Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

BOOOO! ZISME confirms the RE040s.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002 | 12:42 AM
droideka

Thumbs down BOOOO! ZISME confirms the RE040s.

I don't care what kind of test "they" ran or what "they" think of the tires. They suck, plain and simple. Do a search at www.is300.com or www.audiworld.com within the forums for RE040s. Nothing but complaints.

RE040 Confirmed

Tirerack Survey Results Scroll down about 2/3rds of the page for the RE040 listing. Got to love those numbers from real people just like us.

Would you buy again? 4.4 out of 10
Old 06-10-2002 | 12:57 AM
raceboy
Banned

I had the 040's on my MR2 Spyder and I can confirm that they REALLY SUCK. They are extrememly soft in the sidewall with much more emphasis on ride and noise VS performance. These are what are called an OEM tire. They are mainly sold through dealerships at astronomical prices. Notice at Tirerack.com that the #1 rated tire in the Max Performance section; the S03, actually costs a lot less than the much lower rated '040's!! If the car does end up with these tires, I will intentionally destroy them at the first track event and switch to a set of shaved (to 6/32") S03's. I will also pick up an extra set of the Rays for some race tires.
Old 06-10-2002 | 01:15 AM
BrianZ

Per ZISME on that-other-site:

"OS2 AND OS3'S were never brought up by us...just rumored by other people. Everyone has there own opinion but we have tested the RE040 tires and they are good tires."

Wow, sounds like a lot of WEASEL-words to me.

"Good" tires. Is Nissan trying to produce a "good" car or a "great" car? My wife's Camry is a "good" car, but I sure wouldn't buy one.
Old 06-10-2002 | 01:39 AM
zvid

Are the 0S2's and 0S3's run flat tires also??
Old 06-10-2002 | 02:11 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Looks like we will all be replacing those tires soon enough. Looking at the tread wear on the survey that droidekaus posted (4.4) probably will get less than 10K miles out of them with any kind of serious driving.
Old 06-10-2002 | 04:20 AM
droideka

Originally posted by JmanZ
I'm not trying to dog anyone... but here's a thought....

If you don't like the tires your Z comes with, get new ones.

It wouldn't be the first time a car had it's stock rubber changed right out of the showroom and my guess is it won't be the last.

While I agree that it would be great if the 350Z had the best rubber right out of the showroom, that's not overly cost effective and they are trying to deliver a world class sports car for a low price here. I do believe that was their point with the whole under $30,000 target.

Just my two cents...

-j-
I can see your point, Jman, but when I drive out of the lot I will have just spent $35K + taxes for my new car. The last thing I want to do is spend another grand on the tires that should have come on the car in the first place. S03s or Pilot Sports, there is no substitute.

I'm growing leary of these little dissappointments that keep cropping up. First, we learn that the 18s are NOT the nice polished/satin wheels we've been staring at for months, instead, painted wheels on par with what comes on the Maxima. Second, the OEM tires are now some of the worst tires we could ever imagine they'd put on the car. The real icing on the cake would be if the performance figures turn out to be a complete letdown after all of this time.

I think at that point I'd just implode.
Old 06-10-2002 | 05:03 AM
raceboy
Banned

The idea about cost would be great except the S03's are CHEAPER!!
Old 06-10-2002 | 05:07 AM
2003z

Originally posted by droidekaus

I'm growing leary of these little dissappointments that keep cropping up. First, we learn that the 18s are NOT the nice polished/satin wheels we've been staring at for months, instead, painted wheels on par with what comes on the Maxima. Second, the OEM tires are now some of the worst tires we could ever imagine they'd put on the car. The real icing on the cake would be if the performance figures turn out to be a complete letdown after all of this time.

I think at that point I'd just implode.
I feel your pain, but this is what comes with pre-ordering before the specs are released. You just have to trust that it will be great.
Old 06-10-2002 | 05:21 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by 2003z

I feel your pain, but this is what comes with pre-ordering before the specs are released. You just have to trust that it will be great.
I would argue that because NNA is asking people to order with insufficient information that they have a responsibility to provide a great car, not just a "good" one.
Old 06-10-2002 | 05:23 AM
droideka

Originally posted by 2003z

I know, I know. I seem like a real pissbag, huh? To explain myself, I had a CL-S that came off lease in Feb of this year and since then I've been driving my wife's Civic sedan. Now the CL-S wasn't the fastest thing on the road, but it was a helluva lot quicker than that Civic!

Every day in that Civic is a reminder of just how far away my Z is.
Old 06-10-2002 | 06:40 AM
TCL

Just one thought. How many people have run the RE040s with as low a profile as on the 350Z? If the main issue is a soft sidewall, that drawback may be felt less in an extremely low profile tire. Anyway, if the Pilot Sports come in that size, we have a good alternative when we need/want to replace them.