2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2007 NISSAN 350Z ROADSTER - Convertible Top Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 06:01 AM
ArmageddonZ8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 NISSAN 350Z ROADSTER - Convertible Top Problems

Hey guys!

I bought a 2007 Nissan 350z Roadster, with a soft-top convertible.
The mechanism worked perfectly fine. Up until I decided to take it to a mechanic friend of a friend to replace the soft top.

The top was brand new and bought from a third-party provider, I did make sure that it was the correct model.

THE PROBLEM:

The mechanism still works fine, however; When it fully retracts open, it slows down towards the end stages where the top folds in, and I have to manually push down. When I do this, it closes fine.
When I try to close the convertible top, it does the entire mechanism without a problem, however, in the final stage where the 5th bow latches onto the frame, it does not latch and it leaves a 1" - 2" gap between the frame and the top.

I replace the bands with SpyderBands (granted I might of replaced these improperly).

I can provide pictures later if needed.

Does anyone have a possible solution?

Thank you!
Old 12-06-2023, 05:12 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

The top is probably still a bit stiff and not stretched out yet. It may get better with time (and heat), but it sounds like your motors are struggling for the last part of the operation when the material is going to be tightest. Once the new top takes form, the problem may go away, or your motors are on their way out and may need a rebuild/replacement. They have a similar design to the window motors and the internal brushes get worn down.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:18 AM
ArmageddonZ8

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
The top is probably still a bit stiff and not stretched out yet. It may get better with time (and heat), but it sounds like your motors are struggling for the last part of the operation when the material is going to be tightest. Once the new top takes form, the problem may go away, or your motors are on their way out and may need a rebuild/replacement. They have a similar design to the window motors and the internal brushes get worn down.
Thank you for replying!

The top has been on the vehicle since November 25th, do you think that's enough time?

Also, where can I find the motors in the vehicle? (i believe it's the 5th bow motor)
Old 12-06-2023, 07:35 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

I think it depends on the weather where you're from. Generally, I think you're supposed to let it sit in the sun for like a week for it to stretch. If the temps have been cold in your area, it may take longer.

There are several motors for the top. The 5th bow motor is the notorious one, but there also two other motors located on the left side towards the rear. One is under the storage lid/tonneau and the other is closer to the left tail lamp. Based on your symptoms, it's probably the 5th bow motor, but there are so many components back there.
Old 12-06-2023, 07:38 AM
ArmageddonZ8

Awesome, how can I troubleshoot if it's the motors?
Old 06-06-2024, 08:24 AM
Curliss

Sounds very like the 5th bow regulator to me. I had exactly the same problem on mine last year. It started to fold back and forwards very slowly. Then it stopped before reaching the end of the closing process, so I pushed it down just as you are doing. It got worse and worse until eventually it wouldn't open or close at all. A local dealership said 5th bow, so I managed to get an import from Japan as BREXIT had completely messed up importing car parts from EU to UK. Good news is, it opens and closes like new once the 5th bow regulator is replaced. I tried for a quick fix, but nothing worked. Forget the Spyderbands quick fix, I personally believe that's a scam.