Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh New Paint, safety Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Li1ag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh New Paint, safety Tips?

I just got my car back from the shop last night that’s been painted since Wednesday. My personal rating is a Soft 7/10 by a local shop out here. But I wanted to take extra precaution to help the paint cure longer. Though they said it’s fine if rain hits it, I didn’t risk and covered up with a disposable cover until I can search for any comforting answers.. should I cover until a full 30 days as reading average forums? I know it’s saying by the type of paint job but I do not know any difference or particular process. I have a regular all weather car cover but this disposable one is clear for my thought of letting the sun and air flow through.. pics provided, any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Li1ag
I just got my car back from the shop last night that’s been painted since Wednesday. My personal rating is a Soft 7/10 by a local shop out here. But I wanted to take extra precaution to help the paint cure longer. Though they said it’s fine if rain hits it, I didn’t risk and covered up with a disposable cover until I can search for any comforting answers.. should I cover until a full 30 days as reading average forums? I know it’s saying by the type of paint job but I do not know any difference or particular process. I have a regular all weather car cover but this disposable one is clear for my thought of letting the sun and air flow through.. pics provided, any suggestions?[/left]
Condensation/moisture under plastic is bad for fresh paint (or any paint for that matter). The paint is as dry as it needs to be to withstand the elements. Unlike the old days of lacquer paint jobs (and the like), today's multi with clear coat is way resistant pretty much out of the booth.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Li1ag

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Condensation/moisture under plastic is bad for fresh paint (or any paint for that matter). The paint is as dry as it needs to be to withstand the elements. Unlike the old days of lacquer paint jobs (and the like), today's multi with clear coat is way resistant pretty much out of the booth.
thank you, that’s very informative, my other only issue is sap, i have trees with this issue, would covering be okay with a regular car cover or do I need to wait longer, being fresh?
Old 05-07-2018, 05:40 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

If they did a proper job you shouldn't have to worry about outside elements. Just make sure you wait at least 3 weeks before waxing the car. The paint needs to cure before wax is applied.

Do you have access to a garage? That would solve your sap issue.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:04 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ

Do you have access to a garage?
Like the one right in front of the car, haha
Old 05-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Li1ag

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Like the one right in front of the car, haha
Yeah unfortunately it’s not, Its a Photography studio. Looking into installing a car port on the side of our house
Old 05-22-2018, 08:06 PM
cougfan350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
If they did a proper job you shouldn't have to worry about outside elements. Just make sure you wait at least 3 weeks before waxing the car. The paint needs to cure before wax is applied.

Do you have access to a garage? That would solve your sap issue.
I’d call the shop about waxing it that soon. I’d always thought it was 30 days and you could wax it. But the shop that just sprayed mine recommended 90 days till waxing. 30 for automated car washes. He said you can hand wash right from the get go though with no problems.