2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Turbo or Super?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:10 PM
playazz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or Super?

HI,
Just wanted to know the basic diffrence between a turo Charger and a Super charger.
I am looking into the GReddy Turbo, or the Stillen Stg. 3 Super. Can anybody give me any insight to this.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:44 PM
CaptinB

A super charger forces air into your intake at a much higher rate, thus more power. A turbo uses exhaust gases to turn a turbine which forces more air into your intake, thus more power. I think they both add fuel into the air that they are forcing in, adding even more power. I think the supercharger gives you more low end power, but the twin turbo's give you more power towards the top end of the power curve. Since the turbo's use exhaust gases to turn them, you need to get going before you can REALLY get going.

Lots of power, terrible gas mileage. We don't need no stinking mileage!

I think that if you start adding these components (esp. a Twin Turbo) you also need to upgrade otehr components to compliment them. These include exhaust, plenum, brakes (stopping is good!) and some other drivetrain components that I can think of right this second. A twin turbo unit will put you at something around 450-500 HP, so needless to say you'll tear up other components that were designed for 300HP.

That's about all this newbie knows thus far.

CaptinB
Old 05-03-2004, 08:46 PM
DiRN

A turbocharger is driven by the exhaust from the engine, whereas a supercharger is belt driven. You can find out more at http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm. Personally I've always liked turbos more the SCs, but that's just me. And I don't really have much of a reason. I just like that it uses air rather than belts.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:48 PM
DiRN

Basically, be prepared to change almost everything that carries either air or fuel as the stock units of an NA system will be too strained with the use of FI.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 PM
CaptinB

Well said Dirn.

Also, be prepared to change tires a bit more often

CaptinB