2008 fairlady Z - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2008 fairlady Z

Reply

 
 
 
Old 10-30-2018, 03:06 PM
  #1  
350zAreLyf3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wellington
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2008 fairlady Z

I'm looking at buying a 2008 Nissan fairlady z which is in the brickyard colour. But I am a little confused because the vq35hr came out in the models 2007+ but my one only has one Intake where the HR has two? So would it be a mix-up and the dealership put the wrong details in? Thanks
350zAreLyf3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:48 PM
  #2  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,545
Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,324 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 350zAreLyf3 View Post
I'm looking at buying a 2008 Nissan fairlady z which is in the brickyard colour. But I am a little confused because the vq35hr came out in the models 2007+ but my one only has one Intake where the HR has two? So would it be a mix-up and the dealership put the wrong details in? Thanks
Sounds like all kinda whack going on there. Brickyard is a one year only color. 2003. (Interlagos Fire can and is confused with it at times.) And yes, HR engines are dual intake so if its not there, it's not an HR.
MicVelo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:09 PM
  #3  
350zAreLyf3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wellington
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
Sounds like all kinda whack going on there. Brickyard is a one year only color. 2003. (Interlagos Fire can and is confused with it at times.) And yes, HR engines are dual intake so if its not there, it's not an HR.
OK It might be a different colour because they have listed it as purple I just though it was brickyard. It's weird too since its not an HR which sucks. Is there really any difference between the HR and de except for the horsepower? And if so is there still a point on buying the car?

Last edited by 350zAreLyf3; 10-30-2018 at 04:10 PM.
350zAreLyf3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 PM
  #4  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,545
Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,324 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 350zAreLyf3 View Post
OK It might be a different colour because they have listed it as purple I just though it was brickyard. It's weird too since its not an HR which sucks. Is there really any difference between the HR and de except for the horsepower? And if so is there still a point on buying the car?
OK, opening can of worms..... HR is a "better motor". Period. BUT do not let that deter you from a solidly maintained DE. There is nothing "wrong" with the DE motor. The HR is "better" in terms of it being a better breather due to dual intake, re-designed top end, variable valve timing on BOTH sides, and hence, more power up to a higher redline. And well it better be....it's evolved and its newer just like the VHR is the evolved version of the HR. Always something newer and better.

And don't believe all that you might read on facebook and other places where its been said "HR is the only motor to get".... all hype from hypnotized people who believe all the hype. And don't be one of those guys who puts "HR" anywhere on the car like a badge of distinction because that's just asking someone with a DE to spank you.

Bottom line: if you can find a nice HR car for your budget, go for it. If you find a clean DE don't hesitate after having the whole car inspected.

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-30-2018 at 04:21 PM.
MicVelo is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MicVelo For This Useful Post:
bad boyz (11-09-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 04:27 PM
  #5  
350zAreLyf3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wellington
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
OK, opening can of worms..... HR is a "better motor". Period. BUT do not let that deter you from a solidly maintained DE. There is nothing "wrong" with the DE motor. The HR is "better" in terms of it being a better breather due to dual intake, re-designed top end, variable valve timing on BOTH sides, and hence, more power up to a higher redline. And well it better be....it's evolved and its newer just like the VHR is the evolved version of the HR. Always something newer and better.

And don't believe all that you might read on facebook and other places where its been said "HR is the only motor to get".... all hype from hypnotized people who believe all the hype. And don't be one of those guys who puts "HR" anywhere on the car like a badge of distinction because that's just asking someone with a DE to spank you.

Bottom line: if you can find a nice HR car for your budget, go for it. If you find a clean DE don't hesitate after having the whole car inspected.
thanks for all that and I totally agree I've been doing research alot over the last couple of days but wanted some advice from other people who know their stuff. Just trying to confirm the engine and all the specs about the engine. I've just heard alot that the DE have some bad issues with using alot of oil and sometime the synchros wear out quit fast and I feel the same about people who but their engine make all over the car it's ridiculous
350zAreLyf3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:30 PM
  #6  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,545
Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,324 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 350zAreLyf3 View Post
thanks for all that and I totally agree I've been doing research alot over the last couple of days but wanted some advice from other people who know their stuff. Just trying to confirm the engine and all the specs about the engine. I've just heard alot that the DE have some bad issues with using alot of oil and sometime the synchros wear out quit fast and I feel the same about people who but their engine make all over the car it's ridiculous
Well, don't ignore those "issues" because they do exist. Mainly '06 engines with the oil consumption and early '03-04.5 transmissions with the bad synchros. But they can all have some of those issues; just depends on the owner and the service records they have (or don't have).
MicVelo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:35 PM
  #7  
liven Z life
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: queensbury NY
Posts: 391
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Why donít you show us the link to the car we can clear it up probably
liven Z life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:47 PM
  #8  
350zAreLyf3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wellington
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

...

Last edited by 350zAreLyf3; 10-30-2018 at 05:18 PM.
350zAreLyf3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:18 PM
  #9  
350zAreLyf3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wellington
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by liven Z life View Post
Why donít you show us the link to the car we can clear it up probably
http://www.northcc.co.nz/cars-for-sale?id=33&sn=3209

here's the link to the car
350zAreLyf3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:55 PM
  #10  
KornerCarver
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
KornerCarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 3,318
Thanked 67 Times in 36 Posts
Default

It looks like you are in New Zealand. There isn't a lot we in the USA can tell you about cars in that part of the world. Nissan made many different models for different markets. That car could very well be a 2008 with a VQ motor in it. I am totally unfamiliar with the versions sold in New Zealand.
KornerCarver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:37 PM
  #11  
Chihuahuamaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 18
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I'm thinking it's a 2006 model, due to the HID headlights that did not come on models 2003-2005. Also the hood is not an 2007/2008 model year hood. But I would not think Nissan would sell an 'outdated' version of the car in 2008 with an older engine, etc... even if it was for a different country.

With that being said, it does look like a clean car. I'm not familiar with the market in NZ, however, in the U.S. the car would be overpriced at its current list price, due to the mileage.
Chihuahuamaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:21 PM
  #12  
Gadget
Registered User
 
Gadget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 99
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

I couldn't find anything comparing US market to NZ market but in the states an 08 has a bulg in the hood and dual intakes for a major give away. I have a feeling this is a DE Rev up based on the center console layout (hazard light placement & console design) the non Rev up DE's have a different center console than the rev ups and HR. Regardless $13,000 for that many miles is not a good deal regardless of how clean it looks. And if it is a 06 (DE Rev Up) I can confirm they burn oil like a S. O. B.. Be prepared to check your oil every week, or daily if you beat it. Glws
Gadget is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:36 AM
  #13  
SonnyWu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 82
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Actually it is $8512.31 US dollars. I paid $9,500 for my 2005 350Z 3 years ago with 3,100 miles on it. This car from the photos reminds me of my Z. Very clean and possibly very well maintained. However I did buy mine directly from the owner who is my neighbor, so I knew the history of the car. Pray on it and get it inspected. It might end of being a really good buy. And of course get the price down if you can.

"If your car don't turn you on when you turn it on, get another one." Does this car turn you on? LOL
SonnyWu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:19 AM
  #14  
Freise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I too would assume that is a 2006, and assume it is being misrepresented as a 2008. See if you can get the VIN that would tell us the truth.
Freise is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:10 AM
  #15  
Heel Til I Die
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 671
Thanked 141 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Looks like an '06 rev-up. Redline is at 7000 rpms. 03-06 hood. 06-08 bi-xenon headlights.
Heel Til I Die is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:22 AM
  #16  
bealljk
Registered User
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: col
Posts: 3,521
Thanked 316 Times in 272 Posts
Default

Id second the '06 rev-up...looks like the engine has exhaust timing components.
bealljk is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:10 AM
  #17  
350zAreLyf3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wellington
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Buy it?

So now that is all cleared up do you guys think it's worth buying or do I wait a little longer and try find a HR model??
350zAreLyf3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:34 AM
  #18  
Heel Til I Die
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 671
Thanked 141 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 350zAreLyf3 View Post
So now that is all cleared up do you guys think it's worth buying or do I wait a little longer and try find a HR model??
Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
Bottom line: if you can find a nice HR car for your budget, go for it. If you find a clean DE don't hesitate after having the whole car inspected.
Mic's advice is solid. At the end of the day, only you can make the decision to buy or walk away...
Heel Til I Die is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:34 AM
  #19  
bad boyz
Registered User
 
bad boyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nashville,Tn.
Posts: 280
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I would most definitely say a 2006 DE looks like they added clear reflectors in the front bumper and aftermarket wing might be the track addition because of the oem Brembo's and forged wheels.
bad boyz is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
JDMZ33
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
18
03-03-2008 10:21 PM
NissanSportSara
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
10
12-22-2007 12:51 PM
Ricky
Media Share
12
12-16-2002 02:18 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 fairlady Z


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: