2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 05:36 AM
NissanTracker

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

my job takes up my schedule, but was able to finally throw some pictures. I'll start off with the latest B/S

Getting towed:

Blower ID

Cover: Apparently the oil splatter plate spun for a little bit. Notice the writing

The wave spring washers are normal to be sitting as they are. I pulled the cover off and they fell on top of the assembly. Issue is the splatter plate under the bearing. Bearing failed and splatter plate got chewed up by the gears.

Last edited by NissanTracker; 08-22-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:48 AM
NissanTracker

Here are photos of the plenum core charge. I filled it with water and let it sit... the leak is in the middle of the charge core. Pics show no actual physical damage. This is usually bolted into the plenum as one assembly. If you look at the table it was sitting on... after 2 hours there was a puddle. I used an electric pump to pressurize it and took a video... just need to upload that as well. I marked where the leak was in Green marker. This just proof that seller lied about installing it OR refused to disclose prior to the sale that the charge cooler needed replacement.

With the blower adding boost into the system, the core charge was also under pressure (6-7 psi). At the end of the dyno run, that pressure has no where to go but to be release when it went into vacuum. (like blowing into a caprisun).

Old 08-22-2017, 06:09 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Over 5500!? and it still doesn't work, damn...you're in MA too, I would of installed a new godspeed kit tuned for 4k in ONE weekend!

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 08-22-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

That sucks, had the same thing happen on 1200 worth of parts. Had to create a fake account and contact the guy like I was a "new" buyer. Then he got right back to me. Told him....GIVE ME MY MONEY....He literally said, you ain't getting sh## and hung up." Be careful of Paypal, you only have 45 days to report it as a fraud. This guy tagged me along for exactly 46 days and then dropped communication.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

^ What a shady piece of shitt. Can't trust no one.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 AM
iideadeyeii

When in doubt use a Amex card through Paypal. They will refund you.(did this by accident to fedex on a legitimate purchase and obviously had to pay them back when I realized my mistake)
Old 08-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Arrtus

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Posts like these make me want to not buy anything from anyone. :/
Old 08-22-2017, 06:36 PM
NissanTracker

Originally Posted by Arrtus
Well, I'm only expressing my experience with this one "transaction". I've been a member here since my first 03 track edition and always bought parts on this forum and never once ran into an issue. If one thing is for sure, the admins are pretty good at browsing the classifieds and making recommendations to sellers for clear and understandable ads... as well as warning buyers. A member did warn me a day after I already made the purchase.

What annoys me is the seller's continuous efforts to "restore" his credit. He purchased the kit in Feb/march of this year, installed it, tuned it, and apparently clocked some miles. Then "pulled it off" the Z and had it posted on the forum. I bought it in May, but i was in contact with said buyer in April. He also did not include the front heat exchange. The person he purchased it from, which i also contacted, did not have it available. Logically, if he was going to sell a kit that he installed, he would have included some replacement. Nope.

Not throwing the seller completely under a bus here. He did due diligence when it came to refunding me on a couple of items that arrived "damaged" and later agreeing on the shipping claim. The problem i have with this...the packaging was professionally done. Everything was bubble wrapped, reinforced, proper boxes to support weight, etc... Upon opening the boxes, items were damaged. For my sake, I "drank the cool-aid" just to make sure I was reimbursed. Fact of the matter is, those parts were already damaged when they were packed. Seller did add insurance and i'm confident that it would come in handy. Selling a massive kit with so many parts can confuse someone... maybe someone that is not competent in what a super charger kit entails or installing one. Odds were in the seller's favor that I may not have noticed or paid attention to detail. For cosmetic items, he reimbursed me. It was only later, since he did not actually even run this kit, that functionally, it was garbage.

Should have just bought a new kit....

To add.. no tune obviously came with it. I paid another 800 just to get it tuned.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 PM
NissanTracker

Originally Posted by Arrtus
I used my credit card attached to paypal. I immediately opened a case with my credit card company and paypal. Seller did pay for some parts that were missing and a damaged water pump. I agreed to a refund and canceled the claim against the seller with the credit card company. I also got in touch with a family member that is a lawyer and started preliminary steps since my motor almost got trashed.

It was only until last weekend where I picked up the Z on a friday, drove in traffic home, and parked it for a couple days. Went out when I had the time and while I had my son in the car, the high RPM bearing went. I wouldn't even say 50 miles were put on it.

I had my data logger on all day and tried to see what went wrong. When it failed, I was at a stop sign. Previous to that... about 15 minutes prior, I hit just 1 psi of boost. Earlier in the morning that day, I logged a max 2.5 psi. For the sake of my car, I was never going WOT...
Old 08-24-2017, 10:44 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Another reason I NEVER buy specialty high dollar sht second hand.

I'd rather buy that confidence it's new, in fckd and if something goes wrong it's just me my self and I.

Or just buy my kit from Sasha
Old 08-24-2017, 10:48 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Honestly if anything it looks like the seller probably did install this and crashed it.

Or bought a salvaged Z with this kit and flipped it as "working".

I've seen that a few times on auctions. People buying crashed turbod or SC cars. To later see on a forum the kit go on sale with some bogus story. So people have no dignity/self respect in the car world anymore.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:29 PM
NissanTracker

New Update:

Vortech opened it up and declared the charger garbage. They have to do a full rebuild (gears, turbine, all bearings). Cost was just a tad over $1,000 with shipping both ways included. Just waiting for it to come in the mail now

-------------------------------------------------------------
My email to Vortech:
----------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I'm curious as to why the gears need replacement. I inspected them visually and they seemed fine. Were they out of spec? In any case, I'll wait for the reply from accounting. I appreciate the help with this.

If anything comes up, please let me know,

Response

Yes, your input shaft keyway is damaged and is no longer square and although they are hard to see with a camera the teeth on the gears have a bunch of nicks from processing slinger material thru them.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:45 AM
iideadeyeii

Although you could probably could get away with not replacing the gears, but as a reputable company they won't do that because it's not the correct way to fix it properly and could lead to problems later on.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:12 PM
NissanTracker

I absolutely agree. I work with some mechanical engineers that also agree. I'm a software eng. so I usually question these things. At least some piece of mind.

In any case, i'm at the price of a brand new Stillen supercharger kit after this rebuild with an added front mount cooler and HKS BOV. Got screwed big time on this.

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Although you could probably could get away with not replacing the gears, but as a reputable company they won't do that because it's not the correct way to fix it properly and could lead to problems later on.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:29 PM
NissanTracker

Charger came back for Vortech. They have great communication over there. Jamie @vortech was helping me out during the process. I had to measure pulley sizes to make sure I was in spec with the bearings they installed.

I first hand spun the charger when it first arrived from the buyer and it was a bit notchy. I figured it was the gears. Upon receiving the rebuilt unit, free spin is smooth. So the conclusion was the charger was DOA when I got it. This will be my last post on this thread. I installed it and I am just waiting for some replacement TB gaskets to arrive and will go from there.

thanks for the space for venting

​​​​​​​-NT

Last edited by NissanTracker; 09-17-2017 at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Glad things are looking up for you. Keep us posted on your next thread on your numbers!