Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z won’t start after rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 06:28 AM
chrisz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z won’t start after rattle

I’m gonna copy and paste the text I sent to my friend. A little further knowledge is that the engine was already replaced , and we took the engine out of an Automatic 2004 G35. Aside from the fact I lost 3rd gear in my car , my 350 was running fine until this day. All I can smell when I try to start is fuel being dumped , and the exhaust wreaks of it ! Here’s the text .

Hey man , never got the chance to call but basically what happened was , the night before I texted you I went on break at work , and I went to go get food. I started the car and it made a slight rattling at low RPMs , higher RPMs it kind of went away. As I drove it ,while shifting and the clutch in , the RPM would drop much quicker than usual , so I had to blip the throttle a tad when upshifting. When coming to stop and the car in neutral , the car would stall out by itself. After that , the car would stall right after you start the car unless you kept the throttle open to keep it at 1 RPM . From the initial rattling , when I heard it , I checked the oil and that was fine , coolant was fine as well. As I was going home from work , it was slowing losing power , and the rattling got a little bit more intense . The car won’t start now , but it almost sounds like it’s trying to catch , but not quite. It sounds like it may be a timing issue , such as a broken tooth on the chain , or a messed up guide rail of some sort . I remember in my Honda, it did similar , but it had a timing belt , and it never made a rattle . It just lost power and made kind of a burp whenever you tried to start it . The reason I believe it’s not the same as last time is because it would start before. This time , it will not , which again is why I think it my be the timing chain. What do you think my man?

So I’m kind of hoping it’s timing , and not any typical VQ oil consumption problems, but like I said , the oil level was straight when I checked it . Thanks guys
Old 10-04-2017, 07:44 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome.. How many miles are on the engine? Is it throwing any codes?
Old 10-04-2017, 07:48 AM
chrisz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine has 70k miles on it , and the only code it threw before was both Oxygen sensors . It has a straight piped exhaust by the PO.