Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Z is TOTALLED.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 05:35 PM
NY 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo know this is wierd...i drove my Z to school today (queens) from long island...it was snowing and honestly i wouldve gotten into an accident atleast 2 times. this was on the grand central (typical NY driving) im used to it but i actually thought to myself what i would do if somethign had happened, and i think i should keep those thoughts to myself. what was going through your head after everything happened.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:40 PM
MrNicholas

I'll second 35oZephyR: Holy ****! I'm impressed that you survived unscathed!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:50 PM
pimp1911

Glad you are okay. Last year one of the members of the Goodie Mob lost a leg hitting a guard rail after the rail came through the car. And that car is totaled. So fight it if your insurance company trips.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:52 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Yeah with that hit the car is totaled. Glad you are OK, very lucky.

It looks like yo have a very effective CAI now
Old 02-24-2004, 05:56 PM
syf0n

Hey guys,

thanks for the support with the "car is totalled" arguement. I'd like to hear as many opinions about that as possible. I am trying not to be too optimistic in the event that they do decide to (TRY TO) screw me over.

As far as another car is concerned, I am hoping to get another Z but I may test drive some others. In the event that insurance totals it they will really be paying out as there is a clause in my policy saying that they do not even deduct for depreciation. Which means I will get 34k or 35k.

At that point I will be looking for low prices on Enthusiast model coupes and convertibles. I used to have a touring but I want to try for a lower model and maybe some aftermarket options.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:15 PM
EL Diablo

Oh Man sorry to hear this, glad your ok

my recent fender bender was a scratch compared to your accident. my damage was estimated in the thousands for the small amount done.
Your car is totalled. it would cost a fortune to fix it.
Time to get an new Z.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:23 PM
meeno

Someone on the bimmerforums totaled his EVO, and it barely looked as damaged as yours:

yours is TOTALLED man, no chance...

the lady probably thinks your car cost $70K (even then it would eb hard not to total it)

Either way, be thankful you still are in one piece...

Last edited by meeno; 02-24-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:26 PM
stockae92

glad that you are ok!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:29 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your're ok. Excellent thinking about hitting head on instead of side ways.

Fight your insurance company till the end. There's no way that they can say that this is not totalled. If so, I would very much like to see their justification. Just to fix the engine, body frame, suspension/wheels amounts to almost the original cost of the car!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

isnt there a rule if the airbags go then its totalled?

if that insurance lady DOESNT total your car, i would fight it.. that is completely gone- damn. did they find that dude that braked?

g35C stickshift with no options is around 35k out the door- and you get the track brakes!!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:33 PM
35oZephyR

Your car is totalled bro... I can understand someone trying to fix that type of damage on an Enzo but the cost to get this car back to tip top shape will far exceed what the insurance company is expecting.

Lord knows what things got knocked out of wack in that car. Aside from the guardrail eating up your motor there maybe some structural damage and skewed allignment done to the chasis too. The reliability issue for having this car completely restored will be ridiculous.

I see it like an infant baby getting shook by a bad babysitter. Theres some major brain damage and your baby won't be the same.

Even though you're blessed with plenty of it...Good luck on the whole post-accident situation.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:42 PM
350ZMatt

Hey Syfon,

Really glad you are ok man. I hate to see us veterans of this board part with their z's. either by choice or chance. Looks like the z really saved your ***.

As for the car it is 100% totalled. If not give the bodyshop a call where the car is at. if it is close to being totaled then just pay the shop owner some cash to finish the job. If it means a rear wheel or cracking an axle, at least you get a new car.

Better luck with your next ride!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:45 PM
erock

Man, good thing you're alright.... Sorry it had to happen to you.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:13 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Glad to hear that you are fine and that you are still posting here (another member here recently wasn't so lucky... ).

It's also good to see that the guard rail didn't impale your car like some pics that were on this board a couple months ago (with a Civic hatch). Walking away from that is one of the best feelings in the world (despite seeing the damage to your baby).
Old 02-24-2004, 07:28 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Chebosto
isnt there a rule if the airbags go then its totalled?
Don't think so, but generally if you have two air bags go off, the cost of replacement of all the associated systems is high enough that it the car will be totalled. Airbags aren't cheap to replace.

Sorry to hear about the car. I've hydroplanned at highway speed before (about 70 mph on fresh oily asphault), and it is a scary experience. Luckily, when I spun I just ended up glancing off the barrier on both ends of the car instead of taking a direct hit. Mine could have been much worse but I was lucky.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:30 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firstly, I'm really glad to hear that you are ok after an impact like that. That looks pretty severe.

I would imagine that they will have to rule your car a write off. IIRC, in the state of VA, any car that is evaluated to be more than 50% damaged in an accident MUST be issued a SALVAGE title, and thus an insurance company will write it off as a complete loss. Looking at your car, from a mechanical and structural standpoint, you've clearly crossed the 50% threshold.

I sincerely hope it works out in your favor. Please keep us posted.

One last thought, you might consider seeing a Dr. for a good checkup even though you feel unharmed. Whiplash symptoms often take time to set in, and if you don't get evaluated shortly after the accident, it may become harder to associate any problems with the accident. Maybe someone else can chime in on this, just tryin' to help....

Stay safe....
Old 02-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Sahhe

Did they catch that *sshole? Good that your ok, car looks really totalled. Just dont put your money in to lottery, think you use all lucky you had..
Old 02-24-2004, 08:10 PM
syf0n

I have always been lucky like this regarding car accidents and other things. Never broken a bone in my life.

I do have some onset whiplash I am in the process of recieving treatment for. I really appreciate all the concern you guys have, it is nice to see community members helping me out in time of need.

I will keep you all posted on the results of the insurance estimate process, and I will post up some additional photos of the car damage as well. FYI Both the front airbags went off.

The only thing I am worried about is that the silly woman at the insurance company said something ludicrous like that they would try to repair up to 80% of the vehicle damage, even frame damage. I was thinking, "what the hell???" that sounded kind of fishy to me...although I am in Georgia this accident all happened in Florida.

As for the guy who did it, they never caught him...
Old 02-24-2004, 08:31 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

The car has to be totaled. any other answer from your insurance means you need an attorney but I'll bet they total it.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:00 PM
K.G

I am glad you're Okay
hope to see you get back here with another new Z

Quick Reply: My Z is TOTALLED.