driving to work and saw a dark blue one with a single exhaust. It looked good. I'm estimating there must be 8-10 350Z on Kauai plus a few 370Z.

Shout out to MicVelo on Maui! Where do you take your car for service over there?
Old 04-10-2017, 04:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by kauai1800
Aloha Kauai350Z and everyone else,

Hawaii squad representing

Yeah that was a great ride and super nice to meet you. We should have gotten a photo of our cars together.

Yours is looking even better after all that waxing. Sweet.
Today I heard a 350z exhaust driving to work and saw a dark blue one with a single exhaust. It looked good. I'm estimating there must be 8-10 350Z on Kauai plus a few 370Z.

Shout out to MicVelo on Maui! Where do you take your car for service over there?

Well, truth be known, we got a rental this time. Our friends' (who co-own) our actual island car - a Honda) daughter didn't want to give up "her" car for a week so right now we're on their rental dime and will probably just sell out our half of the Honda. In theory it worked out great. Reality, well, how do you take away a 20 year old's car for a week when she needs it!?

The car is a few years old but still serviced at the dealer.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:18 PM
Kauai350Z

Originally Posted by travlee
headers will add to the drone, may get worse if you change out to a true dual
This is not what I want to hear. (literally)

How can I tell which headers are in the car without receipts? Also how do you fix drone on headers? My exhaust is like an imitation dual exhaust with 1 exhaust going straight out and the secondary exhaust connected through it in a U shape with a muffler in the middle.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:20 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Congrats all around. Glad you guys ended up with rides and projects you're happy with. Keep the Z's on the road and not in the salvage yards. That's what's important.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:55 AM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

This is not what I want to hear. (literally)

How can I tell which headers are in the car without receipts? Also how do you fix drone on headers? My exhaust is like an imitation dual exhaust with 1 exhaust going straight out and the secondary exhaust connected through it in a U shape with a muffler in the middle.
It's gonna be hard. You might be able to get a flashlight and try and see if they have a brand mark on them. It's so tight in the engine bay though, I don't know if you'll be able to see it. And if they're not marked, you may never know. Maybe look at the configuration of the runners if you can look from underneath the car and.narrow it down by comparing to pics on the net
Old 06-12-2017, 12:30 PM
kauai1800

Like all good massages, this has a HAPPY ENDING

Here's a picture of the car now (just two months later!) with a new top and lots of small things done to make it whole again. I'm really enjoying driving it - I've already put on 2500 miles since April and that's not easy on an island that only has one 58 mile-long highway...

What's been done:

New top
New black HID headlights
New HID ballast
Dipped wheels
Front lip spoiler
New seat covers
New gear shift **** and leather boot
3D printed rear diffuser
3D printed sun visor clips
Bose stereo fixed
Lots of vacuuming, waxing, claying, scrubbing, and washing.

I've done everything myself except the top install. Hell no! I've learned so much from this forum and although it's not as active as I'm sure it once was, it's a great resource, especially as more people like me get beat-up Z cars.

Next up is to fix the passenger door...
Attached Thumbnails About to buy a 2004 6MT 350z, looking for your guidance. (Hawaii)-small_z350_heiau.jpg  

Last edited by kauai1800; 06-12-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: add stuff
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (06-12-2017)