2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hatch will not lock closed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 04:08 AM
orlandomike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hatch will not lock closed.

2005 350z coupe.

I've seen comments on this issue before but mine is different. Someone, in some parking lot somewhere backed into me and drove away. The damage was to the plastic above the license plate. Not good not extensive at all, and not the end of the world.

It looked like nothing else was wrong. I popped the trunk and then when i went to close it, the inside mechanism that grabs the U metal bar, for lack of a better phrase, in the trunk lid, was all loose and would not latch. There was no spring to it, i could move all that side to side with a pen.

So doors wont lock, the hatch floats up and down etc etc.

The mechanism unlocked with my remote the first time, so I am guessing the actuator is ok?

What in that bump to the body could have happened? Did it possibly break plastic gears, bend a rod somewhere?

Anyone have any guesses?

Also any special tools or advise to take that apart?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:11 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Just unbolt the entire thing and get another one from a junk yard or ebay.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:23 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by orlandomike
Also any special tools or advise to take that apart?
It's super-easy to stretch the bolt on the latch mechanism if you over-tighten it to the frame. Follow the torque recommendations in the FSM or go with a better bolt. If you destroy the fastener, either replace the entire assembly or drill out the threads and put in a stouter bolt, lock washer and nut.

I ended up just replacing mine when I over-tightened the bolt during a simple adjustment. It was a bit expensive from the dealership, but I didn't like the idea of having a hacked up part back there.