Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Flip up plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
Of course he is. Well, luckily for you, it won't be much more than a moving violation. This would be pushing the envelope under the statute, but I'm sure you'd give plenty of other reasons to be stopped and cited, judging by the video sourced by Detective Travlee. Even if challenged in court and thrown out, who cares, you'd have to take time out of your day and I'd be getting overtime. Just the inconvenience on your part would be worth it.

320.061 Unlawful to alter motor vehicle registration certificates, license plates, temporary license plates, mobile home stickers, or validation stickers or to obscure license plates; penalty.

—A person may not alter the original appearance of a vehicle registration certificate, license plate, temporary license plate, mobile home sticker, or validation sticker issued for and assigned to a motor vehicle or mobile home, whether by mutilation, alteration, defacement, or change of color or in any other manner. A person may not apply or attach a substance, reflective matter, illuminated device, spray, coating, covering, or other material onto or around any license plate which interferes with the legibility, angular visibility, or detectability of any feature or detail on the license plate or interferes with the ability to record any feature or detail on the license plate. A person who violates this section commits a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.
You're right about LEO's in MD being super stringent about this. I had one pull me over and try and cite me for me alumni tag on the rear plate. Which clearly made zero sense since you can see the tag number and my registration stickers from any distance. I can only imagine trying to explain to a cop why I flipped my plate up while he was behind me.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:28 AM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
You're right about LEO's in MD being super stringent about this. I had one pull me over and try and cite me for me alumni tag on the rear plate. Which clearly made zero sense since you can see the tag number and my registration stickers from any distance. I can only imagine trying to explain to a cop why I flipped my plate up while he was behind me.
It comes down to the individual LEO. You will most likely not be bothered here in Florida if they can clearly see every number and letter of your plate as well as the state. The statute mentions the covering of the sticker also, but isnt as big of a deal since the expiration will come back when we run your tag. We need the numbers/letters and the state to run that tag. You're probably going to be cited if I have to tell my dispatch to hold on while I find out what state you're from. Reason being, aside from pulling at your frame to see the state, I would have to walk up to your window and either ask for it or get it off your registration paper. If you shoot at me during that time, dispatch has a much more difficult time finding the vehicle. Sounds like "infringing on your rights" to the average person, but it's officer safety for us.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:37 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

well if the video is the op... he isnt very smart on public streets

Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee

https://youtu.be/oNZ0ifvhd4c
We really are living in the "Idiocracy" times.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:40 AM
Andrew Karam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Well duh, so why are you asking if I know the name of it then? It’s a license plate flipper upper thingamabob.

So, you decided to keep the hard starting drifter Z instead of trading your show car in for a “real” Initial D car OR that restored AE86? Good choice.
Decided to keep it indeed, 86 had an auto transmission
Old 06-17-2019, 07:49 AM
Andrew Karam

Originally Posted by travlee

https://youtu.be/oNZ0ifvhd4c
Your right, it’s wrong to do it and endangers public safety but we all know we have done something illegal while driving a car, wether it’s soeeding or reckless driving, all I wanted to know was what the flip up plate thing is called as I can only see it in japanese videos, again, I’m not trying to give you guys an excuse, but this isn’t what the thread was about, I legit want to take my 350z to drift events and car events, and the plate thing is actually for shows as it looks very cool and it’s only seen in Japanese car shows, thank you all for the input tho, I really got to understand a little bit more of the law today
Old 06-17-2019, 02:19 PM
813_350Z

Originally Posted by Andrew Karam
Your right, it’s wrong to do it and endangers public safety but we all know we have done something illegal while driving a car, wether it’s soeeding or reckless driving, all I wanted to know was what the flip up plate thing is called as I can only see it in japanese videos, again, I’m not trying to give you guys an excuse, but this isn’t what the thread was about, I legit want to take my 350z to drift events and car events, and the plate thing is actually for shows as it looks very cool and it’s only seen in Japanese car shows, thank you all for the input tho, I really got to understand a little bit more of the law today
You're right. I would be lying to say I've never sped or broke tires loose in a car, but I did it on backroads away from others who could have been seriously injured or killed because of my foolishness, and you will never find any proof of me doing it on YouTube or anywhere on the internet for that matter.

When you've seen the effects that wrapping a car around a pole has on the human body, you realize how stupid and dangerous it really is.

Is the plate flipper cool? Sure. Does it belong on a car? Absolutely not. Seeing as how you like to race and show off for your friends on public streets, it's only going to be too tempting to flip your plate down while doing so. That way, no one can get your plate number while you're doing it and call it in, or God-forbid, get your plate when you wreck and destroy property and try to run. I'm not trying to be an a** I'm just telling what I've dealt with in the past. You're asking for trouble just having something like that.

But since this is your car, and your consequences for misuse, just a simple Google search will yield the results you seek.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...ipper+for+sale
Old 06-17-2019, 03:29 PM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

This looks like a license plate holder frame with a couple springs flipped. The springs return the plate to vertical once released so unless you can fab something up you may have to modify one - There were tons of 70’s vehicle that came with them as access to the gas tank.

It think its called a fold down license plate holder or spring loaded license plate holder.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Pics of said Z.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 PM
813_350Z

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Pics of said Z.
It's a brZ Haha. See video above ^^^
Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 PM
Andrew Karam

You're right. I would be lying to say I've never sped or broke tires loose in a car, but I did it on backroads away from others who could have been seriously injured or killed because of my foolishness, and you will never find any proof of me doing it on YouTube or anywhere on the internet for that matter.

When you've seen the effects that wrapping a car around a pole has on the human body, you realize how stupid and dangerous it really is.

Is the plate flipper cool? Sure. Does it belong on a car? Absolutely not. Seeing as how you like to race and show off for your friends on public streets, it's only going to be too tempting to flip your plate down while doing so. That way, no one can get your plate number while you're doing it and call it in, or God-forbid, get your plate when you wreck and destroy property and try to run. I'm not trying to be an a** I'm just telling what I've dealt with in the past. You're asking for trouble just having something like that.

But since this is your car, and your consequences for misuse, just a simple Google search will yield the results you seek.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...ipper+for+sale
Thanks for the advice brother, you definitely made me re think all this street drifting thing, really, big thank you
Old 06-17-2019, 09:13 PM
813_350Z

Originally Posted by Andrew Karam
Thanks for the advice brother, you definitely made me re think all this street drifting thing, really, big thank you
You're welcome. Hopefully that is genuine and not sarcasm.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

It's a brZ Haha. See video above ^^^
I had thought this was a 350z forum.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...tock-ae86.html

Last edited by mr. sparco; 06-17-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 AM
Andrew Karam

You're welcome. Hopefully that is genuine and not sarcasm.
Not at all my guy
Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 AM
Andrew Karam

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
I had thought this was a 350z forum.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...tock-ae86.html
I do also own a 350z, I bought it with the purpose of making it a drift car
Old 06-18-2019, 08:17 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM