Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

HR fan operation questions (with A/C delete)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 06:09 PM
LowEndTheory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HR fan operation questions (with A/C delete)

The short version: my fans don't come on until the engine is 208 degrees. This doesn't seem right.

The long version: I am a new owner of a 08 Z and new to the Z entirely. The internet tells me that the fans are supposed to work like this:

Start the car with a/c off = No fans
Start the car with a/c on = Passenger side fan on
Car running at idle and up to operating temps (190 something) = Passenger fan will cycle on and off to cool
Car running at idle and exceeding operating temps (Around 208) = Drivers side will turn on to assist the other fan
Anytime the a/c is turned on the passenger side fan will come on for the a/c condenser.

As I said, on my car, the fans do nothing until the engine reaches 208. At that point both fans come on until the temp drops below 190. Then they both go off again. The self-diagnostic activates both fans in low and high speed. I have swapped the 3 relays around and it didn't change the behavior.

When I got the car its oil galley gaskets had failed, so I had only driven the car about 3 miles before I replaced those (and the timing chains, guides, water pump and thermostat). Since this is being built for track-only, I went ahead and I removed the A/C compressor and condenser. This is probably why I can't get the fan to come on with the A/C switch, but I'd think they would come on way before 208.

Any thoughts? I am pretty close to just buying an external fan controller.