2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please tell me it's me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:12 PM
aptiva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please tell me it's me!

I'm not sure I'm on the right forum, but I have owned this car for
two months, and half the times I shift in the lower gears, the shifts are not smooth. I have driven stick shift cars my whole life, (last one was a Miata LS) and never had the problems making smooth shifts I have with this car. I have no problem from fourth through sixth, just the damn lower ones. I don't know if its the clutch or the throttle, but I just can't seem to get past this. Anyone have any suggestions? I love the car, but am getting frustrated by the bumpy shifting. Thanks Bob
Old 03-22-2004, 01:27 PM
spitfirez

Are you only having problems downshifting? I find it sometimes when I downshift into 2nd, it's a little jerky but mainly because I need to rev match better.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Rushguy

Shift at higher rpms, don't baby first gear. Take first gear up slow or fast I don't care to say 4-6k rpm. Try shifting to 2nd at those rpms and you may notice it shifts easier.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Zeenut

I had a Miata previously as well. The big difference is that you now have a lot more power and a lot more torque...especially torque! Just drive it some more and things will smooth out. I agree with running the RPM's up for a smoother shift but after you get used to the car you can do it at any speed. Nothing wrong with having to drive this car some more....practice is fun!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:35 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there have also been issues with bad trannies, and you may want to take your car in to the dealer just to have them test it to see if it is similar to other cars. Better yet, you may try and test drive a different Z to see if it feels the same.

My car has 30000 miles, and has a very notchy 2nd gear when cold. It is almost impossible to consistently shift without a clunk, unless I go past 3000 RPM. Once things heat up, it shifts much better. I'm too lazy to do much about the problem, especially since it is about to be summer time, but I'm also going to have the dealer check it out when I have some other minor issues taken care of. We'll see what they say.

-D'oh!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:46 PM

when you say jerky do you mean hard putting it into gear or having problems with pull once it's in the gear?