Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2 Documented Engine Failures blaimed on the UR Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 12:38 PM
sixfive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometime people just need to be right and in with thier little friends - its still good to vet these things even if little minds fight it kicking and screaming.......it took me one year of research to verify my opinion on this as a viable mod and the maxima guys are the huge hitters for info here. UR has never heard of a problem so if 1 guy wants to blame to motors going on a highly modded car then I suppose he'll have his follower like a fashion princess in junior high.

Good to see some reason on this subject again.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:39 PM
350zluvr

This came at a really good time for me. I was days away from purchasing an UR crank pulley. I have heard these rumors from others, but have always believed that because our engines are internally balanced we would not have problems with lightened crank pulleys.

Now I'm not sure what the deal is but I'm sure these rumors have not spread so far because of nothing. Why risk it for a measely few horsepower?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:08 PM
sixfive

Originally posted by 350zluvr

Now I'm not sure what the deal is but I'm sure these rumors have not spread so far because of nothing. Why risk it for a measely few horsepower?
This is the very source of the pulley eruption. I take all the blame for it. I saw what this guy was doing to one of the hardest working members and mods in the forum and let him have a shot or two from the old six five hot air bag and look at the controvesey and enlightement that comes out of it! It's all good except for the attitude which i will admit I could have been more lubed before i went after infinititec.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showflat...=5&part=9&vc=1
Old 05-04-2004, 01:10 PM
sixfive

PS this starts as a hyperground discussion so read page 10 to get to the ridiculous part! enjoy and be informed
Old 05-04-2004, 01:28 PM
jesseenglish

What does this really have to do with whether or not the pulley causes long term engine damage or not? You have no proof, we just have anecdotal evidence. Either way, it is unclear and up to the individual vehicle owner. I don't understand what's so "ridiculous" about someone believing that removal of a harmonic damper increases crank vibration. Seems like basic physics to me.

Why did Nissan put the rubber ring in the pulley? For the hell of it. Maybe they thought it would look better that way.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:44 PM
sixfive

It has to do with the fact that the whole controversey started when he and I flamed each other over the hyperground and his flames included telling me my engine would suffer from the UR pulley. I challenged him and he made up some crap that his dealer had an undprecedented TWO blown G35 VQ's from the pulley.

There's a string of events each of which make this whole conversation a joke to consider real...FWIW
Old 05-04-2004, 02:58 PM
DrVolkl

I feel sorry for the UR people...they're losing money because some jackass is shooting his mouth off about nothing.

Go over to the .org...the maximas have been running the crank pulley well before the Z was even out on the street. Find your broken engines there...best of luck to ya!

Did you hear the one about the Nismo exhaust? Yeah, I'm a tech at the local dealership and we've had 2 Z's come in that had blown engines because the nismo exhaust doesn't have enough backpressure....ruined the whole engine. crazy.

My 2k2 maxima with 33k miles and GASP! A UR PULLEY!!! AAAAARRGGHHHH!

Last edited by DrVolkl; 05-04-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:11 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I (for 80K miles) and MANY MANY other maxima owners have used UR pullies on VQ30DE and VQ35DE motors for nearly 10 years now. I have NEVER heard of any documented engine failure that was even associated with a pullied maxima.

The engine is internally balanced as already states so as long as each item installed (lighter pully, lighter flywheel) is balanced itself there should be no problems. If lighter pullies are breaking motors than lighter flywheels would do the exact same thing.
I'm going to take a moment to say, thanks for your posts. You have a nice habit of putting down information that is based upon knowledge and experience, whether it's about a modification or drag strip issues.

I investigated the UR pulley before I had it installed. I spoke with a source that I can't name but one whose opinion I respect because of his experience and position. He confirmed essentially the samething. In particular, he commented about UR pullies on the 300zx's. The conclusion is that after years of review, there is no documented proof of problem with the UR Pulley.

That was good enough for me.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:23 PM
2003z

I think its BS, but in the even it isn;t, I'm very glad I removed my UR pulley and replaced it with a supercharger
Old 05-04-2004, 05:28 PM
jckolnturn

It's funny that people won't use a pulley but they'll go right ahead and bolt on a supercharger. In no way is this directed as a knock on you either 2003z because if i could afford to upgrade my stock pulley with a supercharger at the end of it i would do the same thing.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:34 PM
lowrider

This thread is now starting to turn ugly. No Need. It started out great. The evidence is anecdotal at best. With what we have read here, and from information we have garnered from other sources, we can all make up our minds. I made my decision 2 months ago not to put a pulley on my car, this just reinforced my decision for me. Others are free to interpret the information presented here any way they wish. I see no vendetta here. Ain't America Great?

Lou
Old 05-04-2004, 08:12 PM
CaneZMD

What I want to know, which I've posted before, is what happened to Mjedens that can be blamed on the pulley. I apreciate Vandy saying what not to mix with the pulley. (in his opinion) But WHY?

I'm not worried about NOS or FI, but what evidence is there that high RPM driving CAUSED whatever it was that happened to Mjedens car? (By the way, what did happen to his car?)

I'm not trying to flame or start anything, I just think that if there is solid evidence that the UR pulley, like the one on my baby, caused a catastrophic engine failure to someone on this board that it is unethical to not warn the rest of us and give us some info.
So how 'bout it? Mjedens? Vandy? Anybody?
Old 05-04-2004, 08:24 PM
SoCalTed

Exclamation Response from UR !

Since I have had a few conversations with Shawn B., President of UR on the subject, I thought I would contact him and see what he had to say about his product being responsible for damaging some VQ engines....

Ted,

We have been making parts for the VG and now the VQ engines for almost 5 years. We work with the top Nissan aftermarket retailers like Stillen and others. We have also had a close relationship with some of the most respected tuners and engineers in the aftermarket, people like Mike Kojima and the owners of Performance Motorsports (Smithtown Nissan).

Needless to say we have thousands upon thousands of VG and VQ crank pulleys out there and have never had one call about a problem and that includes extremely high HP 300ZX TT’s. This does not include the extensive application coverage we have with other models.

Our customers have accumulated 10’s of millions of miles using our products from as little as a 70 HP Civic CX to 1000+ HP MKIV Supra TT’s. Needless to say we have more than proved that our products do not cause any problems or we would have been out of business within months of opening our operations to retail customers in May of 1997.

I would be more interested to know if it was actually our pulleys, because all our pulleys are perfectly balanced, so if there was additional vibration that means there was in imbalance meaning it was probably not ours.

It is possible a driveway mechanic botched up an install because even though pulleys are simple the installation must be done properly. We get calls from end users all the time saying their engines actually feel smoother after the installation of our crank pulleys and that include that already super smooth VQ35.

Beyond that I would be interested to know the other mods that had been done to these vehicles, although things may have been removed to hide the fact of modification. Beyond that I would also like to know what type of oil was used? Were the oil change intervals followed? Was the oil level checked periodically to make sure that the level never got too low? Detonation can be the biggest contributor to bearing failures because of the destructive force exerted on all the bearings from these miss-fires. Maybe nitrous contributed to the detonation? There are million possibilities that could have contributed to these failures. Needless to say we stand behind our products and guarantee that owners will not have any problems when using our pulleys or any of our products.
Please post specifics...and it is interesting that the folks whose engines blew up did not contact UR. I sure as heck would! Perhaps it was not a UR pulley at fault? InfTech, can you confirm?

Let's get good info and resolution to this!

Cheers, ted
Old 05-05-2004, 05:59 AM
Sly_Z

That's BS, adding a lighter pulley isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:24 AM
SoCalTed

Default Re: Response from UR !

FYI...

These are questions raised over in the G35Driver forum that I am sending in to UR for response. please let me know if you have any questions for them too!

#1 - statement / enquiry:
"If UR has a 100% engine replacement guarantee I'll be first in line. "

#2 - enquiry
If they do back their product that way they claim then I have no problem going ahead with the install. I would like to see EXACTLY what they mean by the claim in red at the end of your post. I'd also like to ask him a few technical questions about the pulley design as well.

>> the claim in question was the Shawn's comment: Needless to say we stand behind our products and guarantee that owners will not have any problems when using our pulleys or any of our products.

#3 - technical question
Ask him what the contingencies are. For instance, is a "Certified Tech" required to install it for the guarantee to be good. Is this a "guarantee" or a "warranty". What exactly do the warranty/guarantee? Bearings? Repair labor? Parts? Etc. Keep in mind that a smaller diameter rotating mass will EXACERBATE, not diminsh, linear vibration (or is longitudinal the right word?). Thus, if the original spec has a tolerance to .0000X of error in balance (nothing is perfectly balanced) and this pulley is built to that spec, the fact that it is smaller and lighter will nullify that specs tolerance. In other words, Nissan built in a cushion for error in everything they built, and in this instance a smaller diameter and lighter rotating mass will require an even GREATER balance than the larger.

[....]ask UR for their tolerance specs and Quality Control methods.

#4 - comment regarding Crawford Z (he makes the Crawford plenum that many VQ35DE owners install... I have it too)
Also, Doug wasn't keen on the pulley idea. He's cited a few engine problems that he suspected were pulley related (he didn't specify whether they were UR or not.

As I told the folks on G35driver...... Shawn is the President of UR. In his email response to me, he asked that I pull all questions and comments together and send them to him and another exec he has put me in contact with.

I don't want to be in the gatekeeper position, but I also want to keep the goodwill open between me and him. As you can understand, this has flowed over to the my350z forum, and if I release all the contact info, he will be inundated with the same questions over and over again.

I promise to be honest and post all his replies as I receive them (minus any personal info ... like my home # or his direct line etc..) I hope this will suffice for everyone. BTW, I do not have the pullies on myself, they are a part of my plan and I am close to having them installed. It is not a question of if, but when for me. I will probably install them when I get my SAMCOs and tranny cooler. I am not receiving any discounts from Shawn, nor am I connected in any way with his company. I am not being sponsored by them either!

Cheers, ted
Click here for MODS

P.S. i know I've only got 2 posts on my350z, but you all have sick rides and I can;t help lurking. I've got nearly 1200 posts on G35driver, most of which make some sense.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:30 AM
Sly_Z

Oh Okay, Thanks...........
Old 05-05-2004, 06:49 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I thinks that Shawns reply that no one has contacted them to complain pretty much sums it up; I would be raising hell with SOMEONE if my engine blew up and the dealer was blaming a particular mod.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:00 AM
Sly_Z

Originally posted by PerfZ
I thinks that Shawns reply that no one has contacted them to complain pretty much sums it up; I would be raising hell with SOMEONE if my engine blew up and the dealer was blaming a particular mod.

It's nothing you can do because you're not suppose to mod your car. If you do you have to remember tp put it back to stock before taking it back to the dealer. It just that simple.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:10 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe the word you were attempting to use is "inquiry" please spellcheck before you send professional emails.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Sly_Z

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
i believe the word you were attempting to use is "inquiry" please spellcheck before you send professional emails.
Before you correct my spelling I meant TO instead TP.

Quick Reply: 2 Documented Engine Failures blaimed on the UR Crank Pulley