Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Talk me into Keeping a 15 year old Brickyard Touring

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:11 AM
AX8

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Update:

Suspended the replacement of the Z Activities.

Too much life left in this old Brickyard to let it go.

The Q50: while newer, luxurious, AWD, can carry more passengers, has sunroof, tech gadgets, it... As stated above... " Lacks Soul "

You see nothing but car Ads on TV, and I've gotten nothing new in 4 years, oh well, I'll get a new Skateboard or something to satisfy my need for something new.

Appreciate the Feedback from everyone ! Gonna Keep it longer.....

Last edited by AX8; 09-13-2018 at 02:50 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AX8:
khnitz (09-05-2018), MicVelo (09-05-2018), WYZIWYG (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

good for you.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:04 AM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

This was the right decision....good on you man...enjoy the hell out of the Z for......EVER.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:07 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Biased opinion aside (hardly, laff....), your Z, while needing this or that, is a solid car. I truly believe you'd miss it if you sold it. (Especially seeing all these Zs on CL and such that are just trash, ugggh.) To this day, I have NOT seen a Brickyard in my neck of the woods since I moved here 5 years ago and if I did, there'd be an immediate thumbs up!

Trust me, I still miss the Zs I parted with in 1982. Kind of explains the madness now.

Don't get me wrong, the Q50S may find a place in my garage one day as well. Those are the key words, "as well" as or "next to" my 33.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:01 AM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Smart move to this day I really miss my 77" 280Z I had no choice but to let him go, blown engine by no fault of my own let him run dry! I was young and would of Loved the opportunity to save him and rebuilt him but at the time had no space to store him I watched as he was towed away(sob)now I just have pictures to remind me of the good times we had together,he was my first entry into this world of Z-cars and at that point I couldn't never let it go without rekindling that same relationship with my 2006 Z33 with all the power invested in me death do we part !!!!

Last edited by bad boyz; 09-06-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:15 PM
818dbz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the same boat. Im gonna get a 4 door civic soon because I have 2 kids and starting to get knee pain from the stiff *** clutch. Ive drove other z's but mines is REALLY stiffer.

still contemplating on keeping or selling. I would need to fix the dings and repaint. Not sure if its a good idea to throw 3-5k in it.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has different demands and expectations from their car, so it's impossible to come up with an answer that suits everyone. If it's just getting from point A to point B, sell it and let someone else enjoy that beauty. If you want it to get you to work, AND you want to be able to enjoy the back roads and canyons on weekends, AND you want to be able to totally humiliate that kid in his ricer EVO or that stuffed suit in his 4-series 4-banger (LOL) Bimmer on the freeway on-ramp, well I think you know what you need to do. One thing I would recommend is actually drive your intended new(er) car for a couple of days and see how you like it. A few minutes in a test drive just isn't enough time to tell how the car "fits" the driver. You can rent most models on Turo and it's not that expensive.

Whatever you decide and whatever you end up driving, my advice is this: Take good care of your car. Don't skimp on maintenance or minor or even cosmetic issues that can easily be fixed. The cost is usually minuscule compared to a new car's depreciation. You do that and you car will always be your loyal servant and she will offer you countless hours, days and years of pure driving pleasure.

I too am in my 50's and I sold my track PPW about 8 years ago, thinking something newer & better would eventually come along. Well, nothing "better" ever did come out, not from Nissan nor anyone else in my opinion, and I've regretted the decision to sell it ever since. Honestly, tell me how may cars can you name that come, out of the factory, with Aluminum sheet metal, carbon fiber drive shaft, Aluminum suspension parts, Brembo brakes, super light forged 18" Rays, rock solid manual gearbox, NA engine, etc. About a dozen maybe? OK, now how many of those are also extremely reliable, very affordable and cheap to maintain and insure? Yeah, not many - or none.

I can't replace my Z now, but I've been eyeing an NA 991.1 C2S or a 991.1 GT3 or 997 GT3 or possibly an M2 for the past few months, and I can afford anything up to low 100's, but honestly nothing I've driven so far compares to or impresses me as much as my old Z did, plus I can't daily drive them, except maybe the M2.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:47 AM
AX8

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Everything stated above is pure Wisdom. Totally Agree about the extended multi day Test Drive before purchase concept !

The Fun Factor I get for 35 to 45 minutes each way before & after work, and for 20 to 40 minutes on the lunch break far outweighs any little annoyances of driving a 15 year old Z that just turned 90,000 miles yesterday.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's time they took to give their opinions and share their experiences.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:17 AM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you think that way. I would add that at 90,000, your Z is just breaking into her prime. I think if you have it professionally detailed, inside and out, remove that damn orange peel from both bumpers, polish and ceramic coat the whole car, add a nice set of wheels and maybe a head unit and and a proper exhaust. How much would all of that add up to? A couple thousand? Peanuts, I say. You do that and I think not only it will turn heads anywhere you take her, but every morning as you open up the garage door or walk up to it you won't bale to hold back a wide grin

Boss been grumpy and customers been giving you a hard time all day? Wait til 5:00p and grab the Z's keys. Wife been nagging you all day? Grab the keys. North Korea about to drop the big one on us? Get the keys.

I sold mine at 128k. The car had not one squeak or rattle, not one drop of oil leak, not a single minor or major issue during that whole time, except the gearbox which was replaced (twice) under warranty, but it was a first-generation car and it was expected. Have a look at my album. Most of those pics were taken just before I sold her.