Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Aftermarket exhaust hanger failed in less than 2k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 10:08 AM
khnitz

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust hanger failed in less than 2k miles

I replaced the entire exhaust system from my manifolds and back this past spring, using low-mileage take-off parts (cats, Y-pipe, mid-pipe and rear muffler). I used new Ansa exhaust hangers with the system, and I hung everything in place with the bolts loosely fastened until I could line everything up and then tightened all the joints down.

In less than 2k miles, the Ansa HW8113 hanger on the left rear corner failed. Luckily, this past weekend I had grabbed exhaust hanger brackets and hangers off an OEM system in a Z that was being parted out that were in excellent shape. I replaced all the hangers today with the OEM take-off hangers and have set everything properly back into position..

Here are some pictures of the failed hanger, compared to the OEM hanger. The OEM hanger is definitely more substantial.
Aftermarket exhaust hanger failed in less than 2k miles-74zkous.jpg

Aftermarket exhaust hanger failed in less than 2k miles-7uvytsm.jpg

So, from my experience it would be well worth to use the OEM hangers. Others may have had better experience with other aftermarket brands, but I was really surprised to see this Ansa part fail so quickly.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:04 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

My original hangers on my 06 350Z with 106k miles on it are still in perfect working condition. These things are built tough! I just recently removed my exhaust system from the vehicle and the rubber is still very pliable without any signs of dry rot or cracking (I honestly had a bear of a time getting the rear hangers off, even with some silicone spray lube). My Z has been a CA car all it's life, I'm sure that helps, those in the rust belt will most likely have different experiences. But I've never seen any posts on here about failed OEM exhaust hangers.
-Icer
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (09-02-2020)