2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

H&R spring question

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 09:46 PM
ShadowSide

Default H&R spring question

Hey everyone

Got a bit of an interesting one today.

7 weeks ago I injured my back at the gym. Not sure 100% what I've done but could be a bulging disc or a strained back etc not 100% sure at this point. Anyway, I'm wondering if the 350z contributed to it and the reason I ask is I recently remebered I had some aftermarket springs on the car (on it when I bought it) which are the H&R Sport Springs (SKU 53050). Anyway, only the rear springs were ever on the vehicle and I don't have the front springs. I never thought anything of it until recently. I have not been driving the 350z as it is harsh and uncomfortable now and I am starting to wonder if the 350z contributed to it.

I had a few questions:

1. Are those H&R springs quite a harsh spring or softer? I'd feel a bit better if they were not much different than OEM springs. From what I can tell, I have the 427ib rear OEM springs as mine is a JDM 05 350z. I can't seem to find much info on the H&R spring rates and a few threads say that this is a worry and they might be bad quality springs? I did find I think at peak they are 400ibs which would make them softer than the OEM right? Especially since the intial softer part would be even softer?

2. Is it bad that I had a mixed aftermarket and oem set up. Front were OEM and rear are the H&R. I'm not worried if it was bad for the car but rather would it have caused any issues that could have contributed to my back injury?

3. Struts are OEM as far as I am aware. I assume those springs are ok to fit on OEM Struts?

I am selling the 350z now but I just feel a bit of regret wondering if MAYBE it contributed to my back injury and MAYBE the set-up was bad too.

I have not really done lots of driving in it. It was a daily but apart from the first 3 months where I drove 30 minutes to and from work it has really only been used for 10 minute drives to work and drives around town, nothing long distance except a few 1 hour trips in it.
Old Today | 05:01 AM
Heel Til I Die

1. Interestingly, a quick Google doesn't really reveal much about the spring rates of the H&R springs. Since they're progressive rate lowering springs, they will likely be firmer than OEM, but just a guess. No firsthand experience with them.

2. Whether driving contributed to your back injury is a medical question for your doctor. My guess is their opinion, at best, would be maybe. Any significant past medical history of back issues?

3. You can put lowering springs on OEM struts, but you shouldn't.

My guess is that the struts are toast. If they're original, I bet they have quite a bit of miles on them and likely exceeded their lifespan. Really need more details on the "harsh and uncomfortable" ride quality. If it's bouncy, then that's probably your struts, but there are so many suspension components making it hard to diagnose.