Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Engine replacement, car cranks but won’t start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 07:23 PM
Jos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine replacement, car cranks but won’t start.

So because of the rona I’ve been outta work for like over a month now and I decided to take this chance to fix my Z. I replaced my engine with a jdm de (I have an 03), but I’m having starting issues. The car cranks but the motor won’t turn over and I’m not sure why. I checked all of my plugs, put in new spark plugs and used both my old coils and the coils that were on the engine and it just cranks but there’s no spark :/. I also bought a brand new crankshaft sensor, because I broke both of my old ones lifting the engines lol smh. I’m almost certain that my flywheel is correctly aligned. I also checked my fuel pump fuse and it’s looks good.
my bad I’m kinda demanding help here but idk what to do, if anyone knows if there’s like some secret lever I pull and magic happens I’d appreciate it a lot.
also, I’m not 100% sure if I put my grounds back correctly because I couldn’t find a picture with all the grounds so if any of y’all could show me where your grounds go Id appreciate that big time.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:30 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,128 Likes on 6,581 Posts

do you hear the fuel pump priming? double check the grounds and all connections. is the engine from the same year?
Old 05-20-2020, 12:52 PM
Jos

Originally Posted by travlee
do you hear the fuel pump priming? double check the grounds and all connections. is the engine from the same year?
I do hear the fuel pump prime and I can also smell the fuel in the engine bay. Ima include pictures of where I’ve put my grounds I’m not sure if my coil ground is ripped but I coulda sworn it was like that before.
its a Japanese engine, I’m not sure if it’s the same year but as far as I can tell it’s the exact same engine. The only thing I had to replace on the Japanese engine was the ac compressor, alternator, and power steering pump but everything else was the same.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:26 AM
THIRZTY

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Cam sensors, crank sensor and flywheel position. Check the connectors make sure they are connected and not damaged. You could also try swapping in the sensors from the old engine. It sucks... but after that pull the trans and check the flywheel is aligned on the crank properly. I had a no start issue after my engine replacement... my cam sensors were mixed up, mine's a revup so it has 4 vs yours which has 2. Talked another guy through this recently and he had damaged connectors on the donor engine harness.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:43 PM
Jos

Originally Posted by THIRZTY
Cam sensors, crank sensor and flywheel position. Check the connectors make sure they are connected and not damaged. You could also try swapping in the sensors from the old engine. It sucks... but after that pull the trans and check the flywheel is aligned on the crank properly. I had a no start issue after my engine replacement... my cam sensors were mixed up, mine's a revup so it has 4 vs yours which has 2. Talked another guy through this recently and he had damaged connectors on the donor engine harness.
I replaced both of the cam sensors and the crank sensor with new ones. I’m gonna pull the harness, I’ve got a feeling that it might be damaged. Ik forsure that my flywheel is correctly aligned tho because it had a hole for the dowel pin on the crank.