Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know factory VLT window readings for tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone know factory VLT window readings for tint

I was hoping someone had there 350z metered before they had there windows tinted. My state like most has a 35% limit. I know most all manufacturers window VLT readings from a meter will read 74-82%. I'm a diy so I'm gonna tint my windows myself otherwise it wouldn't be an issue. Or if anyone knows what VLT window tint was used to achieve a legal 35%. I know in comparisons tint will say 35-40% but from manufacturer to manufacturer of that tint there could be +/- 5 on that number. I think minimum to pass is 32% and they give 3% difference. I know to achieve a 35% on any car would require 45-50% VLT tint if the factory reading was 75-76%. Those few percent are the pass or fail difference.

Sorry to ramble on but I live close to multiple counties in my area some of the jurisdictions are really strict with tint laws.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:23 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Does your state do inspection and check during inspection ?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Does your state do inspection and check during inspection ?
NY just changed the law to this starting this year. Not sure how I am going to get by with my 15% around and 50% windshield. Legal limit is 70% in NY lol. Good thing I know people.

OP, if this is not the case, I wouldn't worry about it. If this is the case, by any chance do you have any friends that work at a garage or a police officer? If you know somebody, have them put the meter on your stock windows and then go from there.

I have 15% and the 3 readings that cops have done on my windows read between 12-13%
Old 05-24-2017, 05:53 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

35% tint should get you above 32%.
20% gave me 18% on my z.
I had to remove my front windows and I just kept the rears at 20% since they cannot test it.
I haven't been pulled over for it and honestly I don't really mind not having the front tinted
Old 05-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Swaglife81

Thanks for the replies. Guess Nissan wasn't doing much of anything with dye to our glass at the plant. I don't have a visual inspection that I know of. It's more about how the police are here. Seems if someone has tint and they are pulled over for anything the cops automatically meter the windows. Our limit is 35% front, back, sides and non reflective. My interior is black also which can make tint look alot darker plus I wanted to use a 80% on the front like a Air 80. 70+ VLT isn't noticeable on a windshield depending on the other combinations and interior color. The local shops here are charging $300-$400 on a basic non premium tint job. Which to me is worth trying DIY. I have some experience years back so gonna go about. I guess with sheets of 35 VLT and hope it's not to dark. I'm at the edge of Georgia, if anyone knows that state they don't play games.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

35%? That's amazing, here the meter has to read 70, I got pulled over and metered at 07
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Swaglife81

Originally Posted by Theminatar
35%? That's amazing, here the meter has to read 70, I got pulled over and metered at 07
Every state is like completely different with their laws. My guess your NJ? I have a fine line to go by because I'm at the border of Georgia and live in TN. 5 miles from the state line and worked in GA for a while. GA has a 32% side window limit and nothing at all for the windshield but rear window and passenger back windows don't have a limit. There worried about the driver. Tennessee is straight 35% all around and a strip on the upper windshield or 70% windshield which I love that idea. A 80% to block some glare. GA will pull you over for tint with out of state tags. It's like a mini **** country to be honest.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
Every state is like completely different with their laws. My guess your NJ? I have a fine line to go by because I'm at the border of Georgia and live in TN. 5 miles from the state line and worked in GA for a while. GA has a 32% side window limit and nothing at all for the windshield but rear window and passenger back windows don't have a limit. There worried about the driver. Tennessee is straight 35% all around and a strip on the upper windshield or 70% windshield which I love that idea. A 80% to block some glare. GA will pull you over for tint with out of state tags. It's like a mini **** country to be honest.
Nah I'm from Iowa. They only allow 70 in the front, rears have no limits. And they're strict here. Most state troopers will make you peel it off in front of them.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 AM
RobVox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took some measurements with a light meter on my windows (stock, no applied tint) and got a VLT of 75%. The readings were not terribly consistent though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Swaglife81

Originally Posted by RobVox
I took some measurements with a light meter on my windows (stock, no applied tint) and got a VLT of 75%. The readings were not terribly consistent though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Thank you for this reply. I didn't see the notification so I figured my last reply was the last one. Your confirmation is exactly what I was looking for. Factory windows are 75% VLT. I think people not in the know think factory clear is 100% or close to it and they can slap on 35% and get 35% readings which is entirely false. I may just try a true 39-40% like Solargard 35 VLT. I have a brake issue that's resulted in a full brake overhaul so cosmetics are delayed a little