Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are 350zs the most taken apart car and never put back together?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 06:43 PM
Alabama350z

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
For me, if you buy a car for it's resale value, you're doing it wrong.
I would never buy something I could not at least make a little money or break even.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:16 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,096 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Alabama350z
I would never buy something I could not at least make a little money or break even.
Fair enough. I don't see cars as investments as the majority are not appreciating assets but actually the opposite.

I'm not a car flipper. Just a driver/enthusiast
The following 3 users liked this post by Heel Til I Die:
Alabama350z (02-13-2022), Ponyryd (02-13-2022), WYZIWYG (02-14-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 06:25 AM
Alabama350z

Fair enough. I don't see cars as investments as the majority are not appreciating assets but actually the opposite.

I'm not a car flipper. Just a driver/enthusiast
Locally used cars are at an all time high. A used 10 year old SUV is worth more now than 3 years ago and 30k less miles.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:03 AM
Ponyryd

Received 244 Likes on 208 Posts

The first 350z I had I sold it and made $2700 after doing stuff like putting the clips and bolts back factory and a few other things.

My car I have now I have been offered nearly 4000 more than I paid the main reason is it is all perfectly stock except Z1 hatch shocks.
Putting a 1000 in it making it new and stock will make you more profit than going aftermarket. I even put new pads on it from Nissan.

In the southeast stock cars are worth alot more than a one than has had 1000s of aftermarket parts installed.
Right now a 2003-2005 car less than a 100,000 in good shape is a 11-12k car all day.
Most enthusiasts aren’t car flippers. If your only reason to have the car is to flip and brag about it then you’re doing it wrong.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:35 AM
Alabama350z

Originally Posted by Ponyryd
Most enthusiasts aren’t car flippers. If your only reason to have the car is to flip and brag about it then you’re doing it wrong.
Just different view points. I would have a problem if what I was doing to a car was lowering the value for a daily driver. Race car is different.

Local guy buys sports cars all the time fixes them up drives them a year then sells them at a profit.He is a car enthusiast.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:05 AM
Ponyryd

Just different view points. I would have a problem if what I was doing to a car was lowering the value for a daily driver. Race car is different.

Local guy buys sports cars all the time fixes them up drives them a year then sells them at a profit.He is a car enthusiast.
Yes of course, which is what I and others are trying to say to you. Nothing wrong with what they’re doing, just different opinions on mods.

I have done this for many years of my life as well, but my focus was never on the value I’m bringing to the car, I would buy a car in winter or spring, modify the car to my tastes, then list it for sale in the winter to avoid storing it, most of the time the car would sell for more that I paid, but it was also modified to my taste, not returned to stock.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:50 AM
Alabama350z

Yes of course, which is what I and others are trying to say to you. Nothing wrong with what they’re doing, just different opinions on mods.

I have done this for many years of my life as well, but my focus was never on the value I’m bringing to the car, I would buy a car in winter or spring, modify the car to my tastes, then list it for sale in the winter to avoid storing it, most of the time the car would sell for more that I paid, but it was also modified to my taste, not returned to stock.
Example you are buying a 350z got it down to 2 cars.

Car A completely stock has new Michelins interior is in great shape 95,000 miles. Clean from bumper to bumper except a few paints chips.

Car B 95,000 miles Has aftermarket wheels customer traded factory wheels away, hatch does not work, hatch shocks are shot and on upside down, hatch will not stay up at all, no spare tire and missing jack parts owner does not have them, interior pieces in hatch area are missing owner sold them on ebay, nothing but bare metal showing in hatch area, has a racing seat for drivers, factory seat in passenger, door panels are missing but owner has them but they are damage because of removing with pry bar to install high dollar speakers, drivers door glass is loose and rattles, drivers door handle is broke, wheel wells are loose and rattle have no clips, all lower engine covers are missing, under hood looks like a bomb went off. Car is lowered, with hugh tires that rub over bumps and tight turns, tires are Chinese ebay that are shot and make a ton of road noise. Car has a ton of air noise because hatch will not shut due to shocks being on upside down and drivers window needs adjusting. Customer claims he has 7k in after market parts.

Asking price is 12k for either car which one do you buy? Unless some 16 year old kid is making the choice. People with a credit score over 720 what car do they buy.

Last edited by Alabama350z; 02-13-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:22 PM
Ponyryd

Car A completely stock has new Michelins interior is in great shape 95,000 miles. Clean from bumper to bumper except a few paints chips.

Car B 95,000 miles Has aftermarket wheels customer traded factory wheels away, hatch does not work, hatch shocks are shot and on upside down, hatch will not stay up at all, no spare tire and missing jack parts owner does not have them, interior pieces in hatch area are missing owner sold them on ebay, nothing but bare metal showing in hatch area, has a racing seat for drivers, factory seat in passenger, door panels are missing but owner has them but they are damage because of removing with pry bar to install high dollar speakers, drivers door glass is loose and rattles, drivers door handle is broke, wheel wells are loose and rattle have no clips, all lower engine covers are missing, under hood looks like a bomb went off. Car is lowered, with hugh tires that rub over bumps and tight turns, tires are Chinese ebay that are shot and make a ton of road noise. Car has a ton of air noise because hatch will not shut due to shocks being on upside down and drivers window needs adjusting. Customer claims he has 7k in after market parts.

Asking price is 12k for either car which one do you buy? Unless some 16 year old kid is making the choice. People with a credit score over 720 what car do they buy.
Well, I know what parts cost, so I buy the modded car.
But again, you’re missing the point, your opinion of what is a proper car is meaningless, many enthusiasts have a different opinion than you. So if your opinion is that a car should be completely stock, and stay completely stock then where is the fun and why are you even at a car show? Maybe you’d feel more comfortable at the Concours show or something.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:44 PM
Alabama350z

Well, I know what parts cost, so I buy the modded car.
But again, you’re missing the point, your opinion of what is a proper car is meaningless, many enthusiasts have a different opinion than you. So if your opinion is that a car should be completely stock, and stay completely stock then where is the fun and why are you even at a car show? Maybe you’d feel more comfortable at the Concours show or something.
I have been going to car shows most likely before you were born. The car shows I attend would not allow a a junked out car as I described in prior post. Not saying completely stock but if you are gonna modify the car do it where the car is still very nice and appealing not something that looks like two drunk 16 year olds in their back yard did the work.

Like a guy told me 1 time are you a bondo man or or a steel man.
Sounds like I hit a nerve with you. If I wanna see junk I can go to a junk yard. I like them stock or modified but very nice.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:52 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I have been going to car shows most likely before you were born. The car shows I attend would not allow a a junked out car as I described in prior post. Not saying completely stock but if you are gonna modify the car do it where the car is still very nice and appealing not something that looks like two drunk 16 year olds in their back yard did the work.

Sounds like I hit a nerve with you. If I wanna see junk I can go to a junk yard. I like them stock or modified but very nice.
Always someone trying to do repairs on the cheap!
Old 02-14-2022, 05:03 AM
Heel Til I Die

I like the to think that personal vehicles are a reflection of the owner. I modify my vehicles to my standards and preferences. They're extensions of myself. As the Z33 depreciates with age and mileage, they become more affordable and the buyer that is picking up one for less than $5K with a salvage/rebuilt title probably doesn't have priorities such as fixing the cosmetic things that are wrong with it. The Z33 interior is cheap and breaks. When popping off panels, half of those plastic rivet clips will get destroyed as plastic becomes more brittle with age. If they don't have the money to buy an unmolested Z, they likely don't have the money to fix stuff that is wrong with it, or things that they break when throwing on fleabay parts.

While it's sad and disappointing to see a beautiful machine that's been ruined or improperly maintained, what are you going to do? At the end of the day, you're not the one that has to stare at it in your driveway.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:27 AM
Alabama350z

I like the to think that personal vehicles are a reflection of the owner. I modify my vehicles to my standards and preferences. They're extensions of myself. As the Z33 depreciates with age and mileage, they become more affordable and the buyer that is picking up one for less than $5K with a salvage/rebuilt title probably doesn't have priorities such as fixing the cosmetic things that are wrong with it. The Z33 interior is cheap and breaks. When popping off panels, half of those plastic rivet clips will get destroyed as plastic becomes more brittle with age. If they don't have the money to buy an unmolested Z, they likely don't have the money to fix stuff that is wrong with it, or things that they break when throwing on fleabay parts.

While it's sad and disappointing to see a beautiful machine that's been ruined or improperly maintained, what are you going to do? At the end of the day, you're not the one that has to stare at it in your driveway.
If the clips break you go to the parts store and buy more. If you can't afford a 3 dollar box of clips why are you modifying a 350z to start with. Here is a picture of the correct door panel clips. This is not rocket science. I have taken off probably 40 different door panels for people fixing power window, window loose, adjusting window for wind noise shimming the door check/stop etc. I always say before you come to the house buy 2 boxes of this part number. If they don't have the 2 boxes with them I send them own their way. If they can't get organized enough to pick up 2 boxes of clips I'm not gonna help them for free. Woman friend of the family before Christmas needed a power window motor she bought the motor/regulator off amazon I texted her and said pick these 2 boxes of clips with part # she shows up without the clips . I sent her away and she ended up at the dealer they would not use her amazon window motor so they charged her 400 plus for a new nissan motor plus charged her 18 for new clips and 1.5 in labor. Total bill was $669 plus this girl got an *** chewing from her daddy. All because she refused to go to Oreillys and buy $6 in clips. I try to help people with 350zs every day but some are just to stupid to be helped. So this woman instead of just paying 109 for the Amazon motor and $6 in clips my free labor she rather do her way and pay $669 these are kind of people who own cars.

Last edited by Alabama350z; 02-14-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:58 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,666 Posts

$7 on Amazon for 50 of the black clips, even better. I also ordered a few different sized for my other cars
The following users liked this post:
Alabama350z (02-15-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 10:25 AM
Heel Til I Die

If the clips break you go to the parts store and buy more. If you can't afford a 3 dollar box of clips why are you modifying a 350z to start with. Here is a picture of the correct door panel clips. This is not rocket science. I have taken off probably 40 different door panels for people fixing power window, window loose, adjusting window for wind noise shimming the door check/stop etc. I always say before you come to the house buy 2 boxes of this part number. If they don't have the 2 boxes with them I send them own their way. If they can't get organized enough to pick up 2 boxes of clips I'm not gonna help them for free. Woman friend of the family before Christmas needed a power window motor she bought the motor off amazon I texted her and said pick these 2 boxes of clips with part # she shows up without the clips . I sent her away and she ended up at the dealer they would not use her amazon window motor so they charged her 400 plus for a new nissan motor plus charged her 18 for new clips and 1.5 in labor. Total bill was $669 plus this girl got an *** chewing from her daddy. All because she refused to go to Oreillys and buy $6 in clips. I try to help people with 350zs every day but some are just to stupid to be helped. So this woman instead of just paying 109 for the Amazon motor and $6 in clips my free labor she rather do her way and pay $669 these are kind of people who own cars.
You raise several interesting points that relate to your original question that started this thread. Plenty of people out there modify their Z when they clearly can't afford it. I've seen too many FS ads where a 15+ year old car is listed for some obscene amount and there isn't even a clear title and money is still owed on it. People overextend themselves all the time - especially this younger generation that buys a thousand dollar phone but then cries about not having any money to make rent. It just happens. A <$10 box of panel clips is out of reach when there are more pointless things to buy and waste money even though you're living paycheck to paycheck. It's just a different way to live and spend money. Personally, I think that with the exception of real estate, if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it. I'm clearly in the minority in this mindset, but what can you do? People just don't get it.

The example about the female family friend exemplifies the lack of taking some initiative to only waste money in the end. Dump people drive cars. Dumb people drive Zs. It's inevitable. I'm not saying all Z drivers are dumb, but I bet that the Z owners who have let their Z fall into a state of disrepair are either too lazy or just too dumb to put them back together.

Now where's a post from that member with his old man rant asking people to kindly mind the grass...
The following 3 users liked this post by Heel Til I Die:
Alabama350z (02-14-2022), BORNGEARHEAD (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 11:12 AM
Alabama350z

You raise several interesting points that relate to your original question that started this thread. Plenty of people out there modify their Z when they clearly can't afford it. I've seen too many FS ads where a 15+ year old car is listed for some obscene amount and there isn't even a clear title and money is still owed on it. People overextend themselves all the time - especially this younger generation that buys a thousand dollar phone but then cries about not having any money to make rent. It just happens. A <$10 box of panel clips is out of reach when there are more pointless things to buy and waste money even though you're living paycheck to paycheck. It's just a different way to live and spend money. Personally, I think that with the exception of real estate, if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it. I'm clearly in the minority in this mindset, but what can you do? People just don't get it.

The example about the female family friend exemplifies the lack of taking some initiative to only waste money in the end. Dump people drive cars. Dumb people drive Zs. It's inevitable. I'm not saying all Z drivers are dumb, but I bet that the Z owners who have let their Z fall into a state of disrepair are either too lazy or just too dumb to put them back together.

Now where's a post from that member with his old man rant asking people to kindly mind the grass...
Great post I agree 100%.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:18 AM
Ponyryd

I suppose that’s possible, but not sure why it’s relevant in this discussion…….are you implying I’m younger than you and don’t deserve to make my own decisions on modding cars?
Hit a nerve with me? No, not even close. I’m just sharing an opinion, same as you are, not sure why you’re taking this so seriously.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:06 AM
Alabama350z

I suppose that’s possible, but not sure why it’s relevant in this discussion…….are you implying I’m younger than you and don’t deserve to make my own decisions on modding cars?
Hit a nerve with me? No, not even close. I’m just sharing an opinion, same as you are, not sure why you’re taking this so seriously.
I have noticed that say the over 40 car owners have much cleaner nicer cars than say the under 30 crowd. You can say it is money but one of these cars I know with a junkyard looking 350z comes from a extremely wealthy family their pool house is worth probably 750k.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:27 AM
Heel Til I Die

If they own their $750K pool house outright, then the Z is an interesting choice for a car for a family with that much money.

I hate to say it, but if I had that kind of money, I'd be driving something else.

Maybe...

Or, we chalk the junkyard Z to laziness or stupidity. lol.
Alabama350z (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 07:01 AM
bre240z

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I would go for car A regardless if i was keeping it stock or modifying it. Any car that has mods you are taking a higher risk with condition of it and who knows what mods were done internal that you are not aware of. Now there are some people out there that mod their cars but do it the right way but most dont especially if they are on the younger side. Car A all day for me.
Alabama350z (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 07:23 AM
Alabama350z

Originally Posted by bre240z
I would go for car A regardless if i was keeping it stock or modifying it. Any car that has mods you are taking a higher risk with condition of it and who knows what mods were done internal that you are not aware of. Now there are some people out there that mod their cars but do it the right way but most dont especially if they are on the younger side. Car A all day for me.
Buying a modified car is a lot like dealing with women some look great on the outside but have many hidden flaws that nice wheels and a wing on the back may hid to the inexperienced buyer.
Just like women modified cars will leave you broke down on the side of the road costing you big money.

Quick Reply: Are 350zs the most taken apart car and never put back together?