Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 350Z, 3 defects/problems, should I buy it, and how much should I offer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 10:57 AM
dank311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 350Z, 3 defects/problems, should I buy it, and how much should I offer?

Hey

here is the deal. My local Acura dealership has a used lot, and they have a silverstone 2003 350Z touring model (6spd) for sale. It has everything that the touring model is supposed to come with.(NO navigation)...

I have been looking at this car for about a month now. Its been on the lot for maybe 1 1/2 to 2 months. It looks nice, but there are some problems with it.

1) the tranny is horrible...im guessing it is blessed with the tranny issues of the 03 models...when I drove it, it felt really sloppy! It went into gear ok, but not as well as the brand new one I drove when I went to nissan. So, there is definately something wrong with the transmission....

2.) Tire feathering...When I drove it, there was a roaring type of noise coming from the front two tires only. Mostly when I was breaking when coming to lights. Therefore, this leads me to belive that is also blessed with the tire feathering issues...

3.) All 4 wheels have been curbed. No bending, just some scratches on the edges of the wheel. But, Acura had their wheel guy fix this for $400, and now they look new. But I originally saw it when they were messed up. This leads me to believe that there could potentially be suspension problems. Although the first thing I will do is put coilovers on the car, this still is a problem.

When I talked to the dealer, he told me that the original owner had it since 03 and traded it in for an automatic TSX b/c he couldnt drive a manual transmission. He shouldnt have told me this, but I'm glad he did, b/c that gives me another excuse to lower the price.

THE CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY, SO THIS COULD GIVE ME AN ADVANTAGE TO GET A TOURING AT A STEAL! but, I want all these problems fixed, and I dont want to have them reoccuring. The only problem I am really worried about is the transmission. Will Nissan fix the existing tranny, or will the give me a brand new one? What could be wrong with the tranny internally? Could the gates possibly be banged up and grinded down from someone not knowing how to drive?

THE PRICE....When I first looked at it, it started at $29...and I was like "double hell no" on that! I could get a brand new one for that much...But at the end of last month they lowered it down to $27,8--.....

Here are some of my questions to you all....

1.) would you even mess around with a car with these problems?

2.) How much should I offer acura for the car? Starting price?

MY FINANCIAL SITUATION - I have around $19 grand to put down on this car...the rest i will have to pay off. I am looking to not pay off more than 2 years and try and not exceed a monthly payment of $300-350. Do you think I should try and get this touring model and use this problems to my advantage, or get a new 03 base for $26-27(which is alittle out of my price range) Also, since the 05's are coming out, my nissan dealer still has 4-5 03's to get rid of...What is the lowest you think I could talk them down on a Base, or enthusiast model?

ok, I think I covered everything, so let me know what yall think about this.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Audito350Z

I'd shop around... there's a lot of 03 models on dealership's pre-owned lots... spend a little more and get something not as abused, you'll be happier and have less hassle dealing with warranty issues on a pre-owned car

PeteH
Old 05-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Mike DeLaTorre

Hello,
$27,800.00 seems somewhat high to me. Average wholesale on a 2003 Z is around $21 - $22,000.00. I've sen several 2004 Z's going at the auction for $24 - $25,000.00.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

20k at most if its got the tranny issue.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:38 AM
zeroday

THE PRICE....When I first looked at it, it started at $29...and I was like "double hell no" on that! I could get a brand new one for that much...But at the end of last month they lowered it down to $27,8--.....

you're saying you can you get a loaded touring minus NAV for 29k new?

i got mine when they first came out and paid 39k OTD (loaded with NAV) looks like if i sell this thing im gonna get beat over the head. again.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:43 AM
dank311

Hey Mike,

How can I get an 04 for 24-25??? What auctions are you talking about?

There aren't to many places to look for a Z in TN...all the dealers are charging for new ones.

Basically, I am looking for any Z that is an enthusiast model or better...and I'm trying to keep it below $25 grand to meet my price range and preferred monthly payments...

Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-06-2004, 12:01 PM
dank311

no, I was saying that I could just get new 03 or 04 model from my local dealership(or even 05 model if the dont raise the prices) for that much. I believe their base and enthusiasts are no more than $29 grand. I mean since the 05s are coming out, they are going to want to get the 03's off the lot. So, I could possibly get a brand new enthusiast model less than the used touring model at acura.

Im not sure if Acura will go for low $20's for that touring model. Even though there are some messed up things about it, it is still under warranty. Everything should be taken care of by nissan.

How much do you think I could talk a dealer down to for a new 03??? They have a few that have been on their lots for a while now. I'm wondering If I could get one down in my price range...

Jon
Old 05-06-2004, 01:01 PM
elyliu

Why do you want to get a car that you KNOW already have problems?

Get a 04.5 one or wait a bit for the 04.5 one get down to a price you want.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Mike DeLaTorre

Originally posted by dank311
Hey Mike,

How can I get an 04 for 24-25??? What auctions are you talking about?

There aren't to many places to look for a Z in TN...all the dealers are charging for new ones.

Basically, I am looking for any Z that is an enthusiast model or better...and I'm trying to keep it below $25 grand to meet my price range and preferred monthly payments...

Thanks,
Jon

Nashville, Tn. has the second largest auto auction in the nation.
It's called, "Manheim Auto Auction." Find a wholesaler and pay him a fee (Typically around $4-5 hundred) to find you a 2004 Z.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:12 PM
EnthusiastZ

Originally posted by dank311

How much do you think I could talk a dealer down to for a new 03??? They have a few that have been on their lots for a while now. I'm wondering If I could get one down in my price range...

Jon
If this dealer does in fact have NEW (never been titled/registered) 03's left over you should be able to get a BASE model for 25K or even less.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:58 PM
dank311

Yea, I remember a younger guy at my Nissan dealer telling me that he could get me a car through some type of auto auctions, but I didn't get all the details from him...Maybe I should go give him a visit.

How can I find a wholesaler? Can somone at Nissan go to the auctions?

Jon
Old 05-06-2004, 03:40 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice on the used one is to run, not walk, away from it. Even if Nissan fixes the problems under warrenty do you really want to spend the time/grief dealing with a used car with that many problems? Plus who knows wjat else may be wrong.

Go for a new Entusiast. You won't get one for 25gs but maybe 27gs or so & your starting with a new car. Check dealers outside Tn on the Nissan website.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:21 PM
dank311

Has anyone used carsdirect.com? Supposively they have a service where they provide you with the "real" dealer invoice and give you advice to get new cars below invoice. They also supply you with a local internet sales manager at nissan that is associated with carsdirect.com. I already got an email with my VIP sales manager to contact.

Also, has anyone used carpricesecrets.com ?

What is the invoice on a 2003 or 2004 enthusiast model?

Jon
Old 05-06-2004, 06:34 PM
tclchicago1

try going to www.edmunds.com usually the dealerships honor their pricing. but im telling dont by that z your talking about.. trust me, for that price you can get a new one if you really browsed around.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:47 PM
chemismailife

because of the tire feathering, is it even worth buying it?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:08 AM
FairladyZ

Wait for the new one, that car has been abused. Plus you dont want to buy a used car when you can take a small hit and buy a base 350Z. Think about it do you actually want to pay 27,000 on someone elses garbage?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:42 AM
MA4

my babied Silverstone 2003 touring has none of the above mentioned problems and I would sell it for $27,000 today if you want to buy it. My goal is to be in a black roadster asap or atleast before the end of the summer.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:39 AM
dank311

Well, the only reason I am interested in the touring at acura is b/c I can talk them down to low $20's since it has those problems....

Won't nissan fix these problems if its under warranty?

Explortainment, Email me about your car...I might be interested...

AGORDON3@midsouth.rr.com
AOL IM: danksilvia

Jon
Old 05-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Montez

I'm with Fairlady why pay that much for someone elses headache, most likely they rid themselves of it because of the issues. I see way to many 350's on used lots, just search around you will find a better car.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:36 PM
dank311

yea, I went searching today and found another touring model with navigation for $24,999...and it only has 10K miles on it. I didnt get a chance to test drive it since I was in a hurry, but I will be back up there soon to give it a test drive...

I am also looking at a brand new 04 models...I have found a dealer that is willing to work with me at invoice pricing...which is as follows:

24,700 for a base
26,- - - for an enthusiast

Jon

Quick Reply: Used 350Z, 3 defects/problems, should I buy it, and how much should I offer?