2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

question about automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 02:06 PM
leykias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb question about automatic

hello all!

just a quick question about automatics in general.

say you floor the gas pedal on a automatic i was wondering how come all of a sudden the rpm's takes a sudden jump higher...???

i was wondering if tha'ts bad for the car, because i dont' even have to gas the pedal to the floor and the rpm's will jump....

i noticed while driving my mom's audi a4(mt 1998) when i floor it....the rpm's go up at a constant rate.

does this sudden jump have to deal with only automatics???

if so, is it ok to floor an automatic? will i be hurting my engine?

oh man i wish i had manual =(

after driving my friends' 350z (mt) i can tell you that there is a NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE in acceleration!!!!!

boo!!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 02:16 PM
grifferjr

Default Re: question about automatic

Originally posted by leykias
hello all!

say you floor the gas pedal on a automatic i was wondering how come all of a sudden the rpm's takes a sudden jump higher...???

i was wondering if tha'ts bad for the car, because i dont' even have to gas the pedal to the floor and the rpm's will jump....

i noticed while driving my mom's audi a4(mt 1998) when i floor it....the rpm's go up at a constant rate.

after driving my friends' 350z (mt) i can tell you that there is a NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE in acceleration!!!!!

boo!!!!
do you not have the automatic that also has the manual mode. I have the touring auto with the 5speed manu-matic. I also was really dissappointed at first with my acceleration, until I started learning how to effectively use the shifter. Now i love my automatic, cause when in traffic I dont have to be on again and off again with the clutch, but when i want to get up an go a little i can do so with the shifter. Not to mention the fact that with the 2003's, being an automatic, it looks like I avoided the rather widespread tranny and clutch problem.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:17 PM
fblue

The noticable difference is in your head. If anything, an automatic will out run a manual in a straight line race. No way you will shift better than a computer will, unless you are a top top driver. I know everyone on this board says MT's are faster, but that is not true. They may be more fun, but are not faster. All drag racers have automatic trannys. They know an automatic will shift more precisely and take away the chance for human error. While you might have your best run with a manual, 4/5 of you top times will be with an auto. You will be much more consistent with an automatic.

Last edited by fblue; 05-26-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:43 PM
elyliu

the jump is just the transmission downshifting....

auto is slower because automatics have torque converters. torque converters suck up power between shifts.

the race cars w/ the "auto" are actually manual cars with the clutch controlled electronically by a computer.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:59 PM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by fblue
The noticable difference is in your head. If anything, an automatic will out run a manual in a straight line race.
I agree that human error is more prevelant in a MT, but you have to remember that the AT puts down less horses to the wheels than a MT.

Last edited by theSmoothDome; 05-26-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:19 PM
350black

The noticable difference is in your head. If anything, an automatic will out run a manual in a straight line race. No way you will shift better than a computer will, unless you are a top top driver. I know everyone on this board says MT's are faster, but that is not true. They may be more fun, but are not faster. All drag racers have automatic trannys. They know an automatic will shift more precisely and take away the chance for human error. While you might have your best run with a manual, 4/5 of you top times will be with an auto. You will be much more consistent with an automatic.
Race cars autos????? Try a manual trans with a comp to engage the clutch. I drove a F-360 modena that had an F1 trans just like an indy car, hit the paddle, comp controls the clutch and shifts. Manual Z is faster than an auto, had both out at the track 5/5 times faster in the manual. I believe you are trying to justify buying your Z in an AT
Old 05-26-2004, 07:26 PM
leykias

350black......

it might be just my mind..but when i drove my friends 350z (mt) i was DEFINITELY quicker in acceleration...

idunno if it's just my mind..but I doubt it...

cause it really did feel like a different car.

anyways.....different tranmissions for different needs i guess.

personally they I don't think they should have made the 350z with the option of automatic like the s2000.

maybe that's why you don't see too many s2000's on the road...

i see more and more z's on the road in socal....

the exculsivity of this car is going down the drain!!!!!!

WHY OH WHY!!!!

i need a body kit =(
Old 05-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Aggro_Al

Default Re: question about automatic

Originally posted by leykias
hello all!

boo!!!!
Is your Z past it's break-in period? Some how I get the impression that it is new.

That little jump in RPM is the AT downshifting. If you want to avoid that little jump switch to manual mode and downshift before you floor it. The reason your mom's A4 doesn't shift like the Z is because you are comparing an old-school automatic to a state-of-the-art apdaptive 5speed AT w/manual mode. Technology has advanced significantly since 1998.

Yes, it is OK to floor the AT. The AT and the MT have the same engine there is no reason to treat them different. Just make sure you are past break-in.

I think the noticable difference in acceleration is in your head. You'll find that both AT and MT cars stock, if driven well, have about the same times.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:49 PM
leykias

haha i think you misread my post because my mom's audi is manual transmission......

but thank you guys for telling me that the transmission is downshifting...i never thought of that for some reason........

i feel like i'd be hurtin the engine..when i'm downshifting because i can't rev match like i can with a manual transmission....

o well...heheheh thanks guys!
Old 05-27-2004, 03:39 AM
elyliu

also manual might feel faster because the MT is 6sp and auto is 5sp (i think). Thus the gearing on the gears for MT is shorter, thus the faster (in combination w/ the lack of a torque converter)
Old 05-27-2004, 09:05 AM
fblue

Originally posted by 350black
Race cars autos????? Try a manual trans with a comp to engage the clutch. I drove a F-360 modena that had an F1 trans just like an indy car, hit the paddle, comp controls the clutch and shifts. Manual Z is faster than an auto, had both out at the track 5/5 times faster in the manual. I believe you are trying to justify buying your Z in an AT
I believe you don't know what you are talking about. I don't need to justify why I have an automatic to anyone. I get what I want. If I wanted a stick, I would have gotten a stick. I didn't want the aggravation of driving stick in bumper to bumper traffic, while I'm on the phone talking business.

Last edited by fblue; 05-27-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:34 PM
elyliu

o no...is this the beginning of of a mt vs at flame war?.....
Old 05-27-2004, 02:25 PM
fblue

Originally posted by elyliu
o no...is this the beginning of of a mt vs at flame war?.....
No, I love manual trannys. I've had a few. It's just at this stage of my life, I cannot envision commuting to work in bumper to bumper traffic with lots of idiots on the road, with a manual. I'd end up in jail for killing someone. Besides, I make a lot of calls in the moring to discuss my strategy for the day. I could not concentrate as much if I had to shift back and forth.

Manual is fun. If I worked in NYC and only needed a weekend car, I would have gotten manual. When I worked in the city I had a MT Pontiac Firehawk with 345HP. Obviously, I can handle a stick.

Now I work on Long Island and I couldn't imagine driving a stick back and forth. I just have a problem with people who mock automatics. They are just plain ignorant. To each his own.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:28 PM
SweatyPalm

Originally posted by 350black
I believe you don't know what you are talking about. I don't need to justify why I have an automatic to anyone. I get what I want. If I wanted a stick, I would have gotten a stick. I didn't want the aggravation of driving stick in bumper to bumper traffic, while I'm on the phone talking business.
fblue, honestly i think you are the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. Where did you get the fact that "4/5 of you top times will be with an auto."
All of a sudden, "....while I'm on the phone talking business" That's full of crap.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:48 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

I test drove a 6sp before I bought my AT and it felt faster. And I suck at driving a manual(never had one so I haven't had much practice). In my auto, second gear is REALLY short. Almost pointless. Slap it over to tip, and you can rev over the programmed shift point and the engine comes alive a little more.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:00 AM
Amnbex

I'm so tired of these flame wars.

Can I drive a stick? Yes.

Do I drive a stick? No.

The auto gives me 95+% of the stick's performance without the hassle of having to drive manual 100% of the time. Plus, although I would have an MT if I could, I have other people in my family to think about when considering this car.

All this elitist manual > 5at or 5at > manual crap is so dumb.

Its still a Z and they're still a fellow Z owner, show some respect for their choice of tranny. I don't go around to manuals going, hahahah, I have a Torque Converter and I launch better. Why do manuals seem to run around to auto's yelling, hahaha, we have 10 more hp.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:11 AM
grifferjr

All this elitist manual > 5at or 5at > manual crap is so dumb.

Its still a Z and they're still a fellow Z owner, show some respect for their choice of tranny. I don't go around to manuals going, hahahah, I have a Torque Converter and I launch better. Why do manuals seem to run around to auto's yelling, hahaha, we have 10 more hp. [/B][/QUOTE]

well put amnbex!! I have the auto, and i love it. can i drive a stick? Of course. Do I want to drive a stick? Well yeah, but only a fraction of the time. An auto is much more practical, while a stick is much more fun, at times. In the end we are all part of the same family. Anyone who would judge a fellow Z owner by what tranny they had, auto or manual, is simply being a moron.

so in short, all you morons out there thinking you are a better driver cause you have this or that, shut up, get along, and lets all just enjoy our cars. nuff said!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 04:59 AM
fblue

Originally posted by SweatyPalm
fblue, honestly i think you are the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. Where did you get the fact that "4/5 of you top times will be with an auto."
All of a sudden, "....while I'm on the phone talking business" That's full of crap.
How do you know what I do, you numbskull? You probably work at Taco Bell. I meant that he didn't know what he was talking about when he said I was rationalizing why I got an automatic. Go back to work at the drive through at Taco Bell and go get your shinebox.

Last edited by fblue; 05-28-2004 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:55 AM
leykias

Thumbs down

HELLO

i did not start this tread in trying to start some manual vs automatic wars!!!!

please guys....just chill. We are all z owners and shouldn't fight over something so trivial!!!

with that said have fun with your cars!!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:44 PM
asad kahloon
Banned

no lets fight

Quick Reply: question about automatic