Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why Pick a 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 01:08 PM
703z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Pick a 350z?

So im buying a new car this month. ( most likely next week) I am still debating which to get. My choices are 350z, G35 coupe or 3 Series bmw. My top pick, after looking around various sites is the 350z. I sold my previous car, a Civic Hatchback h22a motor swap w/ Turbo ect. (10second street car) and i still have the speed bug but do not want to go the Honda route. I want a nice looking stable car with some speed (not one that feels like im speeding down the road in a tin can ).

Why should i pick a 350z? Have there been any problems adding mods on this car? Someone told me there was a problem with the 350z after 5k miles? What times should i expect with a basic N/A setup? (intake,exhaust, cams, ect) What times should i expect with a 100shot nitrous? What times should i expect with the greddy turbo? or a Supercharger? I consider myself a good driver and did own a 1993 300zx TT(with mods) before my honda.

Any input would be great, thanks!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:39 PM
manofsteele2003

It all depends on what you are looking for in a car. The 350 in a straight sports car. The G35 seems more like a luxury coupe and same with the BMW. If you wanted more luxury defenitly go with the G35 coupe, alot more bang for the buck. Cause I think the 325ci coupe only has about 180 horses and it costs about the same, if not more. But if you want to talk about reputations for reliability BMW has a pretty bad one, plus repair costs and mods are going to be alot more expensive. Just cause it's a bimmer. That's just my two cents because I had to make the same decision, I had a turbo civic and I had to decide whether to go for more performance or more luxury. I chose more performance.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:55 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Z with 100shot, turbo, or SC will all be very similair, and should run upper 12s unless you start modding pulleys on the SC and the like, Im talking standard boost.

intake exhaust crap. expect maybe .2 off your quarter mile if you go full out, and spend 3 or 4 grand overall. its not worth much, and if your wanting real speed its not effective.

the car is more of a handler/power combo than a single purpose. and responds great to some fat tread and tight suspension. .98g's is pretty common with simple suspension.

it will without a doubt net you the most speed and most handling. being the lightest car of the 3. which will always be the limiting factor since the G35 can get the same hp. the BMW would depend, the 325 is comparable price wise, but youd need atleast the 330 to have a chance performance-wise.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:02 PM
JeepRage

Default Re: Why Pick a 350z?

Originally posted by 703z
So im buying a new car this month. ( most likely next week) I am still debating which to get. My choices are 350z, G35 coupe or 3 Series bmw. My top pick, after looking around various sites is the 350z. I sold my previous car, a Civic Hatchback h22a motor swap w/ Turbo ect. (10second street car) and i still have the speed bug but do not want to go the Honda route. I want a nice looking stable car with some speed (not one that feels like im speeding down the road in a tin can ).

Why should i pick a 350z? Have there been any problems adding mods on this car? Someone told me there was a problem with the 350z after 5k miles? What times should i expect with a basic N/A setup? (intake,exhaust, cams, ect) What times should i expect with a 100shot nitrous? What times should i expect with the greddy turbo? or a Supercharger? I consider myself a good driver and did own a 1993 300zx TT(with mods) before my honda.

Any input would be great, thanks!
10 second street car? This is 350Z forum, not fast and furious.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:17 PM
SweatyPalm

Originally posted by 703z
I sold my previous car, a Civic Hatchback h22a motor swap w/ Turbo ect. (10second street car) and i still have the speed bug but do not want to go the Honda route. I want a nice looking stable car with some speed (not one that feels like im speeding down the road in a tin can ).
So winter is finally over in Virginia eh? What will be your beater in next winter?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:35 PM
KingofScion

First question
what are you comparing it you?

Here is why you should buy a 350z.

Pros:
Nissan Engine, RWD, awesome handling,
awesome looks, purformance potential
Most Masuline loooking coupe today

Cons:
tire feathering problems, trans problems,
resale (as any sports car is) not the best interior looks

Buy a 350z because it's a great value.

Omer.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:54 PM
almjones

Pros: The 350Z has 287 BHP and 275 LB.-FT. of Torque. It has a 0-60 MPH time of 5.3 seconds so feeling speeding while looking good is not a problem. Shifting is very good since the clutch is easy to control and braking and acclerating are so much easier. The braking is superb (best in class) even w/o Brembo brakes. There is also a 5-speed auto w/ manual-shift mode on Touring and Enthuisath trims.

Cons: The 35OZ only has 2 seating and not adequate trunk space so if you have a family I would get the G35 Coupe. The interior is moderate but pretty good considering the pricing. The rear view from the driver's seat is a little bit bad but still good nonetheless.

Overall, The 350Z is a very good value.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:58 PM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Test Drive all of them over and over and over. Visit many dealers if you must. I did this for six months! Eventually you just KNOW which is best for you.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:08 PM
almjones

There is also another problem I've heard most people encounter. The transmission is a main problem. In May 2004 Road and Track Magazine they drove the car for 26,500 miles and had to bring it to a dealer to repair a 5th gear syncro and excessive gear whine. They might of abused it but they claim not to (but still, why repair the transmission at only 26,500 miles!). Another side fact: The 350Z has an average 21 MPG.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:16 PM
samw1978

not all Zs have this transmission problem
Old 04-13-2004, 05:23 PM
NzZ

If you're after another street rod, you might want to wait on the 350z. Although there are tons of mods, the power gain per dollar is minimal. And unlike hondas, engine swaps for these cars are far from dime-a-dozen. I love the Z, I think it's a fantastic car - but it is no modder's dream. The FI kits are just getting their kinks worked out, and I for one would not be willing to deal with all the headache and expense. If you can live with the car's stock performance (or marginally better w/mods) then by all means go for it - no other car in its class offers the style, performance, and features of the Z. And the best part is, you don't have to say you're the owner of some snotty eurocar! ;-) JK

NzZ
Old 04-13-2004, 05:27 PM
ml2316

because you like deafening tire noise. jk. because it's the best combination of performance, styling, price for around $30k. that is, unless you prefer the s2000, or g35... or rx8, or sti, etc.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:37 PM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 350Z is the first car since selling my 12 second RX-7 TT that gave me that excitement of driving.

Frankly, I don't find it as much of a sports car as more of a GT cruising coupe. Compared to my standard, I don't find it as edgy, noisy, nor crude as a hard nosed sports car. IMO, it's just too porty to take full advantage of it's engineering and challenge some of the heavy hitters out there.

However, it's benefits of great safety, quietness, comfort, reliability, and fuel efficiency (relatively speaking, I get 25mpg and redline a few times a day - ask the RX-8s what they're getting )made it a perfect choice for me.

Performance wise, it really is a great all round package, although in Cdn dollars (starting at $43K), it's not that much bang for the buck. From your list, the 350Z is definitely the best pick, but may not fit the overall role you're looking for (ie: mega coin to get it in the 12s).

Last edited by FritzMan; 04-13-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:01 PM
ranger5oh

The only downfall to the car, IMO, is only having 2 seats. It gets aggrevating sometimes. But honestly, I love driving this car today as much as I did a year ago when I bought it.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:25 PM
marhot

Default Re: Re: Why Pick a 350z?

Originally posted by JeepRage

Exactly. Buy a Corvette or Mustang GT.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:50 PM
703z

Thanks for all the great info fellas. I will be going to a nissan dealer the test drive it this weekend. You guys were great help.

Exactly. Buy a Corvette or Mustang GT

I thought i was getting away from the little imature kids by selling my honda and getting a 350z, but apperently there are some kids in this forum also I did not ask for your opinion on my previous car i asked for opinions on a 350z, thanks tho.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:05 PM
aaaaa

350z all the way!!!
(how about used NSX)
Old 04-14-2004, 08:25 AM
j03yk

Originally posted by ares

the car is more of a handler/power combo than a single purpose. and responds great to some fat tread and tight suspension. .98g's is pretty common with simple suspension.

Sorry to go off-topic for a bit, but where did you get actual skid pad test results of any suspension mods? I've seen a bunch of non-quantitative results (eg "it feels a lot nicer", or "it definitely helped reduce understeer") but never any test results like this. Thanks.

And to contribute to the topic at hand...it seems like you're still interested in straight line speed even though you're giving up your monster honda. If that's the case then 350Z>g35>3series, although none of these choices are really 1/4 mile beasts.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 AM
KrazY-2K

Originally posted by j03yk

And to contribute to the topic at hand...it seems like you're still interested in straight line speed even though you're giving up your monster honda. If that's the case then 350Z>g35>3series, although none of these choices are really 1/4 mile beasts.
I agree, but the Z definately isn't a joke 1/4 mile wise
Old 04-14-2004, 08:38 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by j03yk
Sorry to go off-topic for a bit, but where did you get actual skid pad test results of any suspension mods? I've seen a bunch of non-quantitative results (eg "it feels a lot nicer", or "it definitely helped reduce understeer") but never any test results like this. Thanks.

mags, sport compact car just tested the nismo Z with wider rubber and stune suspension, I beleive it was .99g but dont quote me, might be .98. stock was .91.

when it first came out, another mag did a test where they made a suspension for it basicly, custom of sorts(they tried custom exhaust and intake too, but lost hp) the chop shop suspension still got like 1.01g I think... memory is a horrible thing to waste, I do know they used Rcompound though.

Quick Reply: Why Pick a 350z?