Legacy406

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,660 Posts

How old are you?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:02 AM
Lethal_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
Doesn't take much to get under your skin does it
Not even under my skin, just really don't see a point in commenting useless information
Old 03-02-2021, 10:11 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Legacy406
How old are you?
21 according to his profile, nothing will come of this ....
Old 03-02-2021, 10:29 AM
Lethal_350z

21 according to his profile, nothing will come of this ....
Bet man. I'll see you in a couple years if you're still here
Old 03-02-2021, 10:30 AM
Lethal_350z

Originally Posted by Legacy406
How old are you?
Looks like you really did your research on that one
Old 03-02-2021, 10:40 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Lethal_350z
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, I plan on buying a 2007 350z in a year or so. I am creating this thread to hear ideas/suggestions that will help me build a beast on the track yet keep it looking sleeper looking and street legal, producing around 600 to 800 horsepower. I have a budget of around $30,000 USD all in.

Ideally I would like to modify the vehicle most with stuff under the hood, as well as handling and brakes. Looking for parts and the best brands I have no idea how or where to start which is why I am making this thread. Looking for advice, I'd appreciate any comments you decide to leave.

If this post blows up I will keep you posted from beginning to finish!
emphasis on the bold and red sections..... you may have the car in 2 years, but that will be about it
Old 03-02-2021, 12:34 PM
oldfreakingguy

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not sure about the op- I wish him well.
FRIEISE's $50k vs $20 K choice was really entertaining.
The following users liked this post:
Freise (03-07-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 01:06 PM
PeterPotatoes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy, find a pre-built 350z street/race car just under 30k. People have sold some pretty amazing Zs for that price. Of course you already have a reliable daily, if not, that should be your first step.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:17 PM
ntwillie1

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

That is true, but that show is entertaining and those guys are funny.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:26 PM
ntwillie1

OP, not sure about Canada, but in USA, or at least NJ where I am from, you can probably be street legal w most full bolt-on mods as long as you keep your cats. Beyond that, street legal goes out the window. If you want to achieve a car with that type of horsepower it probably won't be a street legal z. If you want to keep it street legal, you probably won't achieve that type of horsepower. I'm currently trying to reach 300hp naturally aspirated and staying street legal and its a challenge. I know I can hit 450-500 easily w forced induction but I know i wont' be street legal and I'm not willing to deal with that. Since you have an HR ( I beleive), w full bolt-on mods and a good tune you can get some good power on that car while staying street legal. I have a DE so my journey is long, slow, and mostly unproductive.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:01 AM
Lethal_350z

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
OP, not sure about Canada, but in USA, or at least NJ where I am from, you can probably be street legal w most full bolt-on mods as long as you keep your cats. Beyond that, street legal goes out the window. If you want to achieve a car with that type of horsepower it probably won't be a street legal z. If you want to keep it street legal, you probably won't achieve that type of horsepower. I'm currently trying to reach 300hp naturally aspirated and staying street legal and its a challenge. I know I can hit 450-500 easily w forced induction but I know i wont' be street legal and I'm not willing to deal with that. Since you have an HR ( I beleive), w full bolt-on mods and a good tune you can get some good power on that car while staying street legal. I have a DE so my journey is long, slow, and mostly unproductive.
Thanks for the actual advice, any reason as to why it wouldn't be street legal with a catback exhaust and twin turbo or Forced Induction
Old 03-03-2021, 09:03 AM
Lethal_350z

emphasis on the bold and red sections..... you may have the car in 2 years, but that will be about it
I guess we shall see, alot can happen in two years
Old 03-03-2021, 10:58 AM
ntwillie1

Usually because of emissions. I try to buy parts that have CARB certifications if they are visible. This way if they (DMV) ask, i just point to the sticker. When they look under my car they usually ask about my CATs which are aftermarket but since I have them and the car passes the emissions testing they leave me alone about it. Aftermarket Turbos and Superchargers typically don't have CARB certification so just from a visual standpoint you wanna get ready for the questions. There is one that claims to be street legal, can't remember if its Vortech or Stillen, but they do claim for "off road " use only.

I recently got aftermarket headers and thermal wrapped them. If you look hard enough you can see them and will know they are not factory. I'm hoping on my next inspection visit in July/August they don't pay too much attention to them. If they ask about the plenum I just tell them I painted it. Its actually gutted a bit but unless you take it apart you'd never know. Using my cheap ODB2 scanner I did a quick smog test the other night and it passed so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway, just sucks to have to deal with this. Some states like Florida don't have it as bad. NY, NJ, California - good luck.

I had a CLS 550 that was tuned and putting out about 500whp, but looked factory, and they never even asked a question about it. I show up w my Z for inspection same day, an hour later, and its an interrogation and that car actually is legal, lol. Sometimes just the look will get you noticed by the DMV. Funny thing is after they beat me up for 15 minutes about what I did to the car they ask if they can take a picture or just ask me car guy stuff, cracks me up.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:45 AM
Lethal_350z

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Usually because of emissions. I try to buy parts that have CARB certifications if they are visible. This way if they (DMV) ask, i just point to the sticker. When they look under my car they usually ask about my CATs which are aftermarket but since I have them and the car passes the emissions testing they leave me alone about it. Aftermarket Turbos and Superchargers typically don't have CARB certification so just from a visual standpoint you wanna get ready for the questions. There is one that claims to be street legal, can't remember if its Vortech or Stillen, but they do claim for "off road " use only.

I recently got aftermarket headers and thermal wrapped them. If you look hard enough you can see them and will know they are not factory. I'm hoping on my next inspection visit in July/August they don't pay too much attention to them. If they ask about the plenum I just tell them I painted it. Its actually gutted a bit but unless you take it apart you'd never know. Using my cheap ODB2 scanner I did a quick smog test the other night and it passed so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway, just sucks to have to deal with this. Some states like Florida don't have it as bad. NY, NJ, California - good luck.

I had a CLS 550 that was tuned and putting out about 500whp, but looked factory, and they never even asked a question about it. I show up w my Z for inspection same day, an hour later, and its an interrogation and that car actually is legal, lol. Sometimes just the look will get you noticed by the DMV. Funny thing is after they beat me up for 15 minutes about what I did to the car they ask if they can take a picture or just ask me car guy stuff, cracks me up.
Haha, that's great man, definitely keep that in mind!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:08 AM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

street legal race car. I don't think if built properly a W2W car can be street legal. But i'm guessing you are wanting HPDE. If thats the case all u really need are tires and brakes to start with. actually, your first HPDE can be just bone stock and u move from there.

Don't be that guy thats all show and no go at the track!
Old 03-04-2021, 08:06 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,288 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
street legal race car. I don't think if built properly a W2W car can be street legal. But i'm guessing you are wanting HPDE. If thats the case all u really need are tires and brakes to start with. actually, your first HPDE can be just bone stock and u move from there.

Don't be that guy thats all show and no go at the track!
More cents than sense.

So much of that here in the Sillycon Valley. Lots of nouveau riche who believe a fast car means "faster-mo-better-driver". Like the Tesla guy who Dugan'd his Mod X the other day down the block from me. I found it humorous (fortunately he didn't hurt anyone else while doing a donut over the median. Har.....)

If what you want is a true dual purpose (street/track) vehicle, invest in the driver before the car. Then, when you get to 80-90% of the CAR'S ability, then work on raising the bar with dollars in the car. The driver's challenge to drive a stock Z fast is bigger than driving a built one fastER.

$2500 at a driver's school is worth FAR MORE than that amount on the car. It's the mod that transfers to every car you own AND lasts a lifetime.

[Off soapbox - done with my annual "rant". ]

EDIT: Whups, just read post #4..... seems dkmura and I are ALWAYS the same two saying the same thing. Hahhahahaaaaaaaa....

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-04-2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:17 AM
travlee
Master

hell, dugan couldnt even handle stock power
Freise (03-07-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:54 AM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
More cents than sense.

So much of that here in the Sillycon Valley. Lots of nouveau riche who believe a fast car means "faster-mo-better-driver". Like the Tesla guy who Dugan'd his Mod X the other day down the block from me. I found it humorous (fortunately he didn't hurt anyone else while doing a donut over the median. Har.....)

If what you want is a true dual purpose (street/track) vehicle, invest in the driver before the car. Then, when you get to 80-90% of the CAR'S ability, then work on raising the bar with dollars in the car. The driver's challenge to drive a stock Z fast is bigger than driving a built one fastER.

$2500 at a driver's school is worth FAR MORE than that amount on the car. It's the mod that transfers to every car you own AND lasts a lifetime.

[Off soapbox - done with my annual "rant". ]

EDIT: Whups, just read post #4..... seems dkmura and I are ALWAYS the same two saying the same thing. Hahhahahaaaaaaaa....
10/10
Its hard to sit behind a computer and read about these experiences. You really have to put yourself in the seat of a Z (or any car) driving on track at your limits to understand this concept. It really is seat time IF you are seeking to build a track car drivable on the street.

OP, I encourage you to take $200-300 of your planned "mod" money and put it towards a track event IF you do actually plan to have this a dual purpose car. Get 4 solid sessions in and then you will sort of have an idea (maybe) of what you will need. I bet most people won't figure out what is needed on their 1st track day, no matter how long you've been driving on the street. Most people are nowhere near the limits of the car 1st time out. You do that, come back with an update and I'm sure most of the people here will be more helpful. But from experience, most guys won't do that. Its all talk about having a "track" car. The fact is, most of the Z's are track-THEMED builds.

Edit: track or street, its just a preference, but be honest with yourself when you decide.

Last edited by Bak3rme; 03-05-2021 at 04:56 AM.
DarkZ03 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 08:20 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Like all the race cars out there with harnesses, most of them never see a track lol.

Quick Reply: (ADVICE) building a street legal racecar