Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Rare 350Z Paint...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:03 AM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rare 350Z Paint...

Wow...I just found out about this liquid aluminum paint that the Z has from the factory. It costs 1,100 extra but I still cant see the difference from chrome silver. Maybe a little brighter???
Old 06-15-2004, 07:10 AM
LBSOHK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea , its a little brighter than Chrome Silver but not worth + $1100 IMO ...
but I think Nissan really missed with that color, would rather see some more brickyards...
Old 06-15-2004, 07:17 AM
WayneTN

I've seen the color in the showroom only. I was standing right beside it looking at the Z and I had just thought is was a CS like mine. The dealer pointed out the color and said it looked lighter outside the showroom. I had to look close to see that it was lighter than a CS.

I, too, don't think it would be worth the money unless it were a lot better paint (i.e., a lot more durable) than what the rest of us have.

WayneTN
Old 06-15-2004, 07:24 AM
ohw

LA has been discontinued. If you are into rare items, this may become a collector's item in 10-20 years, like the BY.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:48 AM
soupnazi1

Originally posted by ohw
LA has been discontinued. If you are into rare items, this may become a collector's item in 10-20 years, like the BY.
Really? Linkage please.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:44 AM
ohw

Sorry, no links on this one. This came from my dealer when I tryied to order one. He wanted to, but could not take my $ for the LA option.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:49 PM
toykilla

marketing trick, charge more and someone will pay it
Old 06-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Jetpilot718

Yeah, total ********. Paint is paint (not meaning quality, but chemical wise). No one is gonna tell me that a different arrangement of atoms is gonna cost $1100 more.

Dealer told me if I wanted superblack it would cost me $1000 more too. Guess how long it took me to reach the dealership's exit door..
Old 06-15-2004, 01:36 PM
ZxRage

But for the record, the Brickyard was worth it, even though it didn't cost anything extra.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:58 PM
HEUGE
Charter Member #40

No more bricks (I like to be special). Nissan needs to have some metallic BRG or Monte Carlo Blue Z's for 2005.

Of course they will most likely go for gold or yellow since they haven't been done yet.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:05 PM
nitrousoxidex

You know what would be Cray Z? A totally chrome car, all shiny n stuff...
Old 06-16-2004, 01:47 AM
fisherprice

would rather see some more brickyards
NO!!!!

Isn' the rarest color Mr.Kay's Yellow??
Old 06-16-2004, 04:16 AM
SQUILL

I can confirm Liquid Aluminum is discontinued my buddy is a sales manager at a nissan dealership.

I bought a 2004 L.A. coupe myself IMHO was it worth it....ehhh.......welllll....... i dont know probably not .

The biggest difference is when the L.A. is in direct sunlight .. ive never seen a car so bright it hurts your eves to look at! If you park a L.A. car next to a chrome silver you can see the difference ....is the difference worth 1100 .....well as its now discontinued obviously not!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:26 AM
Jaki

I wish yellow Z would come out...
Old 06-16-2004, 07:16 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by Jetpilot718

Dealer told me if I wanted superblack it would cost me $1000 more too. Guess how long it took me to reach the dealership's exit door..
0 to 60 feet in 5.4?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:12 AM
FairladyZ

Here in Texas it seems all the 350's on the lot are LA.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:50 AM
mcduck

Yeah, total ********. Paint is paint (not meaning quality, but chemical wise). No one is gonna tell me that a different arrangement of atoms is gonna cost $1100 more.
Hmm... please stick to flying the planes and not painting cars... you'd go out of business in a week.

If you are mixing just basic colors, then your statement is true. But few colors these days are just a basic color with clearcoat over the top.

On just a color basis, some are harder to mix than others... so there's a few dollars there.

Then you have metal flakes... type, color, and concentration of metal flakes change the price again.

Then, based on the paint (particularly the size of the metal flakes) there's the aspect of actually spraying the paint. Big metal flakes are harder to spray because they can clog small nozzles... again, more cost

Throw in that many colors are not, in fact one paint, but several layers of different color paints. Just ask anyone who has seen Daytona Blue sprayed. If I recall correctly, there is a silver layer, a green layer, then a blue layer to make that color match the rest of the car.

Then there are curing issues based on the exact mix of paint.

And those are just factors that affect a factory paint job, let alone if you want a super slick custom job.

So, yes, different paints do cost very differently to produce. Now, whether it is fair to charge extra for more expensive colors is a different question... maybe they should average it out over the cost of all cars produced... but then the people buying cars with less expensive colors are subsidizing those with more expensive colors.

<whew> All that said, I'm glad LA is on the way out... what did they need 3 colors for anyway? It was never a suitable replacement for BY. Wonder what they'll be putting in it's place next year. I've heard yellow from some semi-reliable sources.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:12 PM
MA4

In 25 years I would imagine people will be paying 50k for a mint condition 2004 LA or 2003 BY, and maybe 40k for a mint SS, SB, DB, LS, CS, PP, RL. So I think the extra $1100 is worth it (if you are going to keep your Z mint)...in the long run. Remember Beanie Babies...lol

On a side note. I like shiny metal objects, so I would pay $1100 just to have something that impressed me, I haven't seen the LA in person to know if it impresses me or not. SS impressed me.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:27 PM
6SpeedZ

MCDUCK WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??!!!!???

I'm sorry but you just pulled every word of that out of your ***. Just leave to the simple fact that they're going to charge a little more for a limited production color. I have an automotive paint supply store here in Knoxville and mix tons of paint every single day. And yes I actually make every single color in the spectrum right in my store with what ever toners and pearls are in the formula. If you enter code "K25" in the computer you will see that Liquid Aluminum(offered only on the 350Z) has only one ingredient, a toner called Satin Aluminum. Now when comparing LA to say Chrome Silver you'll notice LA is much finer(not as sparkley as CS), thus not a "harder to spray bigger flake." Liquid Aluminum is cheaper for me to make than any other color offered on the 350Z!! On the subject of Daytona Blue aka B17, someone has indeed pulled the wool over your eyes. That was quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Taking 3 steps to create that color? Come to Knoxville and I'll save you a sh!tload of money because I can make it in one little can. Trust me I've done it several times for both myself and the dealerships and bodyshops that I supply. And it has matched perfectly every time. If anything PPW (QX1) is the most expensive to make and spray because it is the only tri-coat offered. Meaning you apply a solid white base with a silver (yes, silver) pearl over it in a mid-coat, then clear. This is not a bashing by any means I just wanted to set the whole situation straight. Cars and car paint are my life and I am very passionate about what I do.

Quick Reply: Rare 350Z Paint...