Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Amp and speakers question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 11:21 PM
malheur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp and speakers question

Hello. i'm all new with everything now and saddly want to do many things with no knowledge.

so i bought used 2003 350z last month and i found some speakers doesn't work at all (left door woofer, right rear woofer, bose sub)

that problem with curiosity, i removed the head unit (not the factory one. it was 2007 pioneer avic-d3) and then putted a 12v mini amp. it was 2 channels amp so i only connected front speakers first. amp was tested with other 8ohm passive speakers.

but there's no sound at all, and i even tried other pair of 350z speakers or only 1 channel but no.

so i measured the speaker wire resistance with my multi-meter, and it was 316 ohm! i thought it's 3.16ohm or something. fr/fl/rr/rl all of them were 316~317 ohm.

how is this possible? do i something wrong?

Old 08-19-2018, 06:39 PM
d21x

Your 350z Bose System uses 2ohm speakers. Not sure why you're reading 316 ohm.

The Pioneer won't work with 2 ohm speakers. I doubt the amp will also work.

What I did was connect the aftermarket radio to PAC ROEM-NIS2. This fixed my problems and now my speakers and subwoofer works. If your subwoofer kicks in and out, you need to replace a relay. If you search youtube it will show you how. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:53 AM
malheur

Sorry for bothering. i figured out by doing tedious job.

so in center console wire was not directed to speaker units, it was hooked up to power amp unit hidden in the trunk. why i confused because my head unit was Pioneer AVIC-D3, which is inti amp(pre + power), and previous owner did hooked up with powered line to powered line. so it was wrong connection in the first place to track the wire.

i think many people already knew(then they didn't tell me for some reason i guess), but this is radio harness wiring diagram after 1995 nissan :

"B" amp turn on wire needs to connect with "G" +12v ignition wire for turn on the power amp.

and then hook 4ch speaker wire with pre amp(not the inte amp for sure) should work fine.

in my case, i want to use 12v mini amp which is inte amp, so i putted 10k ohm resistor each wire to reduce powered signal.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:56 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Your best bet is removing everything, replacing everything. Run new speaker wire to your new speakers. The entire bose system is junk.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:20 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by d21x

The Pioneer won't work with 2 ohm speakers. I doubt the amp will also work.
Of course it will.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:02 PM
ajpasa

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey,

The original BOSE system isn't really powerful, but it's ok, and not that hard to work with. The signal from the radio that you want is from the RCA channels. But then again, the BOSE amp likes 5V RCAs, or minimum 4V RCAs. If the Pioneer unit get's 2V, it's better to buy a PAC unit, for example, or this unit from Scosche to bring those voltages up.
Then what you want is a cable like this one. Make sure you connect the blue cable to the radio 12V remote (also blue, at least in most cases).

You were reading a high ohm because you were measuring the AMP unit input, not the actual speaker.
And yes, a head unit can drive 2 ohms speakers, but in your car, you would need to rewire the speaker to go straight from the head unit to the doors / back. Today the speaker cables run from the head unit to the amp, and from the amp to the doors/ back.
PM me with your e-mail if you want to have a copy of the AV service manual!

Br,
Al.