Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

diminished value claim - anybody got info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:32 AM
FB-350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diminished value claim - anybody got info?

I tried searching for any info on dimished value claims here, but the search feature seems to be down, so i figured i'd put this out there if anybody knows how the whole dimished value claim thing works... recently my car was backed in to, see original thread here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=67727 i got the car back earlier this week and am very pleased with the repairs, however, having recently traded my used car in to get my Z, i know that used cars are almost worthless in the current auto market, and now being the owner of car that has been hit, i'm sure my vehicle is worth even less now, so i feel i'm entitled to something...
anybody have any ideas on how this works?
any info is greatly appreciated....
Old 04-15-2004, 08:16 AM
Justin

I went through this same thing in November. You need to fight for more money! I was not a fault and I had to deal with the other guys insurance company. They SHOULD give you a "diminished value" check. If they don't, ask them about it. The last thing insurance companies do is give up their money. It's usually really really low-ball. My original check was for $120. What I did was get an "Independent Appraiser" to look at my car while it was being repaired. The appraisal cost me $150. He provided me with a report stating that the diminished value was $2010. I sent this report to the insurance company, who re-evaluated their offer. They bumped it up to $860. I was willing to settle for $1500. But they wouldn't budge. If I wanted to get the full $2010, I woulda had to take the guy who hit me to small claims court. I woulda had to pay the appraiser $250 to appear in court, and pay another $100 in court fees. So I just took the $860. If the judge had found in the insuance companys favor I woulda been down another $300 Anyway. That's my story. Just stick to your guns and don't let the insurance company screw you around. I'm in Georgia, and I do know laws vary from state to state. Hope that was helpful. Good Luck!

Justin
Old 04-15-2004, 08:21 AM
SlamMan

First you need to check you local laws and see if it is legal to sue for diminished value. Second, and most important, you need to have a before and after appraisal writen up by a professional. Then you just sue the person that hit you in small claims court. It's actually very simple.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:26 AM
FB-350

thanks guys;
i've got photos of the damage, so it may be too late to get it appraised, but at least i've got some proof of what damage occurred... i've got a call into the person's insurance company's dimished value claim's office, so we'll see what they say, but i will definitely stick to my guns - i mean, the car was parked when it was hit, so there is not even a hint of any fault of mine here...
we'll see what happens - thanks for the input...