Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Rear Turn Signal LED Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 12:56 PM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Rear Turn Signal LED Upgrade Question

Hey folks, this view is with the rear tail/ brake light housing removed, looking down into the area behind the backup light/turn signal fixture:

That wiring socket looking thing with the wire loom leading to it sits between the turn signal and backup light sockets. It seems like it needs to be pulled off the mount so I can get enough slack to wire in the resistors but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it off.

In the BTR install video he just sort of yanks on the wiring and is able to pull enough slack to easily install them but it feels like I’m going to break something if I use more force.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:20 AM
TheeVirtuoso

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed new LED housings two weeks ago so I should be able to help. You're right that the socket will pull off that mount it's attached to. One of mine was being stubborn however so I just snapped it right off the plastic mount. Are you trying to do this install with the bumper still on? I can't imagine how you'd be able to do any work on the turn signals without removing the bumper.
The following users liked this post:
tmdz (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 10:35 AM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the reply! Its the little things like this that tend to drive me crazy.

Yeah there is definitely not much room. I'm not even a big guy and I can only get about the first 3" or so of my forearm down there.

This the guide I'm using:

But I don't love the idea of the resistor being so close to the wiring looms. I may just wait, pull the bumper off this winter and do the turn signals at the same time I do a backup cam.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:00 AM
TheeVirtuoso

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea IMO it's definitely going to be a lot easier just removing the bumper. I do have some anecdotal advice regarding your resistors though. I installed led turn signals up front without resistors and had been hyperflashing as expected. After I installed the leds in the rear too my hyperflashing has gone away which I hadn't expected.

Just something to consider but your results may vary. It seems like all the car cares about is seeing the same resistance at all 4 corners.